SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : This Protestant Denomination Just Blessed Same-Sex Marriage

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

When I was in Bible School I took Mennonite History...while I was there back in the 1960s we were never taught what the early Anabaptist writers wrote or said on issues except for a few. There were no indepth courses offered to teach us this. I find it interesting that others outside of my religious heritage alledgedly know more then I do!

It may also surprise you that I cannot quote Menno Simons or any of the older Anabaptist writers. We were never taught to regard that older (and modern) Anabaptist writers' authority superceeded the WORD itself. They may have been appreciated that they took a stand against the errors of the Reformers and Catholics but beyond that, nothing.

Sandra

2015/5/31 21:48Profile
Lysa

East TN (for now)

Re:

Quote:
by lovejt
i was just wondering.......was there ever a big uproar 'within the church' when divorces were becoming more acceptable in church? During the 70s? When did the divorce rate start to go upwards? It must've been gradual at first then suddenly went up quickly?

I searched some statistics starting at 1950, the divorce rate for first time marriages was steadily over 20% but in the late 1960's around 25% and then in the 70's doubled and has been back and forth over the 50% range ever since.

We accept people, people who are in sin and people who have sinned and people who are going to sin. The Holy Spirit is the only one who convicts of sins not the Church.

God bless,
Lisa

2015/6/1 10:10Profile
lovejt

Re:

Thanks a lot Lisa. :)

2015/6/1 14:09Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Lisa wrote:

"We accept people, people who are in sin and people who have sinned and people who are going to sin. The Holy Spirit is the only one who convicts of sins not the Church. "

I agree with your sentiment, but how do we square this with the apostle Paul instructing the Corinthians to expel a sexually immoral person from the church? Is a practicing homosexual who claims to be a Christian unrepentant?

I agree we must "accept people" but I think we also have to tell them what the Word clearly states.

In other words, accepting does not equal ignoring, or by silence condoning.

For a little more extreme example, what if someone came into a service guzzling out of a bottle of Jack Daniels, or smacking his wife around?

2015/6/1 14:33Profile
Theophila

Re:

Dear Savannah,
I think I can understand your passion about this matter but how do you justify calling your sister's speech, 'ignorant and arrogant'?
The Scriptures do enjoin us to 'always let our speech be seasoned with salt, so it may minister grace to the hearers'.

I could be wrong but I fail to see how ginnyrose's statement constitutes an acceptance of homosexual marriage. I interpreted her comment as what she believes may happen in her denomination, given the current state of affairs.

Please do consider apologizing to her.

Peace to all,

2015/6/2 11:29Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Quote: "I could be wrong but I fail to see how ginnyrose's statement constitutes an acceptance of homosexual marriage."

You are not wrong. It would take a willful misunderstanding to misinterpret her words in such a fashion. She is simply affirming what we all see with our own eyes, namely the continuing corruption of the Church.

2015/6/2 12:17Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

I did more checking...

I did find that the question of remarriage after divorce with a spouse still living was/is an issue that confronted Anabaptist leaders ever since the Reformation. The conclusions were varied - going from accepting it - depending on the situation - to outright rejection.

What is new today is the accepting of same sex unions. However, all of the churches that support it are those that have caved into accepting remarriage after divorce with a spouse living.

It seems to me the core issue is an ignorance of the Holiness of God, obedience to Him.

The first temptation thrust at Eve had at its core the purpose of driving a wedge between husband and wife by disobeying God. The devil succeeded it quite well.

God said "let us make man in our image..." This denotes unity...destroy unity and you have conflict. Everytime in all places in all situations. There is nothing that destroys unity in interpersonal relationships as distrust which is what happens in immorality.

Adulterers, homosexuals, practioners of beastality were sentenced to die under OT law. There was no sacrifice for them to atone for their sin. None. Does this not tell us something about the seriousness of this issue? In the NT Jesus forgives, but in modern times religious people celebrate sin, saying it is of little consequence because we are under grace!

Lord, have mercy! but I suspect God has turned his back on many as per Romans 1.

We live is awful times.

Sandra

2015/6/3 10:28Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re: This Protestant Denomination Just Blessed Same-Sex Marriage

Again, Divorce and remarriage is not applicable to the same-sex marriage debate. First of all, there are arguably some circumstances where divorce and remarriage are biblically permitted. Most evangelical Christians acknowledge that sexual immorality can dissolve a marital union, and that innocent party is then free to remarry (Matt. 5:32).

2015/6/3 12:30Profile
rainydaygirl

Re:

"Because of your hardness of heart Moses permitted you to divorce your wives; but from the beginning it has not been this way. And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery" (Matthew 19:7-9).

(I have always found it interesting that Jesus said, "Because of the hardness of your heart". I feel as if there is much more to those words then anyone wants to give heed too?

Also he allows divorce because of immorality so to me as I see history playing out I look at the sin of fornication as the bottom rung to the ladder. Once society accepted that as no big deal(people living together before marriage and multiple relationships) it was easy to take the next step, obscene entertainment on demand via television and internet, next step diminish marriage in the eyes of society, third step adultery common in marriage, fourth step acceptance of wide spread divorce for any reason, fifth step remarriage no matter cause acceptable(multiple remarriages accepted) sixth step break down of family, seventh step promote homosexual lifestyle, eight step push homosexual lifestyle on children as they grow, ninth step promote and push acceptance via television and internet, tenth step attack and accuse anyone who speaks God's truth about these sins, eleventh step silence anyone who speaks God's truth about these sins, twelfth step force acceptance of homosexual lifestyle as with all other sinful life choices....

all sin is deadly and leads one to hell. all sin is destructive and to my understanding no sin gets a pass. only by coming to Jesus, repenting, fleeing from sin, and living in obedience to Him is a life changed and saved.

2015/6/3 12:57Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

If my wife is running around on me having a extra marital affair, and I divorce her, I have not committed any sin. That's pretty black and white, unless the scripture has been changed by some of the denominations. There is no scripture that condones homosexuality, well not one in the word of God.

2015/6/3 13:15Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy