SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Testimonies of "wisdom from above"

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Testimonies of "wisdom from above"

James 3:17 says, "But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere."

What is true wisdom? Another passage (Matt. 11:19) says "wisdom is justified of her children", meaning the fruits of wisdom demonstrate what wisdom really is.

We can test the "children" (read: consequences or outcomes) of our "wisdom" by applying James's teaching.

Am I pure above all in my decisions and thoughts toward my brother/sister? (Philippians 4 "whatever is pure ... think on these things"). Am I polluted by any notion of gain or advantage or even self-puffery in piety? God help us not to be so.

Wisdom from above is "then peaceable....". Pursue peace with all men. Hebrews 12:14, Romans 12:18. Wisdom is relational. That's why it is also "gentle and open to reason." Wisdom is both outward going (gentle) and inwardly receptive (open to reason). It has a mouth and ears, so to speak!

Wisdom from above is "full of mercy and good fruits". Remember, as James also said, "mercy triumphs over judgment" (2:13). We too often resort first to wisdom that informs and reaches conclusions for others about how to live. It is not usually a merciful heart that does so. We live in an era where life is a series of transactions, where life is gauged in cost/benefit analyses that are self-centered. People are means to an end. Wisdom in our generation has become that which is most beneficial and least costly to me and mine. Biblical wisdom -- true Godly wisdom -- is not oriented this way; instead, it is process, it is interpersonal, it is rooted in love (1 Cor. 13). Biblical wisdom is a slow and steady stream of patient mercy as an outworking of the steadfast love of God. It is not just good advice or a timely word in fellowship, although it sometimes is those precious things. Wisdom is experienced more surely in the arm-in-arm life of brothers (sisters) who are born to walk through adversity with one another, a reflection of the Paraclete's work in us as He covers us in God's own mercies.

It is no wonder, then, that the "good fruits" of which wisdom is full is exactly those fruits of the Comforter we find in Galatians 5:22-23.

Lastly, wisdom from above is "impartial and sincere". The two words are fastened together. "Impartial" in the ESV comes from the Greek meaning "without vacillating back and forth between judgments", implying purity of mind that comports well with the urging of that mercy that triumphs over judgment. "Sincere" in the ESV comes from a word with a shared root suffix (kritos, meaning to judge), a word that gives us the English "hypocrite"; the word literally means "not pretending". So, wisdom is the relational mercy, motivated by a pure love that does not see-saw internally about a brother or sister, and is shown by a sincere outward treatment that does not mask other judgmental feelings or thoughts of a brother or sister.

I pray that I am wise from above. Not puffed up about wisdom as sage advice or even simply good counsel, but wisdom from above that is full of mercy and a pure heart for the love of God to brothers and sisters in the Lord.

Case studies are good material to learn from each other's lives. Do you have a time in your life where you were on the giving or receiving end of "wisdom from above"?

2015/6/2 17:03Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Testimonies of "wisdom from above"

QUOTE:

Do you have a time in your life where you were on the giving or receiving end of "wisdom from above"?

Yes.

It happens all the time when there is a dilemma and you wonder how, where, what should my response be? Sometimes the solution is novel, other times scripture comes to mind. The problem is not the LORD not speaking/leading it is me following, obeying.

Sandra

2015/6/3 10:37Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy