SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Hmmm. I just noticed this...

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Sidewalk

San Diego

Hmmm. I just noticed this...

Preparing a message out of Acts chapter 9 where Paul meets Jesus on the road to Damascus, some versions have the line in verse 5 that says "It is hard to kick against the goads." Other versions eliminate it completely.

Any thoughts on this? I don't have any original manuscripts on me right at the moment...

2014/11/18 11:24Profile
dolfan

Alabama

Re: Hmmm. I just noticed this...

From. http://tyndalearchive.com/scriptures/www.innvista.com/scriptures/compare/some.htm

NKJ And he said, "Who are You, Lord?"
Then the Lord said, "I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting. It is hard for you to kick against the goads."
So he, trembling and astonished, said, "Lord, what do You want me to do?"
Then the Lord said to him, "Arise and go into the city, and you will be told what you must do."
Footnote: NU-Text and M-Text omit the last sentence of verse 5 and begin verse 6 with But arise and go.

KJV And he said, "Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecuteth: it is hard to thee to kick against the pricks.
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do? And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do.

EBR And he said --
Who art thou, Lord?
And /he/ [said] --
//I// am Jesus whom //thou// art persecuting!
But rise up and enter into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do.

IB And he said, Who are you, Sir? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom you persecute. It is hard for you to kick against the prods. Both trembling and being astonished, he said, Lord, what do You desire me to do? And the Lord said to him, Rise up and go into the city, and it will be told you what you must do.

NBV He said, "Who are You, Lord?" He answered, "I am Jesus, whom you have been persecuting. [It is hard for you to kick against the goads." Trembling and astonished, he asked, "Lord, what would You have me do?" The Lord said to him,] "Rise and enter the city and it will be told you what you must do."
Footnote: The words in verses 5 and 6 that are enclosed in brackets are not found in the majority of the most reliable ancient manuscripts.

NET "Who are You, Lord?" he asked.
"I am Jesus," He said, "whom you are persecuting. But get up, go into the city, and you will be told what you should do."

PRS "Who are you, Lord?" he asked.
"I am Jesus whom you are persecuting," was the reply. "But now stand up and go into the city and there you will be told what you must do."

Surveying BibleHub, apparently only KJV, Douay-Rheims, Jubilee Bible. Webster's Bible and YLT include the goads sentence.

You can read this compilation if you have a mind to. http://brandplucked.webs.com/acts957hear720excee.htm

2014/11/18 11:37Profile
yuehan

Try cross-referencing that verse with Acts 26:14, where that phrase can be found.

2014/11/18 12:48Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Good catch Yuehan. Sort of makes the textual differences in the earlier verse irrelevant.

I have always liked the phrase because it brings out the idea that Paul was under heavy conviction prior to his conversion which I expect began at Stephens stoning, but that he was resisting in order to keep his position of power. This was a trait that many of the Pharisees exhibited and which Jesus found particularly distasteful.

2014/11/18 14:31Profile
Sidewalk

San Diego

Re:

Thank you guys!

I agree TMK that the verse has some serious power in that the Holy Spirit had undoubtably been on Saul's case for some time. I expect the Jerusalem saints had him in their prayer sights, and it was no secret in Damascus that the man from hell was coming to town to cause them great harm.

I love the knowledge that when Christians pray, evil men crumble to their knees before our God. Who should we target next??

2014/11/18 16:47Profile
rookie

Ecc 12:11
The words of the wise are like goads, and the words of scholars are like well-driven nails, given by one Shepherd.

The words that the Lord speaks are like goads to those who are hard hearted and stubborn.

Pro 2:6
For the LORD gives wisdom;
From His mouth come knowledge and understanding;

Pro 1:23
Turn at my rebuke;
Surely I will pour out my spirit on you;
I will make my words known to you.

2014/11/18 20:15Profile
JB1968

Ohio USA

It may depend on what Greek texts these different translations were translated from.

2014/11/18 22:49Profile
Sidewalk

San Diego

Re: Translations

Apparently, Textus Receptus (Stevens 1550, Elzevir 1624) which was used for the AV and King James has the line in 9:5, whereas Codex Sinaiticus used in ASV and other translations does not.

No, I am in no way smart enough to know that, I am not even sure what I just wrote- but one much smarter than me sent me a private note explaining this along with the corresponding Greek texts.

Blown away, I was...!

Bottom line- When God is kicking you, PAY ATTENTION!

2014/11/19 11:33Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy