SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : want to meet someone who can speak in tongue

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

todd writes

Quote:
I think it's because they see tongues as the initial evidence of the baptism. It's just the beginning. But it's a minimum requirement.

Not everyone who has received the baptism in the Spirit and not everyone who speaks with tongues would agree with this statement. You have just excluded some of the greatest saints in history from the experience of being 'baptised in the Spirit'.

2005/7/9 18:22Profile
todd

California

Re:

philo,
Did you notice I said "they"? I was attempting to speak about what a traditional Pentacostal believes, which I'm not. I thought I made that clear in my post but perhaps not. I certainly don't believe that speaking in tongues is [i]the[/i] (exclusive) initial evidence of the baptism in the Holy Spirit. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

2005/7/9 21:18Profile

Re:

Quote:

Stever wrote:

Did the person that you mention above, Yeshua, receive the gift of witnessing to the lost.

There is no 'gift of witnessing' but instead, receving the POWER from Above, in words and action. (Do your part of being a Evanglist *Paraphrased*)

Quote:
Does he have any other spiritual gifts?

I don't know if I stated but he had received the gift of knowledge and prophesy.

Quote:
it is just that the Baptism empowers the believer to be about Christ's command of witnessing to the lost.

AND to edify the BODY OF CHRIST. Dont forget that part. Conterfit revivals had happened due to the lack of certain gifts EDIFYING the Body of Christ.

Is he witnessing?? Probly, i really can't say. Only God knows. I met the man once, he was hungering after God and God answered with us praying.

Many people with the Holy Spirit, do nothing with it. This world should've been WON by now, if all the people who 'say' they have received the Spirit, actually did. Too much lack of discipleship in the knowledge of God. To many people are just lackadazical.

Are you witnessing? And anyone else on this forum, that has been filled with the Spirit? Or are you still 'waiting' on God?? There is NOTHING to wait for after you have been filled with all of GOD.

2005/7/10 0:09
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

Re:

Phil is correct. There is a tendency to believe that baptism of the Holy Ghost will always accompany tongues. Here are some Leonard Ravenhill (famed Pentecostal revivalist) quotes on the subject:

"(Paul) has been arguing in this 12th chapter about the gifts of the Spirit. Oh, what controversy they cause. The least gift causes the most trouble. The least gift is tongues, it causes more heartache and havoc than any other gift in all the whole list. Now people say you must speak in tongues to have the baptism of the Spirit. You can't prove that Scripturally, I don't care who you are."

"If everybody had to have the gift of tongues the Holy Spirit would certainly say that He gave to everybody the gift of tongues. He does not say that, He says He gave to another."

"If gifts and tongues are the answer to revival, how is it (and I'm quite kind here, I preach in Pentecostal churches often, and I say it when I'm there) how is it they haven't set America on fire. How is it they've as much carnality as anybody. The strength is not in tongues, the strength is not in miracles, the strength is not even in faith, the strength is in love. And when the love of God is shed abroad you can lay down your life for a person that you love."

-from sermon: 1 Corinthians 13

2005/7/10 2:01Profile
yblek

Re: want to meet someone who can speak in tongue

This topic is often confusing to many to focus their attention on tongues or the "gift of tongues." The Baptism in the Holy Spirit is the promise of the Father which only could come after Jesus purchased this at the cross. Once Jesus physically left the earth, He established the Holy Spirit as the Comforter and Guide into the deep things of God. Read John 14-16 to see what Jesus says about the Holy Spirit before He leaves.

The confusion I am reading in this discussion is the "gift of tongues" and the "sign of tongues." These are two different things entirely. First let me explain the "sign of tongues as stated in

Mark 16:17
"And these SIGNS will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues;"

The person seeking to be Baptized in the Holy Spirit will have the initial evidence of speaking in other tongues as the Spirit gives the utterance. This is to show that the believer has received and been filled with the Holy Spirit. James said that the tongue is desperately evil, no man can control it. The way a believer knows this Baptism has started is this initial sign of tongues. Once Jesus has the tongue under His control, He has the whole vessel.

The steps in seeking the Baptism in the Holy Spirit are as follows:

1. You seek Jesus to fill you with the Holy Spirit. This is a fulfillment of Jesus to show He truly is the Christ. John the Baptist said just before Jesus appeared to John to be water baptized-"I baptize with water (John's baptism of repentance), but One will come after me whose sandels I can not even tie. John said I baptize with water, but He will baptize with the Holy Spirit and fire. Jesus is the baptizer, the element is the Holy Spirit.

2. You seek Jesus to fill you with the Holy Spirit until He (the Holy Spirit) begins to direct the person to speak a language they have never learned. Too many times people seek "tongues" instead of the Baptism. Too many times people seek the Holy Spirit instead of Jesus to baptize them. Without the correct focus, the baptism can not take place.

3. The sign of tongues is necessary so the person will know they have been filled with Holy Spirit.

The "gift of tongues" as recorded in 1 Corinthians 12-14 speaks of the gifts that are available once a believer has been filled with the Holy Spirit. These gifts are not to be sought after, but the Holy Spirit gives these as we have need of them to edify the church. Tongues is used, along with interpretation, to edify the church and up lift the congregation. Without interpretation, the tongues only edifies the believer and not the whole body. Not everyone is meant to have the "gift of tongues", otherwise everyone would be functioning in that gift and no one would be moving in the other gifts of the Spirit. Tongues will be given as we have need of them according to the Holy Spirit.

The sign of tongues is to allow the believer to know they have been filled with the Holy Spirit. This is just the initial sign, however, as the reason for the Baptism in the Holy Spirit according to Acts 1:8, is to be a powerful witness for Jesus.

The motive behind speaking in other tongues is vital in receiving the Baptism in the Holy Spirit. If you are only seeking to speak in tongues and not to be filled with the Holy Spirit, you may never be filled. The Baptism in the Holy Spirit is to empower the believer to be a powerful witness for Him. Look at the direct results of the disciples once they were filled with the Holy Spirit. They turned their world upside down for the glory of God through the power of the Holy Spirit.

If you have any questions about this, please email me at [email protected]. I would be glad to direct you further on this and I pray anyone who reads this would be filled with the Holy Spirit for the service of Christ.

God Bless You

Kelby

2005/7/25 20:15Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy