SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : America's Largest Christian Bookstore Chain Files for Bankruptcy

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 America's Largest Christian Bookstore Chain Files for Bankruptcy

Family Christian Stores (FCS) has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. Yet the ministry assured customers yesterday that it "does not expect" to close any of its more than 250 stores or lay off any of its approximately 4,000 employees.

“We strive to serve God in all that we do and trust His guidance in all our decisions, especially this very important one,” stated FCS president and CEO Chuck Bengochea. “We have carefully and prayerfully considered every option. This action allows us to stay in business and continue to serve our customers, our associates, our vendors and charities around the world.” ...

read more: http://www.christianitytoday.com/gleanings/2015/february/family-christian-stores-files-bankruptcy-chapter-11-fcs.html

2015/2/13 10:48Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re: America's Largest Christian Bookstore Chain Files for Bankruptcy

This is rather unsettling.

2015/2/13 11:09Profile
dfella

Canton, Michigan

This is unfortunate news. We need to pray for FCS, I would hate to see the stores close. I know that the store in my area which I frequent a lot was never open on Sunday and I noticed that they are now.

I know Hobby Lobby is not open on Sunday's, how about other Christian business' like Chic-Fil-A?

It seemed when I was younger that most business' were closed on Sunday especially restaurants. This is not the case any longer though.

2015/2/13 11:19Profile
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Lifeway has taken up all the oxygen in the room. I don't blame Lifeway, but there is only so much market. I know FCS is bigger by 70 stores or so but Lifeway is more prominent in the SE. And, that is the bulk of the market in terms of sales.

There is a local Lifeway store in my town but the nearest FCS is 40 miles away. I like their store better, though, and they are -- in my opinion and in the particular store in Huntsville, AL -- friendlier and more helpful to customers.

I hope FCS can pull through. Lifeway is SBC, and it is so obviously so that sometimes I go to a locally owned mom and pop Christian bookstore and pay more for what I want just to avoid it.

2015/2/13 14:42Profile
JB1968

Ohio USA

Re:

I too was saddened when they made the choice to be open on Sunday. Now their employees have had a harder time remembering the Lord's day. Could that be part of the reason?

2015/2/13 22:32Profile
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Re:

I have often wanted to buy a book on Sunday after hearing a particular message or thinking on specific things at, during, after a church service. I hope I am not the only one who does that. Of course, closed Christian book stores on Sunday prevent that. From a business standpoint, the decision to open on Sunday makes really good sense. It would be a tough call, though.

2015/2/14 9:47Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy