Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : James 4:5

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

"The true believer, saved by grace, is not of the world, even as our Lord was not of the world (Joh 17:16). Grace has severed the believer from the world; the cross of Christ has made him dead to the world and the world dead unto him. Hence the exhortation in John's Epistle "Love not the world, neither the things of the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world" (1Jo 2:15-16). And believers may turn back to the world, like Demas, and love it for a time. James calls such adulteresses; they leave Him to whom they are espoused, even Christ, and turn to another. The term must have reminded the Israelites of the Old Testament passages in which unfaithful, apostate Israel is pictured as an adulteress and playing the harlot (Jer 3:9; Eze 16:23; Ho 2). It is a solemn exhortation which every true believer should consider carefully; friendship with the world means enmity against God. Verse 5 should be rendered as follows: "Or think ye that the Scripture speaketh in vain? Doth the Spirit, who dwelleth in us, long unto envying?" All the Scriptures testify that worldliness and godliness cannot exist together; think ye then that these Scriptures speak in vain? And the Holy Spirit, who dwells in the believer, does not lust unto envy, for He opposes the flesh and those who walk in the Spirit do not fulfill the lusts of the flesh. But he giveth more grace, yea grace sufficient to overcome by faith the world, for faith is the victory that overcomes the world. He quotes Pr 3:34. God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble."

Gaebelein's Annoted Bible: (KJV)

I no longer have a spirit which is of this world. The Spirit of Christ now lives in me and the Holy Spirit has sealed Him in me and the Holy Spirit does lust unto envy, to destroy the lust of the flesh and gives Greater Grace to overcome the world.

Praise God He is faithful and gives the power of the Spirit of Christ and Blessed Holy Spirit to accomplish my overcoming by the Faith of Christ in me, this enmity against God. For by Grace I am saved and that is not of my own. For it is no longer I who live but Christ who lives in me, and He is my hope of Glory. The life I now live, I live by the faith of the Son of God who loved me and gave Himself for me. It is by His works in me mightily that I then and then only can live for God and not this world. Praise God for His Grace and the Blood poured out of Christ, that He is now in me and I in Him.

In Christ: Phillip

2015/4/16 5:39Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy