SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : How do you pray for the sick?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
TMK

NC, USA

How do you pray for the sick?

Or perhaps better, how SHOULD we pray for the sick?

Personally, I have been all over the place on this issue.

Anecdotally, I have had more success commanding sickness to leave (in Jesus name) than in praying something like "Lord please heal so and so if it be your will."

I think the latter type of prayer is mealy mouthed and ineffective, but I don't want to swing too far the other way either. I don't think we are guaranteed healing, but I still think we need to be very bold.

What do you all think?

2015/3/11 12:36Profile
dolfan

Alabama

Re: How do you pray for the sick?

My temperament is just to ask and believe but not command. As a doctrinal matter, I'm uncomfortable with commanding, so I do not. That is not to say others should not command, but personally I've never seen that 'work', as it were.

My close friend testifies that God has called him to the ministry of praying for the sick. He retired recently (chemical process engineer for 37 years) and specifically states that he will move forward in faith in praying for people. He's bold, too, boy. We were at a movie one night and he stopped a guy in the lobby and laid hands on him right there. I just smiled and joined in. :) I love that about him. He commands. Again, I've never seen it result in an immediate healing and I can't rightly testify that I've seen any healing 'result' from his prayers. But, I know his life and I know his devotion to the word and I'm 100% comfortable with him obeying the Lord, and for him that means he commands sicknesses to leave. If I need prayer or know someone who does, I call him, and he'll be on it like stink on a june-bug.

I am with you on boldness. But, I'm also careful, knowing to whom I pray, not to be presumptuous.

2015/3/11 13:55Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I find it interesting in the NT that often Jesus or the apostles simply ignored the "symptom" and told the person to DO something ("rise up and walk" or "stretch forth your hand" or "little girl rise".

I am not sure how significant this is.

2015/3/11 14:18Profile
savedtoserve

Re:

**QUOTE TMK: I find it interesting in the NT that often Jesus or the apostles simply ignored the "symptom" and told the person to DO something ("rise up and walk" or "stretch forth your hand" or "little girl rise".**

Wow! This is a great observation. I have found this so true in my life, not so much in radical healing, but just in doing something, DOING THE NEXT THING, and it brings grace to deal with the issue, strength to go on. Love it...never saw this in scripture!

I like the boldness and child-like faith in Eric Ludy's message, Does God Still Heal Today? http://ellerslie.com/sermons/eric-ludy/12-12-10/does-god-still-heal His mssg contains much more than just an answer to the title and also deals with how to pray for the sick. It would resound with most of us with that sometimes trembling but trusting cry, Lord, I believe, help thou my unbelief! I love that he's willing to stand for what God says no matter how much "sense" it seems to make presently.

2015/3/11 15:26Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Quote: "But I'm also careful, knowing to whom I pray, not to be presumptuous."

I appreciate this sentiment; the only problem is whether "praying" for the sick is what we are supposed to be doing.

I wish the verse in James that talks about praying for the sick was more specific. We don't have examples of this "praying" in scripture. We only have examples of them commanding or doing some action.

I think if we only had an example in scripture of one of the apostles praying for a sick person, much of the controversy in this area would disappear. But we don't, at least as far as I know.

2015/3/11 15:30Profile

Re:

So, I have conflict with this topic. Since Scripture is open to interpretation, I've found myself stuck.

I've read John G. Lake and Smith Wigglesworth, heard numerous radical stories of dramatic healings but...I remain skeptical.

I've been trained in deliverance and healing, both fairly reputable names/organizations.

Recently, Wigglesworth teachings have shown me that we 'walk by faith, not by sight'. Providing an example of a woman with a terminal illness who showed visible signs of the illness but she 'believed', eventually, after months, the congregation collectively 'rebuked' her then she prayed and miraculously and instantaneously she tangibly showed signed of a legit, verifiable healing.

John G. Lake and Wigglesworth have radical faith, imo. Their teachings speak to 'why aren't we doing what Jesus commanded us to do?'

Keeping this in mind, they both focused numerous hours, days, weeks, and even months in prayer and fasting. Their lifestyle was to pound on heaven's door for manifested healings.

My conflict is there were many times I'd be filled with the Spirit and nothing would happen.

The Holy Spirit is teaching me, what Jesus knew, "I only do what I see the Father doing."

When it comes to healings, let's be honest. Too many people claim 'healings' when...they aren't verified. God isn't scared of the light or truth. Let's be honest if a healing hasn't occurred. Wigglesworth was known to STAY at a home for numerous days to pray the family or person through their healing. He was honest that it wasn't a simple 'one prayer' and a manifested healing would happen.

John G. Lake taught to persist too.

I know your question is to the 'method' of praying for healing. Commanding, praying, etc. Heck there are handkerchiefs and shadows that healed people in Scripture.

As to the method, I'd strongly say, "What is God saying to you that your method should be for the specific event before you?"

I'm concerned when people seek the gift of healing. Because there is a lot of hype and expectation, I think the current charismatic culture is dishonest. When two or three days later, I see a person who said, "I'm healed." Still using crutches or a wheelchair. They then blindly, my opinion, say, "I still believe I'm healed."

Wigglesworth talks about this a little in his book titled, "Faith" but...knowing all that I wrote here, I find myself conflicted and a little frustrated.

God speed to your endeavors but I pray that you are at least honest and receptive to people when they say, "Nothing. No change".

2015/3/11 16:15
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I really am not "endeavorong" toward anything, just inviting a discussion.

It is just that today we hear a lot about praying for the sick but there is no example of same in scripture.

2015/3/11 17:12Profile

Re:

God's not legalistic. If you are looking for a formula, you are asking the wrong people. Even if you were able to ask Lake and Wigglesworth, they'd say the same.

There is no formula to 'how to pray'.

Also, I'm not sure what you are referring to 'there are no examples in scripture' to what we see today.

Name it and claim it does come from scripture but it's slightly perverted perspective on scripture.

Praying, commanding, handkerchiefs, shadows, there are a lot of examples. But there are no iron clad, rigid 'rules' to 'how to' pray.

I think the biggest principle to answer your question is what I said earlier. "What is God saying to you that your method should be for the specific event before you?"

2015/3/11 17:17
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

LMH- if you can point to an example in scripture of someone praying for the sick, please point it out for me. I am not aware of one so if there is I would like to know.

2015/3/11 17:24Profile
dolfan

Alabama

Re:

2 Kings 4, Elisha and the Shunammite's son.

2015/3/11 17:43Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy