SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Are you doing your best to do good and avoid evil?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

Are you doing your best to do good and avoid evil?

Are you doing your best to do good and avoid evil?

Unfortunately this is the life and main activity of many people who call themselves Christian.

This is not true Christianity at all. It is a slap in God’s face and sin. No one can be righteous, be reconciled to God, be holy, be perfect, be an new creation, be cleansed from sin or grow in grace by doing this. If any person could do this, than Christ died in vain. This way of live is NOT God’s solution for sin or victory.

Let’s do not forget that when God designed and created man He never intended man to live like that. To live that way actually violates God’s very original purpose and design. His only command was not to eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. Mankind was created enjoy the very life of God within them. When Adam and Eve ate from this tree they lost this reality.

Now Christ Himself is our very life and it is HIS life within us that is our only hope of glory. Now if you are doing your best to do good and avoid evil then you CAN NOT truly experience His life at the same time. How can you? This is the live of Cain. It is you depending on your own efforts and energies. Yes Cain did labor and worked very hard but it all was in VAIN. He totally reject God and the His life.

Are you doing that? If yes, then you must stop and repent because as long as you continue this activity you put yourself against God and you will miss out on Christ’s Life.

True Christianity is Christ Himself living and reigning within you. If you are not enjoying Him then you just have a dead religion.

2015/4/17 11:35
TMK

NC, USA

Re: Are you doing your best to do good and avoid evil?

Tuc-

I admit I like the sentiment of what you are saying, but how do you get around all the NT verses that urge us to DO something?

I agree that the HS resides in us, but we are not just jellyfish that just lie there waiting to be moved. We must act. So yes, absolutely we must do our best to do good and avoid evil. Scripture is plain on this matter.

2015/4/17 11:51Profile

Re:

There is a difference between acting from the flesh of man or being led by the Spirit. If we act from what our minds decide is right then it is the flesh. We need to be acting from the inspiration of the Spirit alone and the only way that we can do that is to have the action of the cross crucifying us and working in us moment by moment.

We cannot improve on the flesh, it has to die. At the beginning of our Christian life, we cannot discern what is from us and what is from the Spirit. We can use scripture as a guide but still then, it comes from our own understanding of scripture and may not be appropriate at the time.

We must only act from the powerhouse of the Spirit within.

2015/4/17 12:20

Re: TMK

I an NOT attempting to get around anything.

True Christianity is NOT passive but truly activated by CHRIST HIMSELF living and dwelling within us.

And yes we must only act from the powerhouse of the Spirit within.

2015/4/17 12:29
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I did a quick google search regarding commands in the NT. there are many. Who is God commanding, the HS or us?

https://www.cai.org/files/theme-sheets/en/a1/sa1019au.pdf

2015/4/17 12:57Profile

Re:

Phi 2:12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.
Phi 2:13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

2015/4/17 13:22

Re:

Our role is to cooperate. The Holy Spirit instigates and we obey. It is only when the old man is crucified moment by moment that the power of our souls is nullified.

2015/4/17 14:40
makrothumia

Texas

Re:

"Whoever would love life and see good days, let him put away perversity from his mouth and keep corrupt talk far from his lips, let him turn from evil and do good."

This was Peter's counsel which he described as -"the grace of God."

Paul said the grace that brings salvation teaches men to deny ungodliness and worldly lust so as to live soberly, righteously and godly in this present age."

These apostles did not have an issue with exhorting their readers to stop sinning and do what is good. I believe they understood grace.

2015/4/17 14:51Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

But there are certain things we must do or not do regardless of our feelings.

Obviously we must obey the leading of the HS and not quash the Spirit. But, for example, we must flee evil whether we feel like it or not. That's not legalism- just wise.

2015/4/17 14:52Profile

Re:

Lets see what happened when Paul did his best to do good and to avoid the evil.

Romans 7:12-23, "Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good. Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful. For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin. For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I. If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good. Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not. For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do. Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me. For I delight in the law of God after the inward man: But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members."

Paul found that in his attempt to do good that he could not, He found out that sin was dwelling in him. When he tried to do good things he failed. When he tried to avoid bad things he failed.

What was the cause of this? He found and saw a law operating in him that was at war against his own will, his own desires and God, Himself. This law would always make him a captive and defeat every effort he ever could ever make. He saw that the root cause for all his sinful acts was this law. These outward acts of sin were CAUSED by this law. So the true solution was not to somehow attempt to stop sinning but TO GET YOU FREE OF THIS LAW!

Now that you see the law and sin and death and know that the only solution to it is to be freed from this law.

Now, Paul knew this fact to be true so then he wrote in Romans 7:24, "O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?"

Now let us look at the law of the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus which is the ONLY solution to this problem.

Romans 7:25, "I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord."

The he goes on Romans 8:1-2,"There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death."

Now here is the GOOD news, "For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death."

2015/4/17 15:03

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy