SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : THE BAPTISM IN THE HOLY SPIRIT by Sandeep Poonen

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 THE BAPTISM IN THE HOLY SPIRIT by Sandeep Poonen

Here is a question that may puzzle some Christians. If Jesus was born by the power of the Holy Spirit, then why did the Holy Spirit have to come upon Him when He was baptized? Are there two kinds of interactions with the Holy Spirit for Christians as well?

It is important that we recognize the need for the baptism (immersion) in the Holy Spirit to live a life of increasing purity. This is the only way that we can increasingly reflect Jesus in His purity. But there is an equally important need for the baptism in the Holy Spirit for our service to God that many do not recognize. The Holy Spirit must give us His supernatural gifts if we are to fulfill our calling as membersof the Body of Christ.

Some churches identify spiritual gifts by getting their members to take some sort of Christianized personality test. These tests identify spiritual gifts based on the strengths of various personality types. Now personality tests can help understand human strengths and weaknesses, but this is NOT the power of the Holy Spirit needed for God's work. The supernatural power of the Holy Spiritfor God's work is a gift, and is given even in spite of the weaknesses in our personality. So a man who is afraid to boldly speak about Christ can be supernaturally empowered to speak with the authority of the Holy Spirit in a way that produces true repentancein others (Peter in Acts 2).

So as we study God's Word and look at the life of Jesus, we can learn truths about the baptism in the Holy Spirit as it relates to our lives as well as our calling here on earth.

1. Jesus alone baptizes us in the Holy Spirit. And it is confirmed by faith in God's Word.

We are commanded by Jesus to baptize people in water (Matthew 28:19). But Jesus remains the only One who baptizes people in the Holy Spirit (Matthew 3:11). Even when the apostles laid hands on people to receive the Holy Spirit, it was still Jesus Who did the baptizing.

In the book of Acts and the accounts we read there of the early church, we see that the Holy Spirit did at times fall on people even without anyone laying hands on them (Acts 2:1-4; Acts 10:44-46). But the early apostles also had a definite authority to lay hands on others to impart the Holy Spirit to them (Acts 8:17; Acts 19:6). I see that God used this to validate His authority in His true apostles, and also expose imposters who were greedy and enslaved to sin. We see an example of this in Simon the magician (Acts 8:17-24).

We also see from Acts that the gift of tongues almost always accompanied the receiving of the Holy Spirit. We know that the gift of tongues is the least of the gifts of the Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 12:28). So the gift of tongues was the most basicof gifts of the Holy Spirit, and served as an instant and tangible way that newborn believers could know that their prayers for the Holy Spirit had been answered. But the hope was that this would thereby build up their faith to seek for the greater gifts (1 Cor. 12:31).

So is this still applicable? Do we also receive the baptism in the Holy Spirit by the laying of hands? And does the gift of tongues usually accompany the baptism in the Holy Spirit?

For us today, the Holy Spirit is not received through the laying of hands. I have never heard of anyone in the last many centuries who could lay hands on people such that they would definitely receive the Holy Spirit. I believe that this was the prerogative of the 'God-sent-ones' (apostles) in the early church alone. (Ananias was not an apostle, but he was a sent-one - Acts 9:10-18).

Further, the gift of the Holy Spirit is not confirmed today through the gift of tongues. That gift is most definitely still active and useful in the church today. But, incredible saints of God like John Wesley, D.L. Moody and Charles Finney were clearly filled with the Holy Spirit more than almost any Christian today. They each had Holy Spirit-empowered ministries in their generation. Yet none of them ever spoke in tongues.

One reason why things are different now in both the receiving and the evidence of the Holy Spirit is that we now have the complete written Word of God. The Bible tells us everything that we need to know about the Holy Spirit and life with God. The first century Christians did not have this. So we who have the Bible today can depend (with full confidence) on His Word to have the assurance of the Holy Spirit within us.

We must see that everything in the Christian life hinges on faith in our hearts. And our faith and assurance must ultimately come from the Word of God (Romans 10:17). It must not rest on the evidence of any external sign. There is, in fact, a perverse and wicked instinct within us to seek for signs (See Matt.12:39). And the Word of God acts as a super-sharp sword that penetrates to the deepest parts of us - beyond our soul with its emotions and intellect and into our spirit (Heb. 4:12). As it drives into our innermost being, it seeks to divide between soul and spirit, and show us whether we are baptized in the Holy Spirit (in our spirits), or have been merely excited by some emotional experience (in our souls).

2. The Holy Spirit rested upon Jesus after His baptism and anointed Him with supernatural gifts for His public ministry.

Jesus began His public ministry at the age of 30, after He was baptized in water and the Holy Spirit rested on Him. Jesus had already lived a perfect and sinless life for 30 years - through the power of the Holy Spirit that He had from birth. But the Holy Spirit now "rested upon" Him to equip Him with the gifts He would need for His public ministry of helping others. So it is critical to recognize that the perfect and sinless Son of God was specifically anointed by the Holy Spirit for His public ministry. This was the Father's way, and Jesus submitted to it. Up until then, Jesus was content to remain in subjection to His parents, with no public ministry (Luke 2:51-52).

So it is with all of us who are members of the Body of Christ here on earth. Even when we live by the power of the Holy Spirit in our personal lives, we still need to be anointed with the gifts of the Holy Spirit to be able to serve God and help others. And we need to continually seek to be baptized/filled/be full of the Holy Spirit, so that we can help others as the Spirit-filled Church of Jesus Christ - and not as a social service organization.

3. The baptism/filling with the Holy Spirit in Acts 2 enabled the disciples to stand united and be bold witnesses for Christ. It did not give the disciples immediate victory over sin.

There is no evidence that the disciples got instant victory over their sins on the day of Pentecost. What the baptism in the Holy Spirit did give them was AN AUTHORITY AND A UNITY to proclaim the gospel message. We see Paul filled with the Holy Spirit later, standing united with Barnabas and speaking with authority against evil people (Act 13:9-11).

Let me differentiate this from the fullness of the Holy Spirit that we need for our personal walk. For victory over sin in our own lives, we need to work out our salvation with fear and trembling, consider ourselves dead to sin, not set our minds on the things of the flesh, and be filled with the Holy Spirit to help us put to death our selfish desires. We can each live in victory over sin if we keep listening to the Holy Spirit in our private daily lives.

But to be useful for ministry with other members of Christ's Body in our local church, we need to seek the baptism in the Holy Spirit for blessing others, rather than seeking a blessing for ourselves.

We need supernatural AUTHORITY to proclaim the good news about God in a way that brings repentance and faith in others. For this, we need the Holy Spirit to come upon us, just as the Holy Spirit came upon Jesus when He was baptized in water. The authority of the Holy Spirit is not the same as being bold to preach stirring sermons. And neither is it becoming an extrovert or overcoming stage fright. Rather, the authority we need is to free those bound in sin, and this can only come from the Holy Spirit anointing us and giving us His supernatural gifts with which to minister to and serve others.

We also need supernatural power to be UNITED with other believers and minister as a united expression of the Body of Christ. Only the baptism of the Holy Spirit upon a group of Christians in the local church can enable them to be preserved in unity when the forces of hell seek to attack and divide them. No amount of human resolve or community time together or even listening to the most anointed preaching can do this. Remember what the disciples did when Jesus was arrested? They all deserted Him! And this was after spending 3+ years with the perfect Man Jesus and seeing His miracles and hearing His teaching. But things changed after Pentecost. They became a united group of witnesses for Jesus. "By one Spirit are we all baptized into one body" (1 Cor.12:13).

So it is for this supernatural authority and unity in the Body that we need to seek to be baptized in the Holy Spirit as believers in every local church.

Finally, let me say that the Person of the Holy Spirit and His ministry are mysteries. Even as we seek the Lord for wisdom and understanding, we must also embrace the mystery about Him.

But we can be sure of one thing: The Holy Spirit is THE ONLY PERSON who can produce the pure life of Jesus in us. And the Holy Spirit is THE ONLY PERSON who can give us the authority and unity to do His work alongside other Christians as fellow members of His Body. No amount of self-denial can produce that in us. And neither can any amount of righteous living or bright human ideas. So let us remain perpetually thirsty for constant immersions in the Holy Spirit so that Jesus Christ is increasingly reflected in our lives.

Amen!

from: http://www.cfcindia.com/web/mainpages/articles.php?display=article61

2015/3/28 12:36Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re: THE BAPTISM IN THE HOLY SPIRIT by Sandeep Poonen

This is a very good teaching on the Baptism. I would however
differ on a couple points.

Many well known teachers including Watchman Nee teach the laying of hands on believers for receiving the Baptism
of the Holy Spirit. I have witnessed hundreds of believers
receive the Baptism through the laying on of hands.

Many Pentecostals believe that tongues is the initial evidence of the Baptism of the Holy Spirit. I have witnessed this hundreds of times, but Just because someone that has asked and has believed to receive the Baptism hasn't spoken in tongues does not mean that he hasn't,genuinely experienced a true Baptism of the Holy Spirit. The main purpose of the Baptism of the Holy Spirit is to empower believers in whatever ministry and gifts that have been given to them.

2015/3/29 11:17Profile
dolfan

Alabama

Re:

Mike, I know that I, too, have had a change of mind and biblical understanding and heart on the initial evidence issue of tongues. I would respectfully defy anyone to say that men like Tozer, Moody and any number of others (Campbell, for example) who confessed the baptism of the Spirit as a second work or second blessing, etc., to say they were not baptized in the Spirit because they denied or did not experience tongues.

I speak in tongues from time to time. I have since 1988. I even formally, outwardly and explicitly rejected the biblical gift of tongues today for several years in the early 2000s, all the while speaking in tongues in prayer. I would just say, "Lord, you know what you are doing. I can only say what I understand of your Word. I am not going to run off the rail here because this keeps happening." Well, He did know. And, I am convinced that His Spirit was working in me to endure a flood of error in the seeker movement that we had embraced. We later came out of that, much wiser, much more aware of the spiritual forces at work and at war against the spiritual mind God gives to His people.

It was a time where God was instilling other things in us that only now are being more fully understood by my wife and me.

This teaching on the Spirit baptism was well said.

2015/3/29 16:19Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

" And, I am convinced that His Spirit was working in me to endure a flood of error in the seeker movement that we had embraced. We later came out of that, much wiser, much more aware of the spiritual forces at work and at war against the spiritual mind God gives to His people."

Amen Tim,

God has kept me and got me out of many ditches on the right and the left, and the key is to realize that we just don't have all of the truth and need the Body of Christ , especially those that are different from us.

While I was in the Word of faith movement, I also read David Wilkerson's materials, and had a love for the Christian classics.

I believe that if we really have a love of the truth, the Lord will deliver us from extremes and the counterfeit. The only extreme that we should have is to be extremely in love with Jesus and with one another.

2015/3/29 20:39Profile
Elibeth

Re: THE BAPTISM IN THE HOLY SPIRIT by Sandeep Poonen

Quote:
(Sandeep Poonenen)

"If Jesus was born by the power of the Holy Spirit,then why did the Holy Spirit have to come upon him when He was baptized?"

Was Jesus really " born" by the power of the Holy Spirit? He was conceived
by The Holy Spirit into His Mother,Mary' womb.His Father was Spirit / Word,...But His Mother,as we all know,was flesh.

Was it NEEDFUL for The Holy Spirit to come upon Him when He was baptized ? ( baptim of death to the flesh) Although He already lived a perfect life.
Did He need even more of The Spirit for His ministry,....for an example for us,...His flesh side,..for the things He would now be facing????

After baptism,and The Spirit came upon Him,...He went into the wilderness,fasting for 40 days.When He came out of the wilderness,..look at what happened to Him. Satan tempted Him,..on 4? counts.

I do not see where it is recorded,that Satan ever attacked Him before hand,like he did only after He was baptized ( a baptism of death to the flesh),...(an example to us) ,..And after The Spirit came upon Him.(Power)

Is He showing us,..among other things,..what the baptism and Holy Spirit,...what it means,...and what will happen to us,...after this Death unto Life? How Satan will also attact us?.....with the same things?

In the end,Jesus said unto Satan,'Man shall not live,...(or have Life) by bread alone,but by every Word that proceeds out of the mouth of God.
( Who is The Word),...( the led by The Spirit of God )...( Life)

Elizabeth

2015/3/29 23:20Profile
Sree

Re:

Quote:

Was Jesus really " born" by the power of the Holy Spirit? He was conceived
by The Holy Spirit into His Mother,Mary' womb.His Father was Spirit / Word,...But His Mother,as we all know,was flesh.

Jesus was born of the Power of the Holy Spirit. He was born of the Spirit the same way as we are when we claim to be born again in faith, when we accept Jesus as our Lord and saviour in our heart.

Quote:
I do not see where it is recorded,that Satan ever attacked Him before hand,like he did only after He was baptized ( a baptism of death to the flesh),...(an example to us) ,..And after The Spirit came upon Him.(Power)

Jesus lived for 30 years on earth before his Baptism. 1 John 3:5 says in Jesus no sin was found. Which means all 33.5 years of his life there was no sin in him at all. Do we really think Jesus was not tempted from the time he was born? He would have been tempted in day today life, he lived in the similar flesh as us, he would have faced all temptations that a common man faces.

If we believe that Satan tempted Jesus only after Baptism of Holy Spirit, then even to believers it should be same. Believers should also be exposed to Satan only after Baptism of Holy Spirit. But it is not true, from the time I was born again, I have been tempted by both my Flesh and Satan.

If God some how protected Jesus alone from such temptations in 30 years of his life, then how can Jesus be my example? How can I live like Jesus since I do not have such previlages.

This article clarified so many questions, we should not keep seeking the Baptism of Holy Spirit, thinking that after we receive it, we will miraculously live a Victorious life without any Sin. It is not true, even after Baptism of Holy Spirit, we can still fall if we are not obedient to the voice of the Spirit. Today we all born again believers have the Holy Spirit, are we walkin with him in obedience?

2015/4/2 6:22Profile
Sree

Re:

Quote:

Many well known teachers including Watchman Nee teach the laying of hands on believers for receiving the Baptism
of the Holy Spirit. I have witnessed hundreds of believers
receive the Baptism through the laying on of hands.

I have also witnessed few including I myself who received tongues after a brother prayed for me. But Sandeep Poonen is not saying it will not happen. He is saying he has not witnessed anyone who could confidently say that he can pass the baptism by praying for them and laying of hands. I believe this is true, no one can say that everytime they placed their hands, baptism of Holy Spirit took place. Have you met anyone like that?

Regarding Tongues, Sandeep is not ignoring this gift, he is only saying that it may not be applicable for all. I had to keep seeking this gift while I got the gift to share God's word immediately.

2015/4/2 6:28Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

I was raised in a group that believed in tongues as the initial evidence of the Baptism of the Holy Spirit, but have changed my perspective somewhat. I like to put it this way. A person who is baptized in the Holy Spirit does not have to speak in tongues, but they can speak in tongues. It is not a requirement, but a wonderful privilege.

I have also seen people receive the baptism of the Holy Spirit by the laying on of hands, and scripture does speak of this. Acts 8:18 and probably 1 Tim. 4:14. But it is definitely not a requirement.

I will say one thing about tongues as an initial evidence specifically. The baptism of the Holy Spirit is received much as salvation. It is received by faith in the grace of God to give such a gift. In that respect, speaking in tongues is a wonderful confirmation or evidence if you will to a person who has just received the baptism of the Holy Spirit. Tongues themselves are an act of faith.

I struggled with tongues when I was seeking God for the baptism of the Holy Spirit. I could not bring myself to ultimately accept that I would be speaking an actual language that I did not have any intellectual knowledge of. The night I received the baptism, another person also received. We both loved to sing, and as I worshipped God in tongues, I felt the strong urge to sing in worship. I did so in tongues. It was a song and a melody totally unfamiliar to me. Then I realized I was not singing alone. This other person was singing with me, in perfect time and melody. We sang this duet to the Lord for several minutes. It was totally supernatural as we could not have done this in the natural. It was such a strong boost to my faith and I knew that I knew that I was filled with the Holy Spirit.

2015/4/2 8:28Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

"A person who is baptized in the Holy Spirit does not have to speak in tongues, but they can speak in tongues. It is not a requirement, but a wonderful privilege."

Travis,

I agree with you brother and your testimony of being baptized in the Holy Spirit and speaking in tongues was similar to mine in that I was struggling with tongues, and it was several months after I was baptized in the Holy Spirit that I actually prayed in tongues for the first time while worshiping the Lord on my front porch. The praise and worship that I was offering up to the Lord in English broke out into tongues.

In the early 70's, the Holy Spirit was being poured out on believers in just about every denomination, and this was especially true among Catholics that had put saving faith in Jesus Christ and began to seek Him for the wonderful gift of the Baptism of the Holy Spirit.

There were many times that at various meetings that we would begin to worship the Lord, and spontaneously we would sing "Alleuia". There was no one out of tune, and it was as if the angels had joined us in our praises to the Lord. Then simultaneously with no human leader, the Holy Spirit would move upon the group to begin singing softly in other tongues. There was no confusion but there was a supernatural element behind this worship in that every person was singing in a different tongue with different melodies yet no one was out of tune, and it all flowed together in a perfect harmony to the Lord.

2015/4/2 13:39Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy