This prayer closet journey has been a difficult one for me... mainly just going in there and shuting the door. Once in there... it is much easier... and I am finding myself not wanting to leave. It's just getting myself in there... which is the main obstacle. I believe it is the flesh that fights with us... the urgency of time... the pressures of responsiblities. But these earthly pressures can steal the best part of our life... which is drawing near to our Heavenly Father who loves us so!
The main thing that gets me 'in there'... is Jesus Christ's own words... "But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly. But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking. Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him...." Matthew 6:6-8.
Things that are important about the prayer closet... over outside the prayer closet:
1) Jesus commanded us to "enter into thy prayer closet... shut thy door." (He himself had to spend time with the Father alone... how much more should we!)
2) Absolutely no distractions, other people, pets, cell phones, tv, windows, sounds outside... even neighbors mowing grass, doorbells, pictures on wall, comfy couches to fall asleep on, beds to fall asleep on, laundry "oh just one more load", dishes "oh just one more dish", chore after chore after chore... the list goes on and on and on. BUT... in the prayer closet you totally enter into a 'no disturb' zone... like no other place... and it is just you and your Heavenly Father... communicating clearly via the Holy Spirit... the Word... in the name or authority of Yeshua HaMessiah / Jesus Christ.
3) Even Jesus had to be alone with the Father... how much more should we being prone to sin and frail as glass. This cozy precious hidden place is like a strong tower we run into for safety to be in the sweet presence of our Heavenly Father... to speak to Him... and listen to Him (via His Holy Spirit).
4) Keep the light on... because the darkness can be a distraction. Also be in the Light of God's Word when you are in there... as you feel lead by the Holy Spirit (not only prayer)... for "Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path." God speaks to us through His Word also... not only the Holy Spirit. They will agree.
5) God will do a deep cleansing in your heart... as you He counsels you (He is our Counselor)... and helps you forgive others. Ask Him to search your heart... and to help you get out all the gunk and junk that may by unknowingly in there. "Cleanse my heart Oh God and create a right spirit within me." Also pray for others, communities or nations... whatever the Holy Spirit puts on your heart. Be quiet and still and He will show you... by thoughts of those people... then He will fill you with compassion for that person or persons to inable you to pray for them in love empowered beautifully by the Holy Spirit to do so. "Pray with the Holy Spirit"
6) This set apart time... hidden away in the prayer closet... that Christ Himself ask us to do... says a most important thing to the Father... it says... You Oh God are important! You are the most important thing in my life. No distractions can keep me away from being with you. I love you with ALL my heart, all my soul, all my mind and all my strength.
7) The Lord is showing me that the prayer closet time (of which Christ told us to do) is not some unimportant... do it or not do it... maybe... well... I don't know... don't have time... Time! This is the first stop of the day where the Bride is making herself ready... and once spending at least and hour with the Father and with the Son... you will be energized, directed, focused, refueled and refilled with a greater filling of the Holy Spirit... to then go out your front door... with the ability to truly WALK BY FAITH and not by sight! For you just spent precious precious precious time with our Heavenly Father... who loves you with such a passion... for as the Word tells us... He is a jeolous God! That is how much He loves us!
Now... before I go into my prayer closet... instead of thinking it drudgery... I am more excited to meet with God our Father who loves us. Oh dear brothers and sisters in Christ... Jesus is calling you in the prayer closet. Don't settle for a comfy couch, a prayer time in your car as you drive to work... or a spiritual chat with a neighbor... but first Love and Seek God with ALL your HEART, SOUL, MIND and STRENGTH! Then we will be able to love our neighbor as ourself.
If the 24 Elders fall down to worship God around His throne... and the angels prostrate themselves before the Almighty God, Creator of Heaven and Earth... if thousands upon thousands of souls and angels bow down before His throne and worship, praise, sing and rejoice in Him... THEN... what are we waiting for? Let us... go before our Heavenly Father into our prayer closet and spend time with God there. Let us practice on earth... what they are doing in Heaven. Oh they are enjoying the presence of God... for in the presence of God is the fullness of joy! Pray, read the Word, Listen with your heart, sing praises to Him. We don't need a script to enter into His presence. Simply you are His child... and He loves you... and know that He loves spending time with you there. If Jesus had to spend time with the Father alone.... oh how much more should we being so frail and prone to fall.
In the end Christ will either say... "Enter into your rest... my good and faithful servant" ... or sadly ... "I never knew you. Depart from me you workers of iniquity." Let us KNOW God... and actually spend with our Wonderful Heavenly Father in our prayer closets dear brothers and sisters in Christ! Oh let us know Him! Let us love Him! Let us rest in His presence! Let us LOVE Him!
"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things will be added unto you."... Matthew 6:33 And also... "For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost." Romans 14:17 And also... "And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with ALL YOUR HEART." Jeremiah 29:13
SI Moderator - Greg Gordon