SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : FASTING & PRAYER

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I still go to work and go about the duties of the day, but i spend the time I would have spent eating or fixin' to eat in prayer or Bible reading or worship. I definitely am more intentional about worship; on my commutes to and from work I would have worship music on instead of news, etc.

mama27-- I read this in "Streams in the Desert" yesterday- thought you might find it encouraging:
_______
"Emergencies call for intense prayer. When the man becomes the prayer nothing can resist its touch. Elijah on Carmel, bowed down on the ground, with his face between his knees, that was prayer--the man himself.

No words are mentioned. Prayer can be too tense for words. The man's whole being was in touch with God, and was set with God against the powers of evil. They couldn't withstand such praying. There's more of this embodied praying needed.
--The Bent-knee Time

"Groanings which cannot be uttered are often prayers which cannot be refused."
--C. H. Spurgeon"

2014/12/31 6:20Profile
mama27

Re:

I saw this also in Streams yesterday - your posting it affirms that it is a word from the Lord to me, and reminds me of Rom. 8:26 - when we do not know how to pray as we ought, the Spirit intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words... thank you for your encouragement.

Also, when I asked if people go about their work while fasting, I now there are times when one goes up to the mountaintop so to speak for an extended period of days to fast and seek God. I was more talking about somewhat routine fasting....

2014/12/31 9:39Profile
Lysa

East TN (for now)

The Power of Fasting by Shane Idleman

I just listened to this sermon, wow! Very good....

Here is the video - SI doesn't have the mp3....
http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/myvideo/photo.php?lid=3723

2015/1/8 11:00Profile
Lysa

East TN (for now)

Re: FASTING & PRAYER

I am reading a book by Arthur Wallis called...
"God's Chosen Fast: A Spiritual and Practical Guide to Fasting." I bought it on amazon for .99.

Here's a quote...

"Fasting is important---more important, perhaps, than many of us have supposed, as I trust this book will reveal...when exercised with a pure heart, and a right motive, fasting may provide us with a key to unlock doors where other keys have failed; a window opening up new horizons in the unseen world; a spiritual weapon of God's providing, "mighty to the pulling down of strongholds.' May God use this book to awaken many of his people to all the spiritual possibilities latent in the fast that God has chosen." - Arthur Wallis

God bless,
Lisa

2015/3/20 0:20Profile
Lysa

East TN (for now)

Re: BillPro

Quote:
by MrBillPro on 2014/12/29 10:41:17

Lysa, is it possible to talk about fasting and what it's done in our lives, without possibly announcing it with fanfare?

Bro Bill,

Sorry, I just saw this tucked in all the responses. I believe it is possible to talk about it without bragging. I don't know what the exact parameters are for it but the Holy Spirit knows and allows us to share. I believe one of the parameters is the "intent" of our heart, is it to be seen of men for them to praise us or to point to the Lord?

I talk about fasting with others a lot more than I talk about signs and wonders! (hehehe, sorry I couldn't help it! :) ) I try not to tell how often or how long I've fasted *nor* do I ask others because that could lead to a urinating contest. But I do talk more to the girls at jail about it because I do want them to learn to seek the Lord. The jail is so structured that we talk about ways they can fast.

My friends, how do you encourage or talk to other Christians to learn and practice this lost art of the church? Can you help Bro Bill?

God bless,
Lisa

2015/3/20 5:43Profile
Theophila

Re:

Hi All,
Just wanted to offer my 2 cents.
A few years ago, DH and I decided to do a 40-day veggie fast in the new year. Now I have fasted on and off sporadically in the past but never a long fast like that.
It was literally as though I was carried along throughout that fast. I didn't have any headaches or other bodily misery. We felt spiritually refreshed afterwards.
Now fast forward a few months later, we tried to do the same fast but boy, were we miserable! Everything hurt. We gave up before the 40 days were over.

In these times, I do believe it is to our advantage to make a regular habit of fasting. I typically do a veggie fast i.e. eat 2 veggie-only meals a day to provide some physical energy so I can actually talk to the Lord without my tummy grumbling. Fasting does sharpen our spiritual antennae and helps us to be more sensitive to the Lord and to other people.

Now that I have a tad more understanding, I glad for this thread and look forward to fasting [probably not another 40-day hike unless the Lords leads in that direction] regularly again.

2015/3/20 11:36Profile
Lysa

East TN (for now)

Re:

I was watching this guy on youtube talk about his water fast at a place called True Blue that helps people do medically supervised water fasts for long periods of time and other nutritional types of things. If you look up “Day 14 Water Fast Update,” you should find his video.

Bu my point is for a secular guy he states at 1 min and 20 sec that there is a “mental side of fasting” and that he’s found out that people who don’t succeed “don’t know how to rest.” He said also that an intern there told him that “fasting favors a calm mind and if you can put your focus on one thing at a time instead of it being scattered, that that was going to be the person who does best on a fast.”

I found those statements very interesting and thought how they could apply to Christians.

I think that for the most part, he is correct. I have remembered back when I wasn’t focused on the Lord and fasting for whatever reason, I lasted less than a day maybe two. I just wanted to put this forth to us who have tried and are trying to fast for the Lord and see if anyone else had thoughts about this.

God bless,
Lisa

2015/3/24 9:06Profile
Lysa

East TN (for now)

Re:

Quote:
Theophila wrote:
In these times, I do believe it is to our advantage to make a regular habit of fasting.

I listened to a sermon on fasting by Derek Prince a couple of years ago and in it he stated that from the time he came to the Lord he felt compelled to fast one day a week. that was in the 1940's. He kept fasting one day a week until he died. He said that he had no doubt that the faithfulness of fasting one day a week led to his ministry that God gave him.

To be honest, after listening to that sermon, I was like, "yeah, I'm going to start fasting one day a week!" LOLOL that lasted less than a week!

But I can see more clearly now after listening to that youtube video (1MIN a DAY), I can see the single-mindedness that Derek had to have to be able to do that.

Anyway, I know that I will have to pray to be more focused on the task at hand to fast regularly.

God bless,
Lisa

2015/3/24 9:41Profile
Theophila

Re:

To return to regular weekly fasts, I would probably choose my least busy day, and would probably only skip one meal, just so I have physical energy to carry on with the day, instead of being reduced to one crabby mess. I would also make lots of soup, from scratch.

When non-followers of Jesus speak of fasting, I tend to back up a bit. Mainly because fasting for them is a soulish activity, that further establishes them in darkness. Most serious devotees of all false religions fast regularly.

2015/3/24 10:56Profile
Jeremy221

Re: the source

Hi Lisa,

I would commend relistening to that message. More often than not, we miss the preparation and elements of things like this. We hear of the result but don't pick up the cause.

I remember a similar incident to the experience you described after hearing Prince's testimony. I was having supper with a group of Christians and the issue of selfcontrol was brought up. Someone recommended fasting and testified how they had been able to fast for periods that would naturally wear them out if the Lord led. The one seeking advice about developing self-control concluded that a fast was in order. I was lead to reprove him and go over the conditions that lead to these successful fasts.

I know that if I fast because it is something I believe I should do, I give in very easily. However, If I am lead, I'm usually directed beforehand, reminded at the beginning and sustained throughout. His yoke is easy and His burden is light.

2015/3/24 11:56Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy