Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : "We will do anything short of sin..."

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
TMK

NC, USA

"We will do anything short of sin..."

Last week and this week our pastor made the point: "we will do anything short of sin to reach others with the Gospel of Jesus Christ."

Thoughts?

2015/1/11 13:09Profile
Sidewalk

San Diego

Re: "We will do anything short of sin..."

Like hanging out in bars to strike up conversations while drinking O'Doul's?

2015/1/11 14:09Profile
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

My pastor has said it too. He didn't mean it. :)

I don't know. It just seems like something preachers say.

2015/1/11 15:10Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

quote: "Like hanging out in bars to strike up conversations while drinking O'Doul's?"

Funny you should mention that. The pastor said that when the church first started he DID have a bible study in a bar. He went to the restroom and the guy in the stall next to him started asking him questions about why he was reading the Bible in a bar.

By the end of the night, that guy was saved and is still actively serving in a church.

"I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some." 1 Cor. 9:22

2015/1/11 15:41Profile
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Re:

Who was it, C.T. Studd? Don't know, but whoever it was said he would rather live within a yard of hell than within the sound of a chapel bell, saving men.

Go into a bar and read the Word? Yes. Is it risky? Might someone call your good "evil"? Yes. Do it anyway.

2015/1/11 17:10Profile
Sidewalk

San Diego

Re:

I love it! While my remark might have been a bit tongue-in-cheek, I appreciate Christians realizing that the life of truth is on the inside, not just in outward appearances. Jesus was in the bar, looking to see His Word take effect.

And Jesus was accused as a sinner on a regular basis for hanging out with the "wrong" people. Your pastor was a great servant- wearing the armor of God, able to go where the unprotected should not.

2015/1/11 17:18Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Being s tad cynical, I would say that the motto of many "seeker centered" churches might be "we will do anything short of pray to reach others for Christ."

But if there really is prayer and an uncompromised gospel is proclaimed, I can give a pass when things are done that are not exactly to my liking if the goal is to reach the lost. It's not about me after all.

2015/1/11 18:37Profile
Renoncer

Re:

Interesting thoughts.

You might notice that Jesus was respected as a teacher. He didn't just "hang out" with prostitutes and tax collectors. When he visited them, He always had a Word from God to them. He was always in control and purposeful in all of His encounters. He didn't just hang out and say a bunch of jokes, and people didn't say, "Jesus sure is a cool dude! He's just like us!" No. When Jesus left a place, people either said, "I want to follow Him and learn from Him", or, "I want to kill Him for what He said."

If we are salt and light to the world, we will have an impact on the world, instead of becoming one of them and losing our flavor.

May God be pleased to make us the aroma of Christ to the world - the fragrance of life to God's elect, and the fragrance of death to the unrepentant. (2 Cor.2:15-16)

2015/1/11 20:52Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

I think Christians put a taboo on too many places when it comes to this subject. It is because Christians have boxed themselves in because many places are not of 'good report' type of thing. The important thing is to not go into it like a religious zealot. Whatever it is you do go to it and find a way for people to come to you and don't be over zealous in going to them otherwise it is a turn off to the max. I have been in bars and in the hood. Be real, be genuine and someone is going to be interested.

2015/1/11 21:28Profile
Sree

I do not agree with this attitude or quotes used by preacher here. I might be attacked here but I want to tell what I believe. I will do what God wants me to do to for the sake of his Gospel rather than do something that I think will work. I am not against preaching in Bars or strip clubs. William Booth used to send his Salvation army recruits to prostitutes. They pay to be with them alone and in that time they discuss gospel with those ladies. How about that?

I believe if God has called someone to do such a ministry for prositutes then go ahead. But just because William Booth did that, I do not want to visit very other prositutes. I have my own calling, I want to do what God wants me to do. May be it was the Pastor's calling to go to bars. But he cannot generalize it and say, do whatever to save others. Even Paul did not ask others to be like him, he just explained his testimony.

The same William Booth did not break bread with wine or Juice in his Church because it reminded many of his ex-alcoholic addicts to taste alcohol again. We should never generalize our calling and appy to others.

2015/1/12 3:02Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy