SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Just War - WWJD

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: Just War - WWJD

This isn't necessarily about a “just war” and after reading dfella’s testimony, I'd like to give my testimony about being fully persuaded in non resistance. At 19, I moved in my own apartment and in front of the bedroom window was a huge, giant bush that hid the window. One night I had an experience with the Holy Spirit and it is here that starts my testimony.

While sleeping one night, I was awakened as my body was literally raising itself up at the waist while loudly speaking in tongues with an authority I had not experienced at that time. I was speaking in tongues for what seemed like 5 minutes but I’m sure it wasn't that long! Just as quickly as the Holy Spirit started, He stopped.

And at that moment, I heard two voices whispering to each other just outside the bedroom window and then footsteps running. I jumped out of bed & ran to the living room to look out the front window. I heard tires chirp as they took off and saw brake lights as they flew down the road and then around the corner.

Now, like in Acts 2 when they came down out of the upper room and those around them heard and understood their own language, I believe that those guys heard and understood every word that they heard, hence their running to their car and speeding down the road... even though I didn't understand a word.

Since then, I know that I know that I know God can and will take care of me and my family. I’ll admit through the years, there’s been temptation to “get a gun” for security purposes. I seem to be surrounded by family members and best friends are buying and taking classes for concealed carry permits. I have told them my story but like the Bible and dfella said, "Every man has to be fully persuaded in his own mind." When I am around that gun talk and think about getting a gun, I am always reminded of the night 30 some years ago, the night that my God didn't leave me or forsake me, praise His holy name!

“Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen.” ~ Eph 3:20-21

2014/11/16 12:25Profile

Re:

I feel Jesus' message was to not identify with title but with deed.

For example, 'hate your mother and father', 'righteousness that exceeds that of the Pharasees', 'feed/cloth/serve the least of these'.

We aren't to defend God's name. We aren't to advance God's kingdom via war, strife, division, murder. We are to love and serve. We are called to live a holy life. God will rise up in our stead. God, not man, will rise up in our stead.

I feel that Jesus' was revolutionary in His perspective. "The rain falls on the righteous and the unrighteous". I think Jesus is calling us to be the same. To continuously rain love, peace, joy onto others. To demonstrate the loving God that Jesus showed us.

2014/11/23 14:38
dfella

Canton, Michigan

Re:

Amen Lisa!You use a phrase I use many times, and that is:

"I know, that I know, that I know". When the Holy Spirit of the Lord confirms and quickens that which He wants us to KNOW, we are willing to die for it.

Just as we know that we know that we know Jesus IS the Christ, we are willing to die for HIM.

I am in full agreement and bear witness that the LORD interceded on your behalf sister for I know, that I know, that He did.

The absolute and utter POWER of praying in the Spirit is beyond all human understanding. Our supplications, intercessions, and groanings for ourselves and others in the Spirit of God is so "other than", meaning many may not have a clue as to what God is doing in and through us.

Wonderful testimony sister, it brings me great encouragement to hear of such.

2014/11/24 10:49Profile

Re:

Can we go back to the 'Just War' discussion? As, that is the topic at hand. Feel free to start a new thread if you want to discuss being saved and other indirectly related tangents. Thanks!

2014/11/24 17:08
Sree

Re:

Luke 21:14:-"So make up your minds not to prepare beforehand to defend yourselves; "

My answer is based on the above verse. Jesus clearly wanted us not to prepare beforehand about how to defend ourselves in various situations. I am sure I do not know what I will do if someone puts gun on my 2 years old daughter's head or my beloved wife's head. But I am not going to prepare well ahead for that situation. As Jesus promised in Luke 21, he will give me wisdom to act which no man can comprend. All those who are getting guns are already making preparation to defend, which is against what Jesus said.

2014/11/25 1:35Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Sree quoted:

Luk 21:13
“But it will turn out for you as an occasion for testimony.

Luk 21:14
“Therefore settle it in your hearts not to meditate beforehand on what you will answer;

Luk 21:15
“for I will give you a mouth and wisdom which all your adversaries will not be able to contradict or resist.

Jesus tells us not to dwell on what we should say when persecution comes from both the religious and civil governments. We are to say, as the prophet, what God wants us to say in the moment that we are asked. The wisdom of God will confound and infuriate those who come against the believer.

In terms of who this applied to, it was to those who lived prior to 70 AD. And Jesus forewarned them to have a plan...

Luk 21:21
“Then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains, let those who are in the midst of her depart, and let not those who are in the country enter her.

So the plan was to prepare to flee to the mountains when the destruction was at hand.

2014/11/25 14:48Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

LoveMeekHope asks...

Can we go back to the 'Just War' discussion?

I posted an example given to us in Scripture which confirms that there are "just wars."

2014/11/25 14:50Profile
drifter

Campbell River, B.C.

Re:

Luke 21:14:-"So make up your minds not to prepare beforehand to defend yourselves;" (I don't know what version this is from)

Luke21:14 KJV "Settle it therefore in your hearts, not to meditate before what ye shall answer."

It doesn't say don't defend yourself, just don't decide for yourself what you will answer.

2014/11/25 18:26Profile
DeanTaylor

Ephrata PA

Re:

Greetings Saints!

This has been an issue that the Lord has brought into my life about 25 years ago.

For me, things started to change when I stood as a soldier at the Berlin wall and shook hands with my "enemy" through the newly made holes. Through this experience and many others, the Lord spoke to me and I began a journey of taking the words of the Lord very seriously.

Im not sure exactly what happened but it was like a light came on in my soul concerning HIs words. One night I was reading the Sermon on the mount and it was if I heard Jesus simply said, "I mean that." It's like just hit me, "What if Jesus really meant every word He said?"

Since then I have been in love with Jesus more and more and I have tried, by His grace, to put the teachings of Jesus into as practical and real way that I possibly can. I fail often. But He is merciful with me and HIs grace in empowering.

If anyone would be interested, I recently was involved in a large debate on this subject in downtown Boston at the historic Faneuil Hall.

Supporting Christian Nonresistance was me (Dean Taylor) and David Bercot. On the Just war side was Peter Kreeft (Ph.D. Fordham University) is professor of philosophy at Boston College.and J. Daryl Charles (Ph.D., Westminster Theological Seminary).

You can watch the debate here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4xQaDDKY7k

Oh... and Bro Greg, if you would like to republish the video on sermonindex i'm sure it would be ok. Just let me know and I will get the permission from the moderator.

Just ask yourself, "can a person be a follower of Christ...without following Christ?

Your brother,
Dean Taylor

2014/11/25 22:11Profile
Sree

Re:

Quote:
It doesn't say don't defend yourself, just don't decide for yourself what you will answer.

I used NASB. If Jesus spoke against planning to defend in our verbal answers, then how much more is it applicable in our actions? For example if Verbal accuse is Sin how much more physical abuse.

You just see the letter but ignore the spirit. See the spirit behind the letter as I have seen, which is clearly against defending our self in a pre-planned way.

You did not read my post at all. I never said we should not defend our self, I only said we should not plan to defend our self. This is accordance with scripture. God will at that time tell us what to do. Buying a Gun is a way to defend ourself in a preplanned way, where a person is determined that he is willing to commit murder to defend his life.

2014/11/25 22:18Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy