SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Active Faith

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Active Faith

I'm going to start this thread with a disclaimer. This is NOT a thread to discuss doctrine, as this is under 'general topics'.

I would rather talk about actions and actions that the Holy Spirit has been leading you to do.

I'd love to hear about fellow members lives of service to others. Did you uplift someone with a word of encouragement? Let's hear the story. Did you cast out a demon and their life was radically changed? Let's hear.

I'd like to hear responses that YOU PERSONALLY have done. Please no "my friend did this". As, that person isn't here. If you want their story shared, well...get them to post here. :)

Did the Holy Spirit weigh on you one night to pray for a specific country, then...later you heard of how civil war was avoided? DO TELL!!! :)

I'm looking to hear about YOUR testimony. On how God worked in and through you.

Psalm 119:111 "I have inherited Your testimonies forever, For they are the joy of my heart."

2014/12/6 14:32

Re: Active Faith

I have a handful of stories recently but I'll start off with this one of simple act.

(I'm not a great story teller, kind of long winded, so please bear with me. :) )

About two years ago, I started going to this AG church, by God's leading. I mostly attended their prayer meetings, as they were minimal in their religious pride (it was a Thursday night, people work jeans and shorts, it was welcoming). These meetings felt rich, roughly 50 people every meeting, with a faithful group of 20. I came to these meetings at the tail end of it's existence. It was around six years prior and when I came, it was only around for one more year after I joined.

The faithful ~20 knew each other for most of those six years. They went on hiking trips, ski trips, and various social outings.

When I arrived, there was one of the 'faithful 20' that I kept hearing about, let's call him James. Everyone said, "James is amazing" "Boy, that reminds me of James" "What you never met James? Gosh, he is awesome." Keep in mind, I went every single week, except maybe four meetings.

I heard of James for months on end. From almost everyone. But I never met this James.

Finally, after 3-4 months, I meet him. He seems like a cool Christian. He lived up to all the hype and praise that others spoke of him behind his back.

Fast forward to a year ago, the prayer group ends.

My wife and I now start seeking out godly friendships. One of the people we sought out...was...you guessed it, James.

Well, we nurture our friendship. Loving him. Encouraging him. Just being a good friend. No strings.

After about half a year, James randomly drops a bomb on us.

"Guys, if it wasn't for you. I'm not sure where I'd be."

To our shock, "What do you mean?!?!"

"Well, I was really depressed when we started hanging out. No one was hanging out with me. No one called, except maybe one guy from the prayer group. I reached out but no one seemed like they wanted to hang out with me. You guys did and I'm grateful that you showed me God's love. You guys are the reason why I'm here."

He went on to say how he struggled with deep depressed and how we helped him out of it.

In conclusion, I feel I learned a lot from just being someone's friend. I didn't feel me nor my wife had anything to offer anyone. But we do, it's love. And it's a power that breaks every chain. Also, I learned that the Christians at the prayer meeting...had forgotten the value of friendship. For whatever reason, they stopped hanging out with 'awesome James'. That another 'James' could be struggling and needs your company/love. I don't judge the brothers who stopped hanging out with James, God provided a way, through wife/I, to impact James and that's all that matters (He has impacted us deeply too...and continues to impact our lives).

2014/12/6 14:57

Re:

Does any one else have any testimonies?

2014/12/10 17:29
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Re:

LMH -- I have a story a little bit like yours about James. About three weeks ago, I met a guy I'll call "John" -- not his real name. He came to church where we are members, and dropped by but not into my adult SS class. (We call ourselves Young Adults, but I'm about the youngest at 47!!) Anyway, the following week he returned but came into our class. He sat attentively but was quiet. He then sat behind my wife and me during church service. Afterward, I talked with him and he complained about loneliness --- a lot. I met him this past Saturday morning for coffee and then he came to our home on Saturday night for our home group meeting. He confessed some stuff and we had the chance to pray alone together about some things, and it was a pleasure for me to get to do that with someone. I felt like I was more blessed than he probably felt! I love doing that.

2014/12/10 17:47Profile
romanchog

One of the things that has always surprised me is that people, genuinely sincere and loving, do not know how to offer help. Time and again I have seen a situation where I know the person wanted to help, but their offer of help was so minimal it is as if no help was given.

Recently, there was a woman at our church whose mother was in the hospital. She was frustrated with the quality of the care her mother was receiving. I was not aware of this until I was talking with someone else at church who told me that she was frustrated and wanted to move her mom to another hospital. The next day I got a text message from the daughter that her mom was better, so I let this sit.

On Monday night, she sent a text message to all her contacts that she was frustrated with the doctors. I asked her if she was still interested in transferring her mom. She said yes. I asked a lot of questions about her mom, her insurance situation, etc. I looked up the rules on this.

The next morning, I spent some time locating the phone number of the transfer department at a better hospital. I called them and got the information she needed. I also found out where she could call to speak to a patient advocate at the hospital her mom was at.

I forwarded all this information to her, and offered to drive her or her mom if this was necessary. She was very thankful for the information. It was a real relief to her.

This did not take much time or effort for me to do, but people who knew this before I did never thought to do anything. It is not because they are not wanting to help. I just think people don't know how to truly offer assistance. Perhaps because it seems like such a simple thing they assume she can handle it herself, but when you have someone in the hospital, your time is consumed with taking care of that person, and you don't have time to investigate anything.

2014/12/11 9:57Profile

Re:

Wow romanchog. Such a simple act. Yet so powerful. For me, medical stuff just paralyzes me, so if I were the mom or daughter I wouldn't know where to start to help. But you were outside help. I'm sure they were deeply grateful for your assistance.

Dolfan, fantastic! I think we tend to overlook the simple things like this. Someone saying 'I'm lonely'. I feel, that we (me too!) tend to overlook such subtle comments. You really were Christ to them!

These are great stories guys. I hope others can share their simple acts of love/kindness. This is all very encouraging.

2014/12/11 14:06
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Many years ago Regina was in the hospital suffering from terminal cancer (glioblastoma). The day was depressing - I had spent after day with her - many folks came to see her but never me - that was OK, not complaining, just stating facts. (Regina was hospitalized at a facility 850 miles from our home.)

I got to the elevator fixing to go to the first floor and go back to the hospitality house. I felt bad... the chaplain got in the elevator with me, took one look at me - she was familiar with our situation - and started quoting scripture to me as fast as she could. By the time we got to the first floor my sadness had lifted - felt good, spirits restored.

I think many times on this situation - it took only a minute, if that long, to encourage me. I was so grateful. I learned there is room for ladies to serve as chaplains in hospitals because there are many females there in need of encouragement and a woman can read another one better then a male can.

I have many stories but this one came to my mind...

2014/12/11 15:54Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

I did volunteer work for many years at the Crises Pregnancy Center.

In the course of counseling one quickly got into a rut - we ask certain questions and the responses were predictable depending on the situation we were dealing with. A lot of details were different but the heart of the issue remained the same. This is important to understand because of what I am going to share.

A client came in to the center on day wanting a pregnancy test. It was a quiet, slow day. I opted to talk with her out in the front waiting room because she left her car running - she was afraid it would not start if she cut the engine. There I sat, worried about her car, worried someone would come by and drive it away. Worried. I asked her the routine questions - I was flying on automatic pilot, not thinking much what I was saying, just saying. As I confronted her about her need for the LORD she readily accepted, and she prayed. The joy this woman experienced left me in awe.It was totally the work of the Holy Spirit. I did not work hard to bring her to the LORD at all - I was too concerned about her car!

Humbling, yet a powerful lesson - conviction is totally the work of the LORD.

2014/12/19 22:58Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy