Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Prophets and Watchmen

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Prophets and Watchmen

What is the consensus on these 2 offices or operations? I don't know if there are Prophets of God in the Earth today but I do believe there are Watchmen. David Wilkerson was a Watchmen.

The Bible isn't totally clear whether there be Prophets in these latter days unless I am missing some references to it. Many of the people I see today claiming to be a Prophet tend to come out of the Pentecostal/Charismatic circles and I don't buy into it because they offer 'full Gospel' stuff but lack serious discernment.

What are your thoughts and you believe Prophets exist can you provide examples of who might be a Prophet? Or even a Watchmen.

David Wilkerson is the only person who comes to mind. There are a few others I think of but not sure if they could be classified as well. ie. Jonathan Cahn to which I posted about his book 'The Harbinger'.

2014/12/17 11:24Profile
staff

Re: Prophets and Watchmen

Hi
I dont think you can be a watchmen without being a Prophet.
Also the bible is clear in the listing of gifts that Prophet is for all time.Yes their is crazy stuff going on in Charasmatic/Pentecostal circles that is also rejected by the majority of Pentecostal Charismatic people.
yours Staff

2014/12/17 18:37Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

As Christians we should all be prophetic

And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions Joel 2:28

But being prophetic doesn't make you a Prophet, that I believe is one of the greatest causes of error today. Why because you have all the so called "prophets" that are focused on the gifts of the Holy Spirit - but ignore the Holiness of the Holy Spirit.

2014/12/18 1:49Profile
Sree

Quote:

What are your thoughts and you believe Prophets exist can you provide examples of who might be a Prophet? Or even a Watchmen.

New Covenant prophecy is different from Old Covenant. In old Covenant, Elisha for example waned the king about the possible attack of Arameans. This is a great example of Prophsy where a prophet is able to preserve God's people by his gift.

2Kings 6:8 - Now the king of Aram was warring against Israel; and he counseled with his servants saying, "In such and such a place shall be my camp." The man of God sent word to the king of Israel saying, "Beware that you do not pass this place, for the Arameans are coming down there." The king of Israel sent to the place about which the man of God had told him; thus he warned him, so that he guarded himself there, more than once or twice...

Now lets see an example of Prophecy in New Covenant,

Acts 15:32 - Judas and Silas, also being prophets themselves, encouraged and strengthened the brethren with a lengthy message.

Now they did not prophecy about people getting Job or people getting money etc as seen on TV today. But Silas and Judas prophesied that encouraged and strengthened the Church. The purpose of NT gift of Prophesy is for strengthening and encouraging the brothers, it is not for predicting future event for individual gains.

That is why Paul says in a Church if everyone prophecy then the new comer will fall on his face and cry that Lord is in their midst. Imagine if they were prophesing like our TV prophets will anyone react this way? But if they gave a powerful message that will covict, encourage and strengthen the Church then the new commer will fall on his face.

Just like Elisha saved the kindom from the attack of other nations, the Prophets of Church deliver God's word in Church that will save the Church from attack of Satan. That is why as a Prophet one has to sit and hear God's word to share it in Church. It is not about delivering a great message, it is about talking from God's burden for the Church.

2014/12/18 6:29Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I am more comfortable saying a person can be "prophetic" as opposed to being a prophet.

To me, the term "prophetic" is difficult to define, but I know it when I hear (or read) it.

2014/12/18 11:08Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

Very good read

Quote:

New Covenant prophecy is different from Old Covenant. In old Covenant, Elisha for example waned the king about the possible attack of Arameans. This is a great example of Prophsy where a prophet is able to preserve God's people by his gift.

2Kings 6:8 - Now the king of Aram was warring against Israel; and he counseled with his servants saying, "In such and such a place shall be my camp." The man of God sent word to the king of Israel saying, "Beware that you do not pass this place, for the Arameans are coming down there." The king of Israel sent to the place about which the man of God had told him; thus he warned him, so that he guarded himself there, more than once or twice...

Now lets see an example of Prophecy in New Covenant,

Acts 15:32 - Judas and Silas, also being prophets themselves, encouraged and strengthened the brethren with a lengthy message.

Now they did not prophecy about people getting Job or people getting money etc as seen on TV today. But Silas and Judas prophesied that encouraged and strengthened the Church. The purpose of NT gift of Prophesy is for strengthening and encouraging the brothers, it is not for predicting future event for individual gains.

That is why Paul says in a Church if everyone prophecy then the new comer will fall on his face and cry that Lord is in their midst. Imagine if they were prophesing like our TV prophets will anyone react this way? But if they gave a powerful message that will covict, encourage and strengthen the Church then the new commer will fall on his face.

Just like Elisha saved the kindom from the attack of other nations, the Prophets of Church deliver God's word in Church that will save the Church from attack of Satan. That is why as a Prophet one has to sit and hear God's word to share it in Church. It is not about delivering a great message, it is about talking from God's burden for the Church.

This causes me to wonder where this happens in the church today because it seems it rarely happens in more Conservative style churches today. I think of Catholic, Lutheran, Anglican/Episcopal on to the Baptist. You tend to see this type of practice in the more liberal practices of the church because they seem more open to it.

2014/12/18 11:14Profile
staff

Re:

Hi
There remains an office of Prophet in the new testament Church whether we feel comfortable or not.Comfort has nothing to do with it.
We cannot discuss this topic on the basis of the people we see on TV.We will not glean anything if it is based on our feelings on so called Prophets on the box.
Can Prophets encourage the brethren and predict the future accurately.Of Course it would be poor day if they couldnt.
Yours Staff

2014/12/18 11:24Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

Staff

We cannot judge Prophets by things we see on tv yet are we to keep believing Prophets exist today even if we believe we have never heard or seen a Prophet because scripture says so? That sounds almost blasphemous but I ask it in an inquiring way.

2014/12/18 11:32Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

The issue is whether a person who is not a "prophet" can be prophetic. I would say absolutely.

I would also say that a person deemed a "prophet" may not always speak prophetically.

That is why I believe the word "prophetic" is a better term to use.

A person may have the gift of teaching but they might not always teach.

I don't think the verse that talks about some being prophets means that there are those with an office of prophet. I think it means that sometimes there are persons who speak prophetically.

2014/12/18 13:57Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

" And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ." (Ephesians 4:11,12).

The above scriptures are speaking about the five fold ministry to the Body of Christ which includes the office of the prophet.

"For to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, and to another the word of knowledge according to the same Spirit; to another faith by the same Spirit, and to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit, and to another the effecting of miracles, and to another prophecy." (1 Corinthians 12: 8-10).

1st Corinthians 12 speaks of the gifts of the Spirit which includes the gift of prophesy. One that has been given the gift of prophesy is not neccessarily a prophet.

"For you can all prophesy one by one, with the result that all will learn something and all will be encouraged." (1 Corinthians 14:31).

In this scripture the Apostle Paul says that prophesy is for all. "The Spirit of prophesy is the testimony of Jesus." (Revelation 19:10).

Prophesy is for the edification, exhortation, and comfort of believers, and it is the Holy Spirit moving through a believer for a particular purpose of God.

2014/12/18 22:23Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy