SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Great Quotes 18

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 Next Page )
PosterThread
Yeshuasboy

Northern Rockies, BC, Canada

Re:

"You do not discover character until pressure comes. You do not discover what you are until you're put into difficult situations. As long as you can control your environment, as long as you can have everything your own way, as long as you can pave the road a head of you and put guard-rails on the side of you, then it's easy to live in the environment you control for yourself. But, you just let the road drop away, and the faces go, and the wind blow, and the flood come, you (will) discover your character. Character is not how you appear to your fellows; character is what you are when everything in which you've had confidence in is gone. Someone says, 'Character is what you are in a dark room alone when no one is watching'. Character is what you are in the midst of the Tornado; is what you are in the midst of difficulty when everything is disrupted and torn - Then, what are you?" - Paris Reidhead (I wrote this down some years back after listening to one of his audio sermons posted on this website. However, I did not write down the title of the message in my journal).

Habakkuk 3:17 - Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines; the labour of the olive shall fail, and the fields shall yield no meat; the flock shall be cut off from the fold, and there shall be no herd in the stalls:

Habakkuk 3:18 - Yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation.

2016/2/21 17:50Profile
Yeshuasboy

Re:

"To efface oneself is one of a preacher's first duties" - Alexander MacLaren. (Excerpt from his farewell sermon)

2016/2/21 18:02Profile
Yeshuasboy

Re:

"We will never have victorious lives (in Christ) until there's that transforming of the mind - Until we accept that fact that my mind isn't mine own, just to wander in the realms of the flesh and the world, and the things down here. I've got to work at it. My thoughts don't like to be corralled; My thoughts like to run into all kinds of things...." - R Edward Miller. (Excerpt from his audio sermon titled, "Carnal mind or Mind of Christ") available here: https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=27243

2016/2/21 20:51Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: Great Quotes 18

Every one of us would confess that we believe in prayer, yet how many of us truly believe in the power of prayer....

For everything depends upon prayer.

Why are many Christians so often defeated? Because they pray so little. Why are may church workers so often discouraged and disheartened? Because they pray so little.

Why do most Christian leaders see so few brought out of 'darkness' to light by their ministry? Because they pray so little. Why are our churches simply not on fire for God? Because there is so little prayer....

We may be assured of this: The secret of all failure is our failure in secret prayer.

~ Albert Richardson, The Kneeling Christian

2016/2/21 21:22Profile
Yeshuasboy

Re:

"It is the great design of the Gospel to bring thoughts captive to the obedience of Christ Jesus. It is far easier to reform men's manners than to renew their minds." - Ralph Venning (Excerpt taken from his book, "The Sinfulness of Sin; 1st published in 1669.)

2016/2/24 0:53Profile
Yeshuasboy

Re:

"6) Conversion begins, is carried on and is completed in the hearts and thoughts of men.

It begins there, for while men are dead in sins they do not consider or regard what is in their heart and thoughts. But when the grace of God comes in power, and they receive it in truth, they begin to think and consider, 'What shall we do to be saved?' Men are in a great quandry in their thoughts, they begin to be disturbed, and their bowels are turned with in them. For this reason, regeneration is called the renewing of the mind, and repentance is a change of mind; the heart becomes a new heart, and when the heart is gained, all the rest follows. If the wicked forsake his thoughts, he will quickly forsake his ways (See Isaiah 55:7). The first turn is in the thoughts. 'I thought on my ways, and turned my feet unto Thy testimonies' (Psalm 119:59); the thoughts go before and the feet follow after. The first movemnet of the Prodigal were in his thoughts; when he came to himself and said within himself, 'I will arise and go my father'. While he was this thinking - it is said, while he was afar off, just taking the first step - his father saw him and had compassion on him.

Not only is conversion begun in, but it is carried on in the heart and thoughts especially, though not exclusively. When others like the Pharisees, study only to make the outside look fair and beautiful, the godly man is employed about his inside, to keep his heart clean. The prayers of godly men are chiefly taken up about their hearts: 'Create in me a clean heart, and renew a right spirit within me' (Psalm 51:10). And as one excellent writer puts it, In what lies the difference between sincere-hearted christians and others, but in the keeping of the thoughts, without which all religion is but bodily excercise? Papists may mumble over their prayers, hypocrites may talk, but this is godliness. As coversion begins and is carried on in the thoughts, so it is completed, finished and perfected in them; it ends there." - Ralph Venning (Excerpt from "The Sinfulness of Sin; page 229; Reprint edt 2008; Banner of Truth Trust )

2016/2/24 1:23Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

"There is nothing impossible with God. All the impossibility is with
us when we measure God by the limitations of our unbelief." - Smith Wigglesworth.

2016/2/26 7:03Profile
Yeshuasboy

Re:

"I AM the Light of the world: He that follows me, shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the Light of Life." - Jesus the Christ (John 8:12)

2016/2/27 13:32Profile
Yeshuasboy

Re:

"Meditate upon these things; give thyself wholly to them; that thy profitting may appear to all." - Paul the Apostle (1Timothy 4:15)

2016/2/27 13:34Profile
Yeshuasboy

Re:

"Go not after thy lusts, but refrain thy self from thine appetites." - Ecclesiasticus 18:30

2016/2/27 13:37Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy