SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Repeat this prayer after me

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
JHerndon

Bonifay,Fl

Repeat this prayer after me

I grew up in one church the majority of my life. Consequently, I have only seen things done one way. Now that I am older and I have had the opportunity to travel around the world and be in different church services and seen things done differently I question some things that we do. I know the leadership of my church well and they are godly men who seek first the kingdom of God. However, they do lead people in "the sinners prayer" and have the congregation as a whole repeat a prayer after them. I was just curious on some other point of views on this. I have come to the conclusion that if and when I become a pastor of a church I would not do this. How do others view this practice. Is it unbiblical? Sinful? Or maybe just not a great method?

2015/4/8 23:12Profile
passerby

Re: Repeat this prayer after me

Were you not among those who repeated the sinner's prayer. I'm just curious because as you said it is a practice in your loacal church.

2015/4/9 5:54Profile
Godhouse

The main point is if the prayers actually led to a genuine salvation experience. Nothing is wrong with the sinners prayer if it comes after a sound and convicting sermon and it is repeated sincerely from the heart and in faith

2015/4/9 6:11Profile

I do not use the sinners prayer when i speak to adults whom i believe can understand the concept of salvation when it's properly explain. I let them go to God themselves and pray. But when i talk to children below 15, i use the sinners prayer, still explaining to them. There's no hard a fast rule. The most important thing is genuine conviction of sin, and coming into faith through proper understanding

2015/4/9 6:13
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

This issue with the Sinner's Prayer is a bit anal in my opinion. Some new believer's can pray their heart while others are so new that they are like true newborns needing help in everything but breathing.

Here is an idea and I think it would help ground a new believer in the process. Often times the Roman road is used for the Gospel. What if someone used certain scriptures to pray back to God in repentance? This way they would prayer scripture, repent before God and receive Jesus into their spirits while understanding why they are doing this.

When I became a believer I was taking through the romans road. I didn't know fully understand it but I knew enough to repent. Then I went home and looked up those scriptures again in context to understand more. Then I read the 4 Gospels.

John

2015/4/9 8:26Profile
JHerndon

Bonifay,Fl

Re:

Passerby,

I did repeat the sinners prayer countless times growing up but there was no change in my life. I was genuinely converted at 18. I was sitting in my bedroom not even looking to grow in God because I thought I was good. I was a really moral kid so I thought I was ok. Kinda like a Pharisee. But God came after me and saved me and delivered me from religion and taught me about a relationship with Christ. I don't necessarily think the sinners prayer is some kind of false teaching. I just feel it could give someone false assurance. I was just curious how others viewed it.

2015/4/9 9:12Profile
passerby

Re:

Conversion is a work of God. He knew us even before the foundation of the world, the date of our birth, our childhood, the difficulties that we will have in life, the day of our conversion, and how He will do it. He is the author and finisher of our faith.

We may consider conversion as a moment in our lives and our final salvation as on-going, though the Lord had declared that none of the elect shall eventually fall.

The big failures that we will have, he knew it. Though we may suffer the earthly consequences of our sins, our salvation goes-on by His grace. In the interim we are undergoing sanctification, that all true believers will radiate Christ our Lord, and His will in our lives.

There are indeed false conversions, but no one has been given a mandate to effect conversion which is the work of God alone. However, the preaching of the gospel, preaching about sin, about the judgement to come must continue for
faith comes by hearing the word of God. To preach, baptize, and make disciples of all nations.

Going back to the 'sinner's prayer', it is only God who can
decide, if He will save one, so be it. His hands are not tied-up with our theological understanding or doctrinal sentiments. Or, if He will use it as a preceding event as
He works out our salvation.

But we can fully trust in His words that whosoever believes in Him will not perish and that His grace is sufficient for our weaknesses as we continue to the path of humility and faith in Him, in blessings and sufferings.

His offer of salvation is sincere. The gospel can be simple enough and so encompassing for He knows how deprave we are, that all of us will perish unless He extend His grace.

If you will have unction to offer sinner's prayer, so be it in humility before God, but be very careful about it

2015/4/10 21:26Profile
JHerndon

Bonifay,Fl

Re:

I am not sure where I stand on the whole election thing but I completely agree that salvation is a work of God that's why I don't think it's a good idea to declare someone saved after answering yes to certain questions. Thanks for your insight!

2015/4/10 22:32Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Brother, I would say if you are open to the Spirit at every meeting, HE will do things differently at each one if you allow Him. He very well may have an altar call one night and something another time or nothing!! God is not cookie cutter, people are.

God bless,
Lisa

2015/4/10 23:29Profile
passerby

Re:

On the otherhand as a minister, you maybe asked if there is assurance of salvation or a personal one, am I really saved.

I think one of the things that blessed the hearts of the apostles was that they can trust and were at peace on the autheticity of the salvation of their flock.

Even now, in this age of apostacy, I believe we can still be not too skeptic about ourselves, about others, about the grace of God. Otherwise, souls will anguish in cruel anxieties and despair.

2015/4/11 0:42Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy