SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Pope Francis: ‘Bring All Religions Together,’ Concept Of One Denomination Raises Concerns

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
ET101

Pope Francis: ‘Bring All Religions Together,’ Concept Of One Denomination Raises Concerns

"... the notion of bringing all religions together seems like a positive concept that would undoubtedly make the world a better place."

Read more:

http://www.inquisitr.com/1724574/pope-francis-bring-all-religions-together-concept-of-one-denomination-raises-concerns/

2015/1/4 6:12Profile

Re: Pope Francis: ‘Bring All Religions Together,’ Concept Of One Denomination Rai

If unity with non believers destroys some works of the devil, i.e. modern day sex trade/slavery, then let's rejoice. Since that is the goal in the article, more power to the pope.

Or I guess we could be arm-chair critics and point fingers at people.

I choose the former.

2015/1/4 13:26
rainydaygirl

Re: Pope Francis: ‘Bring All Religions Together,’ Concept Of One Denomination Rai

How could you possibly bring all religions together??? maybe those who are not following Jesus will be fine with this but for those who taking up their cross and living unto Jesus, they know this is an impossibility and will not be deceived.

rdg

2015/1/4 16:22Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

The sad truth is that such comments show how earthly minded (rather than heavenly minded) so many people -- including religious people -- are today.

Our primary focus is supposed to be on Heaven and not the things of this Earth.

2015/1/4 17:15Profile

Re:

Jesus said 'If you feed the homeless you feed me.'

Food for thought...

2015/1/4 18:20
rainydaygirl

Re:

The Bible also tells us many will be deceived in the end times.

rdg

2015/1/4 19:20Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi LoveMeekHope,

I want to apologize if it seemed that my comment was directed at you (or anyone in particular). When I wrote, I was referring to the pope and his comments.

I agree that believers are instructed to feed the homeless, etc... I also think that it is a shame that the world often out-churches the Church (the worldwide body of true believers) when it comes to such things.

Unfortunately, the world does this. They give -- often through organizations, politicians and governments of men -- for various reasons apart from the love of God.

There is nothing wrong with the world giving. Muslims give. Buddhists give. Even atheists give. However, if the compassion is real and not artificial (meant to ease a conscience), it still doesn't bring a person closer to God.

I think that I John chapter 4 is very fitting in this discussion:

Quote:
I John 4:1-21 NASB

1 John 4 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. 2 By this you know the Spirit of God: every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God; 3 and every spirit that does not confess Jesus is not from God; this is the spirit of the antichrist, of which you have heard that it is coming, and now it is already in the world. 4 You are from God, little children, and have overcome them; because greater is He who is in you than he who is in the world. 5 They are from the world; therefore they speak as from the world, and the world listens to them. 6 We are from God; he who knows God listens to us; he who is not from God does not listen to us. By this we know the spirit of truth and the spirit of error.

7 Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. 8 The one who does not love does not know God, for God is love. 9 By this the love of God was manifested in us, that God has sent His only begotten Son into the world so that we might live through Him. 10 In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins. 11 Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. 12 No one has seen God at any time; if we love one another, God abides in us, and His love is perfected in us. 13 By this we know that we abide in Him and He in us, because He has given us of His Spirit. 14 We have seen and testify that the Father has sent the Son to be the Savior of the world.

15 Whoever confesses that Jesus is the Son of God, God abides in him, and he in God. 16 We have come to know and have believed the love which God has for us. God is love, and the one who abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him. 17 By this, love is perfected with us, so that we may have confidence in the day of judgment; because as He is, so also are we in this world. 18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves punishment, and the one who fears is not perfected in love. 19 We love, because He first loved us. 20 If someone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for the one who does not love his brother whom he has seen, cannot love God whom he has not seen. 21 And this commandment we have from Him, that the one who loves God should love his brother also.

2015/1/4 20:22Profile
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

ET, can we make something clear? The text you quoted in your post was not a quote of the pope. It was a statement from the writer of that article. And, whatever else the pope may have said, you won't find it in that article.

The writer did a horrible job. He quoted the pope's urging for people from all religions to join against all forms of slavery. That was the extent of the pope's "let's join" call as quoted in the article. Nothing more. It is crystal clear that, from that quote of the pope in the article, nothing more was expected or considered. YET, the writer proceeded on a wholly different premise that the pope was urging religious systems to join as one. There is NOTHING in the pope's quoted words that remotely suggests that he intended anything of that kind. It was poorly written, spun and even called Revelation "the book of Revelations". Anyone who is serious about writing in a publication about things concerning Christianity knows better. He also took a leap into biblical interpretation of "Revelations" to explain (again, without merit or reference) that John wrote that all religions would join as one. I don't know if the writer was watching that History Channel claptrap and listening to John Lennon and imagined what the bible says, or if he seriously believes what he wrote. Either way, the article was a hack job.

I am no papist, nor am I a RCC sympathizer or anything someone might brand me as. I am not defending this or any other pope. You can take issue with them on a zillion things and be on the right side of it. But THIS article is mispicking a fight because the pope did not say, in the quoted text in the article, anything close to the writer's delusional take away from that quote.

2015/1/4 20:29Profile
Sree

There is nothing wrong in calling people of different religion to unite against a social evil. He did not call people of different religion to worship in same way or a find a common worship way. If he says that then it is wrong.

Now is it really necessary for people to unite to fight the social evil? When Jesus lived on this earth, Jews were under the control of Romans. Many thought the messiah will save the jews from physical opression. But Jesus came to save them from the slavery of Sin. God always targets the root of the problem. The root of all social evil is the sinful nature of Men. For example if everyone stopped watching Pronography or prositution then there will be no sex slavery. Because there is a demand, we have supply. A Christian should live such a life that denounces such social evils or demands. Even if the current Christian Population in this world (at least Bible believing Christians) live such a life the world will change.

2015/1/5 1:56Profile
ET101

Re:

Dolfan,

I think you're right. To be honest, I haven't read the actual text of the pope's speech. I think it's here:

http://w2.vatican.va/content/francesco/en/messages/peace/documents/papa-francesco_20141208_messaggio-xlviii-giornata-mondiale-pace-2015.html

All the same though, I am familiar with so many end-times prophecies that say in the last days the world will tend towards ecclesiastical unity.

The mechanism to that end need not necessarily be, say, a council called to formulate the terms of religious unity. It might just be a slow long-term process of uniting around issues 'we' all support...with the strategic intention that with experiences of 'practical' unity ... spiritual dis-unity would be ignored.

2015/1/5 6:53Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy