SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Disagreements and Unity in the Body of Christ

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Disagreements and Unity in the Body of Christ

That all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. - John 17:21

The world is helpless divided as people have strong opinions on so many different topics and choices in life. These strong beliefs people have even come to the place where hurtful actions are taken against each other because of our desires to be right and have our own way (James 4:1). Many people are divided and hurt over differences in the body of Christ also as the Apostle James wrote to believers who were "warring" against each other. All these differences result in hurt lives, divided believers and the world looking on in shock and amazement at this scene. When we can claim to believe in the greatest news in the world that men can be freed from their sins and point to this life-giving Saviour but in the same breath speak evil of our other brethren that have been redeemed we bring a reproach to the world. This world is looking for something genuine that is worth believing in and giving their lives for. A belief that truly will put them at peace with God and their fellow men.

Disagreements will happen but we are always able to in every conversation or situation take the low road of humility and brokenness. If we are honest with ourselves none of us are ever 100% right. We are faulty, children of Adam and children of dust. Unity amongst differences is greatly needed in our day, whether its differences in opinion, church practice or even at times doctrine! We must never disagree on the fundamental beliefs laid out in the Apostles Creed for instance but we can agree to disagree on many levels of interpretation that the best theologians of the ages have never fully agreed upon. To be one body means to humbly say I am not always right and need to learn from others no matter how mature in Christ I am. In the end we are not talking about just getting along in the Church so that we can be happy but rather we are talking about being lights in this dark world so people may truly believe in the Son of God.

2015/4/6 16:02Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re: Disagreements and Unity in the Body of Christ

AMEN!!!
This is a timely word brother and has been on my heart for some time now. I have to check myself and submit to the Lord all over again and pray each time my blood pressure gets high over things concerning my Savior. "Be angry but do not sin" comes to mind and how we treat each other is indeed a measure of our faith, for "we will be known by how we love one another".
Thank you for this post and may we truly be one with Him as He is one with the Father.

2015/4/6 20:35Profile
dfella

Canton, Michigan

Re:

I am also in agreement and believe this to be a timely word brothers. As I have pondered this very topic this is the conclusion I have come to.

Matthew 13:24-30 Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is likened unto a man which sowed good seed in his field: (25) But while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went his way. (26) But when the blade was sprung up, and brought forth fruit, then appeared the tares also. (27) So the servants of the householder came and said unto him, Sir, didst not thou sow good seed in thy field? from whence then hath it tares? (28) He said unto them, An enemy hath done this. The servants said unto him, Wilt thou then that we go and gather them up? (29) But he said, Nay; lest while ye gather up the tares, ye root up also the wheat with them. (30) Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.

2 Timothy 3:1-5 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. (2) For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, (3) Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, (4) Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; (5) Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

In the first portion we must realize that just because someone claims to be saved and goes to church does not mean they are of the Lords harvest. Jesus said Himself that not everyone coming and professing Him as Lord is going to enter in. Paul also says that there must be heresies among us so those of us who are approved of God will be made known.

Peter says that when judgement begins it is going to begin at the house of the Lord.

In the second portion Paul tells us in the latter days the condition of many professing Christians hearts.

In summary, we will always have tares in our midst, not only when judgement begins at the house of God but even when the tares stand before the judgement seat of Christ trying to justify themselves.

May we take heed lest we choose to partake in the biting and devouring of one another and ultimately fall away and put Christ to an open shame.

With Much Fear and Trembling,

2015/4/6 21:52Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

This is a very timely word, and one that we all
need to give heed to. The tongue is the most
difficult member to control, and if we can conquer
this small member we will have control over
the whole body.

We need to speak the truth, but may it be done in
love. There are many disagreements in which both