SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : A PLACE OF PERFECT REST by David Wilkerson

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 A PLACE OF PERFECT REST by David Wilkerson

There exists a place in Christ where there is no anxiety about the future. In this place, there is no fear of sudden calamity, of affliction, of unemployment. There's no fear of man, of falling, of losing one's soul. This place is one of total confidence in God's faithfulness. The writer of Hebrews calls it a place of perfect rest.

Such perfect rest was offered to Israel. But the people's doubt and unbelief kept them out of God's rest: "They to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief" (Hebrews 4:6). The Israelites lived in constant fear and dread, always waiting for the next crisis. As a result, they were desolated in their trials.

If Israel had entered into this rest, God's work in His people would have been complete. But because they didn't, the Lord continues to search in every generation for a people who will enter: "There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God" (Hebrews 4:9).

God is telling us, "This offer of rest is for you—today. There still exists a place in Me where all doubt and fear no longer exist. It is a place where you will be prepared for whatever may come." Thus, His Word urges, "Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it" (Hebrews 4:1).

Today, multitudes of God's people know nothing of this rest in Christ. As they read the awful reports in the daily news—reports of tragedies, calamities, deaths—they are filled with fear and dread. Their constant prayer is, "Oh, God, please don't take one of my loved ones. I could never handle the grief."

Yet, if you're at rest in the Lord, you won't succumb to such fear. You won't panic or fall apart when you're hit by some unexpected crisis. And you won't lose hope, accusing God of bringing on your troubles. Yes, you will endure the pain that is common to every human being but you will be at rest in your soul, because you will know that God is in control of everything concerning you.

2015/7/2 7:52Profile
dolfan

Alabama

Re: A PLACE OF PERFECT REST by David Wilkerson

I want to use this to encourage Butters.

Butters, David Wilkerson knew God. He knew Him. You can read this post from bro Greg and feel all the frustration and lack of assurance you say you have struggled with. You have something in common with David Wilkerson.

His son has written in his father's biograohy how Pastor W. struggled to rest assured that God loved him. This man who God spoke mightily to and through struggled to even believe that God loved him. He knew it. He believed it but not without bouts of serious prolonged doubt.

You are loved of God, brother. I can't do that inner work to give you rest. I can't explain to you why you are experiencing this long winter. But, I do encourage you to keep fellowship and stay transparent before God with your prayer, and to seek Him diligently.

2015/7/2 13:50Profile
davidkeel

West Sussex, England

Re:

It has been on my mind lately about resting.

Especially sometimes how God can seem like an enemy because of our struggles and striving which arent pertaining to receiving his eternal life by grace
But we ourselves are creating our own self efforts and inner rules.
Maybe others will know what I mean.

It says in Hebrews 4v15 that the law brings wrath.
If you are a natural inner striver like myself and others we can end up doing what we think are Christian things and God begins to feel distant.

But our life is really about what he did for us on the cross and the receiving of that inner fulfilling life by faith and grace that God wants us to have.

And so it became in me about doing Christian things and forming my own self effort in things that I thought would please him, my own small works.

(It's something different than repentance).

But to receive His free gift of life it has to be us moving ourselves out of the way completely for Him to move.
I could see once again it is us truly emptying ourelves of self effort of things that God hasnt asked us to do and which dont have the power to save us and then allowing ourselves to fall upon the grace of God thats freely available.

It's about that act of faith again which we all probably did when we were saved.

We didnt know how to make the Christian life work in us, but one day it just happened.
Because we werent there getting in the way but we had believed and set ourselves on receiving Christs life of saving Grace by faith and following.

2015/7/3 1:53Profile
dolfan

Alabama

Re:

David, that brings back some fond memories of a time right after I was saved, too. That "feeling memory" (like muscle memory??) is one I really treasure. Not to go back to it, but to enjoy it and be reminded about the utter goodness of God to save and clean us. Praise God! Makes me want to worship.

2015/7/3 10:04Profile
davidkeel

West Sussex, England

Re:

Thats right Tim. Its the same lesson that Hudson Taylor learnt when he understood the simplicity of resting and receiving from the Lord.
I'm glad you feel so readily to worhip

2015/7/3 17:22Profile
Elibeth

Re: A PLACE OF PERFECT REST by David Wilkerson

Greg,
Is this all of this message on " the rest",that Bro David is addressing ? Because I do not see where.he teaches how / where we come to this "rest" that Heb.3:1---? is talking
about....

Elizabeth

2015/7/5 16:54Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy