SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : 4 Things Jesus did not do when evangelizing

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

Quote:
1. When He (Jesus) went into Galilee, He was openly proclaiming to the people weather they were interested or not “The time has come,” he said. “The kingdom of God has come near. Repent and believe the good news!”Mark 1:15

2. I'll just give a few off the top of my head - Mark 9:43-48 says, If your hand causes you to stumble, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life maimed than with two hands to go into hell, where the fire never goes out. And if your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life crippled than to have two feet and be thrown into hell. And if your eye causes you to stumble, pluck it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into hell, where

“‘the worms that eat them do not die,
and the fire is not quenched.’

Matthew 5:22, But I tell you that anyone who is angry with a brother or sister will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to a brother or sister, 'Raca,' is answerable to the court. And anyone who says, 'You fool!' will be in danger of the fire of hell.

Matthew 8:12, But the subjects of the kingdom will be thrown outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Matthew 10:28, Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

3. Mark 10:18-19, Why do you call me good?” Jesus answered. “No one is good—except God alone. You know the commandments: ‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, you shall not defraud, honor your father and mother.

4.He said to the woman caught in adultery, "Go now and leave your life of sin." John 8:11. And He said to the man healed at the pool "See, you are well again. Stop sinning or something worse may happen to you." John 5:14. Both were in public and people heard what He said, if only His disciples.

Blessings Steve

Amen. There are so many more scriptures and examples that can be pointed out from Christ and the Apostles and disciples from both the Gospels and Acts.

It would also take me a while to compile all the testimonies I've either personally seen or heard of people getting either saved or heavily convicted by the Holy Spirit through militant, frontline, street evangelism.

2015/1/14 18:02Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Heydave-- in every case the people flocked to Jesus. I am not saying he taught in private. I am saying that the people went to him, meaning they wanted to listen.

The same is true for the apostles.

I think you need to take a closer look at the scriptures.

Neither Jesus nor the apostles were "militant evangelists."

2015/1/14 18:08Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

We are to be militant about many things in our Christian walk, including evangelism. Are you not aware of the scriptures that speak of us being soldiers in a war?

2015/1/14 18:28Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

This vid came to mind on the kind of timid "jesus" many are preaching today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dyjSKVjXJM

2015/1/14 18:34Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

Todd, what do you mean by 'militant evangelism'? It's not a term I am familiar with. If you mean forcing people to listen against their will, like in preaching at them in an enclosed situation where they can't get away, then I agree (I have heard of some of that) it is wrong.

I may be wrong, but I think you may have a specifc issue in mind that concerns you, but you are generalising by making statements about Jesus and the scriptures in a way that is causing folk like me to disagree with your stance, because it is not correct. It may be better for you to say exactly what your beef really is. You may then find that we may agree in some with you.

I did not mean to offend you by saying you need to go back and read the scriptures. It's just sometimes we get an idea in our heads and it is not what is actually recorded.

2015/1/14 18:51Profile
Sidewalk

San Diego

Re: Why the people listened to Jesus

John makes mention more than once that he was the disciple that Jesus loved. I believe he came to that conclusion because the love that shone forth from Jesus was absolutely compelling. John, and obviously others, could feel the radiation of His love whenever they were near, and His voice made the love explode in the room. When He was there, they came to listen like thirsty sheep come to clear cool water.

I believe the secret of His evangelism was that love, the love of the Father emanating from the Son. While we quibble about methods, He just rested in the essence of love and the Spirit drew them in. The Pharisees, at least most of them, loved other things and scorned the genuine love standing before them. People like that still do, but like some of the Pharisees a few make that 180 turn and fall at His feet.

Our most essential need, by the Father's design, is to be loved. Humble common people get that, and hear Him gladly.

Maybe our evangelism would work better if we actually loved the people we're preaching at? Just a thought...

2015/1/14 20:41Profile
Lysa

This world is not my home anymore.

Re:

Quote:
Oracio wrote:
We are to be militant about many things in our Christian walk, including evangelism. Are you not aware of the scriptures that speak of us being soldiers in a war?

Say what? I think you need a new word...

///
Militant definition:

combative and aggressive in support of a political or social cause, and typically favoring extreme, violent, or confrontational methods.

"a militant nationalist"
synonyms: aggressive, violent, belligerent, bellicose, vigorous, forceful, active, fierce, combative, pugnacious;
///

I don't see anything in the scripture that supports a militant gospel.

Lisa

2015/1/14 21:14Profile
Lysa

This world is not my home anymore.

Re: 4 Things Jesus did not do when evangelizing

Quote:
TMK wrote:
1) he did not go to public places and preach to uninterested parties

2) he did not threaten with hell

3) he did not recite the 10 commandments

4) he did not insult sinners or confront them publically about their sin (other than the self-righteous Pharisees)

Todd, I am in agreement with your assessment and one other thing that I'd like to mention about people flocking to Him is that He healed the sick and cast evil spirits out of people. Anyone that could do that and bring the dead to life, people wanted to hear what He had to say!!

God bless,
Lisa

2015/1/14 21:17Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Hi Dave-- I don't really have a beef per se and I am certainly not against evangelism.

Time may be short and I think we need to figure out how to reach the most people in the quickest and most effective way.

You know the old adage of you can't do the same thing over and over and expect different results.

I don't have a a great answer as to what to do other than what Jesus did. So what Lisa mentions is a great place to start.

If street preachers started healing people they would get better results, for sure. Maybe it's time to start believing for such things. After all that is how Jesus started revivals.

2015/1/14 21:53Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

What I mean by militant evangelism is being proactive in sharing our faith; being on the offensive mode as opposed to being apathetic and passive, cowering at the thought of actively evangelizing the lost; and coming up with a million and one excuses for not caring about sharing our faith with the lost. What I mean by frontline street evangelism is going to where the lost congregate and reaching out to them with the life-saving message of the gospel, as opposed to simply waiting for them to come to us or waiting to build a relationship over a long period of time before feeling we have earned the right to share the gospel, which is completely unbiblical.

The famous missionary C.T. Studd said, "Some want to live within the sound of church or chapel bell; I want to run a rescue shop, within a yard of hell.”

2015/1/14 22:09Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy