SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : Does the Truth Really Matter Anymore? ...

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Rahman

Does the Truth Really Matter Anymore? ...

Greetings in Christ,

For the past four nights on Family Net TV Pastor John MacArthur of ...

Grace Community Church
http://www.gracechurch.org/home/

... has hosted his 5 part hard hitting video series intitled "Does the Truth Really Matter Anymore"? ... i mean this series gets right down to the nitty-gritty of when and how 20th century modernism crept into Christ Church, who back then were the prophetic warning voices, and what the consequences have been in England and especially now in the US ... This program goes blow by blow of where and just how far we've gotten off the straight and narrow ...

It was so interesting to hear men of God from yester century in England such as C H Spurgeon sounding the mainly unheeded alarm and then having Pastor MacArthur point out the subsequent demise of Christianity in modern day Britain, and also heralding that Christianity is headed down the same slippery slope here in the US unless we encounter a brand new movement of Holy Ghost Revival! ... But there are two snares the modern Church has gotten itself into ...

#1 - Lack of prayer ...

#2 - Opting "perspiration" (man's power) over "inspiration" (God's Power) ...

The latter meaning that we're now more prone to relying on the people drawing "perspirational" skills of man made "psychology and marketing" instead of the Holy Spirit's tried and true inspirational skills of "conviction - repentance and salvation" ... UGgghhhh ...

Even now at this late hour God still has His voices crying out to His Bride, "Recognize your folly ... Please stop your error ... Repent from your man made programs and self reliance and get on your faces before Me ... Turn back to Me" ...

You know i often catch such programming because i believe it's Holy Spirit's will for me to, for me to know the extreme grace of our long suffering God that He has His alarmist not only locally, but nationally and internationally as well, that He's proclaiming His wish for our return to pure worship and holiness and telegraphing before it falls that our continued sin has it's dire Refiner's fire type consequences ... But you know what's becoming ever so clear to me saints, such messages are mainly being heard by folk whose attention Holy Ghost has already grabbed ...The "repentance" message is in effect being preached to us ALL but it is only a "remnant" that's hearing and heeding ... This oft time gives me such a great feeling of sadness for when satan is able to work his puppetry in the pulpits he creates so many spiritual paupers in the pews ...

[b]Lord Jesus You said the gates of hell shall not prevail against your Church ... Wake us ALL up Jesus to our vile condition ... Lift us ALL up ... Turn us ALL around ... And re-place ALL our feet on Your solid ground ... ALL who are capable yet of buying from You gold tried in the fire and eyesalve that we may yet see again clearly ... And Lord if it means a door shaking pounding toward our opening up and answering, then may it be so for there are far to many lives hanging in the balance of eternal hellfire and damnation for your Church to continue in our selfish stupor ... The harvest is truly great and the workers few ... Please Lord God repair your Church toward sending US into Your harvest ... REVIVE US OH GOD! ... REVIVE US! ... Amen[/b]

2005/4/28 14:39Profile
Rahman

Re: Does the Truth Really Matter Anymore? ...

i meant to ask:

HAS ANYONE ELSE SEEN THIS SERIES? ...

IF SO WHAT DID YOU THINK? ...

Or as usual am i the only one? ...

i also meant to point out that i searched Family Net TV's web-site and googled to find this "Video Series" but could not ...

Funny how all other kinds of worthless fluff is readily available, but not this ...

:-?

2005/4/28 15:38Profile

Re: Does the Truth Really Matter Anymore? ...

Rahman....my man. Thank you sir. I doubt revival/repentence on a large scale will come from tv. Thank God for tv technology, but for the most part, what is broadcast on the air, cable, or satelite dish is not revival making stuff. The voices of true freedom and devotion are not popular, and therefore will find no outlet on tv. Tv is for the flesh. It wastes time and dulls the spirit, even quenching it's discernment within us. It's a long slippery slide.
But God's message and call is being heard. Thank God for the internet. He is using it mightily to whosoeverwill listen.
Thank you again for your love for your fellowman in sharing this. God bless you real good.

2005/5/2 9:33
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

I enjoy the internet more because I have more of a choice to what I want to read or watch. Even if there is something benificial on TV the commericals make you want to turn it off.

2005/5/2 11:04Profile
Compton

Re: bullseye

Quote:
two snares the modern Church has gotten itself into ...

#1 - Lack of prayer ...

#2 - Opting "perspiration" (man's power) over "inspiration" (God's Power) ...

Thanks for bringing this up Rhaman.

I confess this is a tough issue for me. It is a fowlers snare indeed. I was recently asked to take a lead role in a prominent outreach ministry here at church. Although it's mission is in my own heart, I feel the pressure from everyone to "get busy". As a leader, I need to "show my stuff." I've heard gossip about other ineffective leaders before. It hurts.

Yet I feel the constant need to meet together and wait on the Lord. Of course, many people became anxious and critical of this direction, or lack of direction as they percieved it. Good people taking time out of their hectic schedules need to feel productive. They want immediate traction or they lose confidence. I was explained that they are "doers" and need to "do". I was reminded that there are unsaved people who will never hear the gospel if I hesitate. (Powerful stuff...)Yet I sense that we stallions need tamed and bridaled before we can hitch up the wagon. It's hard to put into words...

We must first touch the Spirit of God before we try and touch the spirit of man. Does that make sense to anyone here?

Am I wrong? Am I being too cautious? Am I really a coward in hiding? Perhaps I am the wrong guy for the job? Everyone else is excited and passionate...I remain unconvinced of our readiness. Should I just unleash the energy and exuberance that seems plentiful and trust almighty God?

I am reminded of a quote by Abraham Lincoln. "I may walk slow but I never walk backwards." Today, we don't just walk backwards...we do sommersaults and cartwheels. And what's worse, we celebrate those who can run faster and jump higher. (Maybe football coaches should pastor our churches...)We are dualistic. When it comes to "leaning on God" we talk a good game, but in reality our playbook is to assign (and limit) people according to their natural talents and strengths. Our HR departments are more concerned with Human Resources than Heaven Resources!

So here I am, looking more like a little boy than a man. I'm asked to lead the charge and my first instinct is to order the soldiers to kneel and wait with our eyes heavenward. Yet, what am I waiting for? Am I the wrong guy to lead an assault team?

Please be honest...I think I might be glad to know that someone else should be in my place. I would be relieved to be relieved.

Distressed,

MC

2005/5/2 14:02Profile

Re: MC

Please read my comments in "No Point". Thanks and God bless you real good.

2005/5/2 15:26

Re: Does the Truth Really Matter Anymore? ... / Bullseye

MC - Hi! Suspect there are others more fit to answer your questions than I.

Quote:
I feel the pressure from everyone to "get busy".

..So here I am, looking more like a little boy than a man. I'm asked to lead the charge and my first instinct is to order the soldiers to kneel and wait with our eyes heavenward. Yet, what am I waiting for? Am I the wrong guy to lead an assault team?

..Please be honest...I think I might be glad to know that someone else should be in my place. I would be relieved to be relieved.

Distressed

You sound about right - like the Lord has put this in your heart... Martha, Mary's sister, comes to mind.
Quote:
[b]I Chronicles 14:8[/b]
And when the Philistines heard that David was anointed king over all Israel, all the Philistines went up to seek David. And David heard, and went out against them. 9 And the Philistines came and spread themselves in the valley of Rephaim. 10 And David enquired of God, saying, Shall I go up against the Philistines? and wilt thou deliver them into mine hand? And the LORD said unto him, Go up; for I will deliver them into thine hand. 11 So they came up to Baalperazim; and David smote them there. Then [b]David said, God hath broken in upon mine enemies by mine hand like the breaking forth of waters[/b]: therefore they called the name of that place Baalperazim. {Baalperazim: that is, A place of breaches} 12 And when they had left their gods there, David gave a commandment, and they were burned with fire. 13 And the Philistines yet again spread themselves abroad in the valley. 14 Therefore David enquired again of God; and God said unto him, Go not up after them; turn away from them, and come upon them over against the mulberry trees. 15 And it shall be, when thou shalt hear a sound of going in the tops of the mulberry trees, then thou shalt go out to battle: for God is gone forth before thee to smite the host of the Philistines. 16 [b]David therefore did as God commanded him[/b]: and they smote the host of the Philistines from Gibeon even to Gazer. 17 And the fame of David went out into all lands; and the LORD brought the fear of him upon all nations.

[b]Joshua 2:9[/b]
And she [Rahab] said unto the men, I know that the LORD hath given you the land, and that your terror is fallen upon us, and that all the inhabitants of the land faint [melt] because of you. 10 For we have heard how the LORD dried up the water of the Red sea for you, when ye came out of Egypt; and what ye did unto the two kings of the Amorites, on the other side Jordan, Sihon and Og, whom ye utterly destroyed. 11 [b]And as soon as we had heard, our hearts did melt, neither did there remain any more courage in any man, because of you: for the LORD your God, he [is] God in heaven above, and in earth beneath[/b].

'We must first touch the Spirit of God before we try and touch the spirit of man. Does that make sense to anyone here?' [b]YES![/b] 'Am I wrong? [b]Um[/b].. Am I being too cautious? [b]Not yet. [/b] Am I really a coward in hiding? [b]Could you answer this one, please? [/b]. Perhaps I am the wrong guy for the job? [b]Unlikely.[/b] Everyone else is excited and passionate...I remain unconvinced of our readiness. [b]Words of wisdom, here[/b]. Should I just unleash the energy and exuberance that seems plentiful and trust almighty God?' [b]Only when He says so[/b], I believe.

The time for 'energy and exuberance' will come; your soldiers need experience of both the waiting and the assault, before they will realise how tired it is possible to be [i]after[/i] receiving from the Lord; it makes no sense to go [i]without[/i] waiting on the Lord!

Are there other people who could help with the visible side of preparation, maybe? Otherwise, it can be good team-building to do this together, too. There can be frustrations among the artistic ones who need to express what God has given them in a 3D way, but as long as they are not exploding with the restraints you are putting and do have other times when their gifts can be expressed, it's all good discipline to listen first, preparing to [i][b]do[/b][/i] the obeying, later. It [i]is[/i] a busy time, just not in a [i]worldly[/i] way!
Quote:
[b]Judges 7:5[/b]
So he brought down the people unto the water: and the LORD said unto Gideon, Every one that lappeth of the water with his tongue, as a dog lappeth, him shalt thou set by himself; likewise every one that boweth down upon his knees to drink. 6 And the number of them that lapped, [putting] their hand to their mouth, were three hundred men: but all the rest of the people bowed down upon their knees to drink water. 7 [b]And the LORD said unto Gideon, By the three hundred men that lapped will I save you, and deliver the Midianites into thine hand: and let all the [other] people go every man unto his place. 8 So the people took victuals in their hand, and their trumpets[/b]: and he sent all [the rest of] Israel every man unto his tent, and retained those three hundred men:

[b]John 5:19[/b]
The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise. 20 For [b]the Father loveth the Son, and sheweth him all things that himself doeth: and he will shew him greater works than these, that ye may marvel. 21 For as the Father raiseth up the dead, and quickeneth; even so the Son quickeneth whom he will[/b].

May the Lord give you [i]all[/i] all strength to do His will as He shows you to do it. Might this be the greater challenge ... to come out into the open and face the battle?

2005/5/5 14:22
Compton

Re: Thank you

Quote:
The time for 'energy and exuberance' will come;...it makes no sense to go without waiting on the Lord!...it's all good discipline to listen first, preparing to do the obeying, later. It is a busy time, just not in a worldly way!

Well said Dorcas. In fact I was edified by your entire post. You put the courage in encouragement! Your perspective reminded me of the kind of exhortation that another sister gave so generously.

Here is Amy Carmichael from her book "His Thoughts Said...His Father Said"

" How can I offer my poor work to my holy Lord? 'Holy, holy, holy is the Lord of hosts.'I see His holiness as fire, as white as purity.

I see my work as dust.

...Cleanse me from secret faults. Keep back thy servant also from presumptous sins. Let them not have dominion over me. Is not even the thought of offering dust of earth to the Lord of Heaven a presumptious sin?

And the son was about to withdraw the work which he had brought.

But he saw the cross and a Voice spoke:"Lay thy dust in the dust at the foot of the cross."

And he did so.
Then he saw the likeness of an angel who stood by a golden altar having a golden censer, and there was given to him much incense that he should offer it with all the prayers of the saints.

And the son was caused to understand that the Much Incense of the merits of his Saviour sufficed for work as well as prayer.

And he offered his handful of dust."

2005/5/13 3:15Profile

Re: Does the Truth Really Matter Anymore? ... re MC thank you

MC,

Now [i][b]I[/b][/i] am encouraged. Thank you so much for sharing from Amy Carmichael. It is timely for me, too. God moves in mysterious ways!

A few more words of encouragement for you, which increased my faith for the general fray of life and are as relevant for your forthcoming mission.

[b]Philippians 1:19, 20[/b]
For I know that this will turn out for my deliverance through your prayer and [b]the supply of the Spirit of Jesus Christ according to my earnest expectation and hope[/b], that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ will be magnified in my body, whether by life or by death.

It may seem extreme to think we may die for proclaiming the gospel but I believe it is a common experience for evangelists who are bearing fruit, to face physical oppositon, at times. Fear no evil. It cannot separate you or those who are [i]hearing[/i] and responding to God's word, from His love. And we know it brings us a joy of special quality, which the Lord wished us to share with Him.

2005/5/13 7:11
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: No wonder...

MC

Quote:
Yet I feel the constant need to meet together and wait on the Lord. Of course, many people became anxious and critical of this direction, or lack of direction as they percieved it. Good people taking time out of their hectic schedules need to feel productive. They want immediate traction or they lose confidence. I was explained that they are "doers" and need to "do". I was reminded that there are unsaved people who will never hear the gospel if I hesitate. (Powerful stuff...)Yet I sense that we stallions need tamed and bridaled before we can hitch up the wagon. It's hard to put into words...

Quote:
We must first touch the Spirit of God before we try and touch the spirit of man. Does that make sense to anyone here?

Quote:
Am I wrong? Am I being too cautious? Am I really a coward in hiding? Perhaps I am the wrong guy for the job? Everyone else is excited and passionate...I remain unconvinced of our readiness. Should I just unleash the energy and exuberance that seems plentiful and trust almighty God?

How did you climb inside my head? So many things that stand out here brother and maybe one of those is a powerful word; 'readiness'. I struggle mightily with so much of this, your words just an echo within. Oswald Chambers touched on this often and in our day with everything having to be 'instant' that pressure to always have to be 'doing' something, constantly...even if it's [i]for the Lord[/i]. What are [i]'my'[/i] gifts? What the world [i]needs is...[/i] [b]I[/b] [i]should[/i] be doing...[i]I[/i] should be out preaching the Gospel...[i]I[/i] should...

And yet for all of that, and for all the good intentions of even our own brethren...What sayeth the Lord to your soul? Is it enough to do seemingly 'nothing' in the eyes of all around? these are in part still questions...What I mean is...

Awhile back there was a few here expressing the need to withdraw from it all (mainly the church system is it where) and do that one thing that is so contrary to everything our modern day represents, at least out here in the west. Wait. Wait on the Lord. And your words here have a special sting personally as I must also deal with these questions... How long? Am I also a coward? Or is it [i]enough[/i] to be no one at all... Very difficult to express. Life here at home and at work with all the changes, the financial mess, problems and addictions... the family has become it's own ministry of sorts... the saints here... the amazing fellowship and all the failed efforts to express the love and concern and... I have noticed a drift within myself from what at best is what I think is where the Lord would have me to be and do and that is to just "simply" pray.
And if I wasn't so stubborn and ignorant, I would quit trying to 'do' everything else that I '[i]think[/i] I ought to be doing. It's really bearing down right now because I can see it even in my replies, resting on my 'laurels' for a true lack of a better word. It's almost uncanny in a way, I can feel the opposition to doing just that, 'just pray' as if there was no power in that whatsoever. It's a hidden 'non-productive' type thing or it's construed as "Well yes, of course, we all should pray but...." and of late it's as if the devil himself is whispering it in my ear, 'you are doing nothing',
'worthless', 'nothing changes'... A liar still...

Sigh, dear brother it seems that in a way you may have the answer right there;

[i]"We must first touch the Spirit of God before we try and touch the spirit of man. Does that make sense to anyone here?[/i]"

Well it makes perfect sense to me. How many have gone without being sent? Seriously. Before they are even 'ready'? I can hear the opposition already, but what is meant is this verse so deeply inbeded...

"What is that to you? You follow [b][i]Me[/i][/b]"

Another

Mat 9:37 Then saith he unto his disciples, The harvest truly is plenteous, but the labourers are few;
Mat 9:38 [b]Pray ye therefore[/b] the Lord of the harvest, [b]that he will send forth labourers into his harvest[/b].

Joh 4:35 Say not ye, There are yet four months, and then cometh harvest? behold, I say unto you, Lift up your eyes, and look on the fields; for they are white already to harvest.
Joh 4:36 And he that reapeth receiveth wages, and gathereth fruit unto life eternal: that both he that soweth and he that reapeth may rejoice together.
Joh 4:37 And herein is that saying true, One soweth, and another reapeth.
Joh 4:38 I sent you to reap that whereon ye bestowed no labour: other men laboured, and ye are entered into their labours.

Joh 4:34 Jesus saith unto them, My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work.

Sorry I am digressing here a bit towards my own particular thoughts...

The link I think is in these two:

"[i]I'm asked to lead the charge and my first instinct is to order the soldiers to kneel and wait with our eyes heavenward. Yet, what am I waiting for?[/i]"

"[i]Should I just unleash the energy and exuberance that seems plentiful and [b]trust[/b] almighty God?[/i]"

Yes? Both? I know it's paradoxical..."wait [i]and[/i] trust"...I think so, surely in that trust the Lord will show your hearts the 'when's' and means and times...

Luk 21:19 In your patience possess ye your souls.

2005/5/13 8:02Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy