SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Christians and Tattoos

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
dougr777

Christians and Tattoos

I have not done enough Biblical study on this topic, but where can I learn more about why many Christians want or have "tattoos" on their bodies? Thanks.

2015/4/1 22:08Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re: Christians and Tattoos

Oh boy. This could be as bad as Calvinism debates. People love their tats.

2015/4/2 6:31Profile
dougr777

Re:

My heart in the matter is not to create division, but to discuss real sound Biblical doctrine on this issue which is something I'm facing right now that I need to get a better understanding on. Yes, this is one of those hot topics, (moderators, please watch this thread.) blessings, Doug

2015/4/2 7:32Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

My personal experience with Christian friends/family that have tattoos got them in order to be "cool." I don't think it was anything much deeper than that.

That being said, I do not believe a legitimate New Covenant biblical case can be made absolutely forbidding tattoos, despite Lev. 19:28. However it would seem obvious that a tattoo should not be distasteful in either content or location.

The proper "plum line" it would seem is 1 Cor. 10:31 ("whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.")

If there is a smidgen of doubt, I personally would not get a tattoo. Primarily because a tattoo says "look at me."

2015/4/2 8:10Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

There was an absolute prohibition against tattoos under the law. God said don't do it. But we have been set free from the law. That being said, if we are born again the lawgiver Himself resides in us and His laws are written in our hearts. If we will fast and pray, putting all of our fleshly desires under subjection the Holy Spirit, He will tell us clearly whether we ought to tattoo our bodies or not. It is not a heaven or hell issue in my opinion, as we are no longer bound to keep the law as a means unto righteousness. But it is an obedience issue and can have a great influence on our spiritual, and sometimes carnal, lives. It really comes down to motive and obedience. Why do we want a tattoo? To look cool as the previous poster stated? That is a pretty carnal motive I think. If your reason is to look cool in the eyes of men, then I think your motive is vanity and you should not be tattooed. What did God say to you? Are you totally in submission and subjection to Him in the matter? I think the issue of tattoos is not cut and dried, but the issue of obedience is cut and dried.

2015/4/2 8:34Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re: Christians and Tattoos

The question that comes to my mind when confronted by things such as this is wether or not it inhibits my witness and or, my ability to love God and my neighbor as myself?
The scriptures seem to say we are at liberty in Christ in such things tho what closely follows the above question (as an extension) is the Romans 14 food law put forth by Paul which makes it an issue of conscience. "Nothing in and of itself unclean but if a man thinketh so then for him it is"

Having Egyptian Coptic Christian friends, I was made aware that they oft have a small cross tattooed inside their wrist interestingly put there by the priest! For which they can, have and in fact often do lose their life as it bears witness to their faith in Christ.
So as TMK made note while it may not be forbidden it does appear to be a heart issue and why we do or don't ultimately reveals the answer.
Does anyone here personally know a spirit filled believer who walks with the Lord who has tattoos and maintains their witness by doing works that glorify Christ?

2015/4/2 9:53Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

I know several such men, including the pastor of our fellowship. They are mightily used of God. Interestingly, their tattoos came while they were in the world or during their early walk with the Lord while they were still babes in Christ. I am not sure if any of them would even be interested in a tattoo now as their priorities are increasingly God's priorities.

2015/4/2 11:38Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Things like tattoos, fashion choices, hair style, etc. often speak silently of a person's priorities. When we grow in the Lord, our priorities increasingly change to be God's priorities, and these carnal things are not God's priorities. But we may still have the tattoos or the habit of a particular style of clothes or hair that continue in our outside appearance, though they are no longer a priority. Lets face it, our wardrobe, as long as it is sufficiently modest, is usually not refreshed upon conversion. We wear what we own, right?

I almost cut my thumb off and wear the scars as proof. They will probably remain with me the remainder of my life. I see an analogy here.

2015/4/2 11:54Profile
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Re:

I know Spirit filled Christians who live fruitfully for Jesus and have tattoos. Most would not have them again. Some would.

2015/4/2 12:25Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re:

I am a Spirit-filled believer with tattoos and I walk with the Lord and maintain my witness, so it wouldn't matter b/c I don't minister to the kinds of Christians or people who would care!!! :) Even if they did care, they don't know I have them.

God bless,
Lisa

2015/4/2 16:29Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy