SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Robert Morris - Words The Pure Language

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Lysa

East TN (for now)

Robert Morris - Words The Pure Language

I am starting this thread for those who are interested in the gift of speaking in tongues... for THOSE who want to watch and learn.

DO NOT TRY TO ARGUE WITH ME OR ANYONE ELSE OVER TO SPEAK IN TONGUES OR NOT! That's not what this thread is for.

Greg doesn't want arguing and neither do I. I'm not starting it for that.

I know that there are those who have prayed for this gift and not received it. If this is you, please watch this video by Robert Morris, I hope it encourages you!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9nQW9yCXU0

God bless,
Lisa

2015/7/4 10:01Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re: Robert Morris - Words The Pure Language

Lisa: As one who struggled a bit with tongues as I was seeking to be filled with the Holy Spirit, let me give a bit of personal experience and testimony that might help someone else.

I was raised a pentecostal. When I was about 14 years old, I began seeking God to be baptized in the Holy Spirit, but there were some doctrinal roadblocks and misconceptions that stood in the way. I can remember being at church camp year after year, seeking to be filled. I would respond to the altar call at about 9 pm and pray earnestly until 2 am. The wonderful presence of God would so flood my soul that I could not contain myself. It was like electricity. I would shout, cry, worship, praise, sing, etc. I was lost for hours in God's presence. Yet I would leave discouraged because I had not yet spoken in tongues. Based on what I had been taught, I had not been baptized in the Holy Spirit until I had spoken in tongues.

Yet this was not the root issue. Deep inside I knew that I was not yet "sanctified enough" to qualify for the Holy Spirit to dwell in me. I was taught that the sanctified life meant that you never sinned again. Perhaps I misunderstood at my young age, or perhaps we taught a form of sinless perfection. Our movement was not totally uniform in its teaching on this issue, and I was definitely raised in the more strict and legalistic part of our movement. I was always reminded in my conscience that I was not perfect yet, and I would think that I needed to repent more in order to receive the Holy Spirit.

At 18 years of age, I heard a minister that was considered by some to be more "liberal" in our movement teach that I did not need to come to some arbitrary point of perfection in order to qualify for the baptism of the Holy Spirit. Instead, I needed the power of the Spirit filled life in order to have victory over sin. It was total revelation to me. I responded that evening and within 30 minutes was enjoying worshipping and praising the Lord in another tongue. I was so filled with joy and the presence of the Lord was so powerful.

I have learned a few things about the baptism of the Holy Spirit as I have studied the Word and observed and prayed with others.

1) The qualification for the Baptism of the Holy Spirit is that one must first be born again. I can find no other Biblical qualification. I don't have to be perfect in my flesh, only regenerate in my spirit. Reference the original 120 and those of the household of Cornelius.

2) I personally don't believe that you MUST speak in tongues to be filled with the Holy Spirit. I do believe that the most prominent evidence, Biblically, that one had been filled with the Holy Spirit is speaking in tongues. I cannot understand why one would be baptized in the Holy Spirit and NOT want to pray in tongues. He who prays in an unknown tongue edifies himself. When I pray in tongues my spirit prays (my spirit is in communication with the Holy Spirit...see 1 Cor. 2.) even though my understanding is unfruitful. When I pray in tongues I give praise well. The point is that you are not seeking tongues, but rather desiring to be indwelt and empowered by the Holy Spirit of God. Tongues are simply a wonderful benefit of this infilling.

3) We must receive the Baptism of the Holy Spirit and we will speak in tongues EXACTLY the same way we are born again. It is a gift of His grace that we MUST receive by FAITH. When I pray in tongues in my personal prayer time, I do so by faith, just as I would have to step out in faith if God moved upon me to deliver a message in tongues or an interpretation in the assembly.

4) God is much more willing to baptize us in the Holy Spirit than we are desirous to receive this baptism. I don't believe it was ever intended to be optional equipment for a believer. It is God's will that ALL believers be empowered by His Holy Spirit for boldness and for supernatural ministry.

2015/7/4 11:53Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Sister,

Thank you for raising the subject that can be encouraging for some believers. Though one of the reasons we do not want people usually linking to outside sermons, we just cannot endorse or review all materials and sermons out there. So we encourage saints to try and post mostly sermons from SI for discussion.

Here is a sermon on SermonIndex that is excellent by Jim Cymbala speaking on the subject of tongues, I highly recommend this one:

Praying in Tongues by Jim Cymbala
http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/myvideo/photo.php?lid=3603

2015/7/4 12:47Profile
Lysa

East TN (for now)

Re: twayneb

twayneb,

I agree with everything you said and that that sermon was in agreement as well, if you listened to it. I do believe that you would be in agreement!

Greg,

I will do better in the future to remember not to post to outside stuff but I was so excited of this sermon, I wanted to share it! I do hope you listen to it.

God bless,
Lisa

2015/7/4 18:31Profile
wayneman

Michigan

Re:

This is a good, well-rounded teaching on the subject. What I got from it is that the gift of tongues is more important than I thought.

2015/7/5 20:48Profile
Lysa

East TN (for now)

Re:

Quote:
by wayneman
This is a good, well-rounded teaching on the subject. What I got from it is that the gift of tongues is more important than I thought.

This is true, wayne!! Thank you for taking the time to listen to it!!

God bless!!

2015/7/5 21:32Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy