SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : 4 Things Jesus did not do when evangelizing

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
TMK

NC, USA

4 Things Jesus did not do when evangelizing

1) he did not go to public places and preach to uninterested parties

2) he did not threaten with hell

3) he did not recite the 10 commandments

4) he did not insult sinners or confront them publically about their sin (other than the self-righteous Pharisees)

2015/1/13 15:47Profile
SteveHale

NSW Australia

Re: 4 Things Jesus did not do when evangelizing

G'day Todd,
I have to disagree with a few of them.

1. When He (Jesus) went into Galilee, He was openly proclaiming to the people weather they were interested or not “The time has come,” he said. “The kingdom of God has come near. Repent and believe the good news!”Mark 1:15

2. I'll just give a few off the top of my head - Mark 9:43-48 says, If your hand causes you to stumble, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life maimed than with two hands to go into hell, where the fire never goes out. And if your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life crippled than to have two feet and be thrown into hell. And if your eye causes you to stumble, pluck it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into hell, where

“‘the worms that eat them do not die,
and the fire is not quenched.’

Matthew 5:22, But I tell you that anyone who is angry with a brother or sister will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to a brother or sister, 'Raca,' is answerable to the court. And anyone who says, 'You fool!' will be in danger of the fire of hell.

Matthew 8:12, But the subjects of the kingdom will be thrown outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Matthew 10:28, Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

3. Mark 10:18-19, Why do you call me good?” Jesus answered. “No one is good—except God alone. You know the commandments: ‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, you shall not defraud, honor your father and mother.

4.He said to the woman caught in adultery, "Go now and leave your life of sin." John 8:11. And He said to the man healed at the pool "See, you are well again. Stop sinning or something worse may happen to you." John 5:14. Both were in public and people heard what He said, if only His disciples.

Blessings Steve

2015/1/13 23:44Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

In regards to #1, the parallel in Mt 4:23, he was proclaiming this in the synagogues.

In regards to #2, in those cases the people came to hear him (this was in the sermon on the mount). On other occasions he mentioned hell privately to his disciples.

in regards to #3, it clearly states that the rich young ruler came running to Jesus, not vice versa.

In regard to #4, this was not evangelizing. he told her this privately.

2015/1/14 6:32Profile
Sidewalk

San Diego

Re:

The "Foolishness of Preaching" is a way to itemize sin, proclaim the Godly alternative, and warn of consequences. Doing this publically is a way for the Holy Spirit to reach those with an ear to hear, and assure those who reject the message that they have been condemned- all without personally embarrassing any individual. Seems to me that Jesus did this very publically both in the streets and the houses of worship.

2015/1/14 10:52Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Jesus was not a street preacher as we understand that term. He either taught in the synagogue where people expected to hear teaching or the masses came to him with the intent to hear what he had to say. He obviously also spoke privately with his disciples and other persons (the Samaritan woman; the woman caught in adultery).

2015/1/14 12:13Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Then you have the example of Peter after Pentecost who challenged one and all...

Sandra

2015/1/14 12:36Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

But the crowd was seeking an explanation of what they were seeing and hearing.

2015/1/14 14:22Profile
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Re:

TMK are you simply saying that just setting up a place in the public byways and loudly proclaiming the gospel or quietly handing out tracts is not a NT practice?

2015/1/14 14:30Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Pretty much!!

Some people might bring up John the B but he actually was out in the wilderness and people went to him.

2015/1/14 15:20Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

Todd, regarding public preaching of Jesus, just from remembrance I can think of quite a lot of examples where he did this. The temple cout was the place of general meeting and comerce for multitudes of people, the field preaching on the hills around Galilee, on boats on the shore of the lake so many could hear. In houses open to the general public, etc, etc. You cannot equate exactly streets as there were not really streets where folk would congregate like today, but He certainly did the equivalent in that He went where the people were. Social life was different then to today, so you have to take that into account. The priciple was He went out to where the people were.

I think all your 4 points have already been countered and shown to be incorrect. Respectfully, you should go back and re-look at the scriptures again that have been given.

2015/1/14 17:13Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy