SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Grieving in Heaven?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
TMK

NC, USA

Grieving in Heaven?

I have a compilation of portions of Leonard Ravenhill sermons called "Crowns."

In this he makes a statement: "If God gives you a job to do and you don't do it, in eternity you'll see a man forever and ever wearing a crown that you should have had. A hundred million years from now you'll be grieving over it."

Now, I really like the statement because of its rhetorical power, I am just not sure if it is true.

Do you believe there will be grieving like this in heaven, or perhaps a softer word- regretting?

2014/10/28 6:40Profile
KPYee

Re: Grieving in Heaven?

I find Ravenhill's perspective to be comical . I am sure he meant it in that light . All who get into heaven will not be afflicted with envy . So none will be jealous for the one bestowed with a crown. Rather the contrary, all will rejoice with him .

2014/10/28 7:31Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
In this he makes a statement: "If God gives you a job to do and you don't do it, in eternity you'll see a man forever and ever wearing a crown that you should have had. A hundred million years from now you'll be grieving over it."

I believe at the judgment seat there will be grieving or regret. I also believe that it would be easier and better to seek to fulfill all of the will of God in this life then to have to endure the time at the judgment seat in regret. There will be a sort of timelessness to that judgment period, we see things darkly yet it seems to desire to be obedient now will have great consequences in that day. Lord keep us eternity conscious in time.

2014/10/28 8:15Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

There will be distinctions in heaven, scripture teaches this plainly. For example, crowns will be given to honor the martyrs; other crowns will be given to distinguish the overcomers. Not everyone will be a martyr, obviously, nor an overcomer -- yet all these will still be in heaven. I believe the new earth will have rulers, and there will be hierarchy. What we do here on the old earth will determine the authority Jesus will entrust onto us on the new earth.

2014/10/28 13:36Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

If there is no regret, or tears, in heaven(or the new earth) then one's position there would be irrelevant. For there certainly will not be pride for those in higher positions, and no envy or regret for those is lower positions.

It is very difficult for us now to imagine what that would be like.

2014/10/28 13:59Profile
Sidewalk

San Diego

Re:

In the parable of the talents, The king gives 5 talents to one servant, two to another, and of course the one to loser-boy. At the accounting the one with 5 has made 5 more, and the one with 2 has made another 2. The approving words to each man are exactly the same as they are invited into the joy of the Master.

It seems that while the rewards will be different, the Master's attitude is exactly the same and since He is the actual reward what difference would it really make? To whom much is given shall much be required and to whom little, little!

It seems to me that the man who is given much but gives back little is just stealing from himself. His eternal reward will be shortchanged simply because he limited himself from what might have been so much greater. And still he won't be able to fathom the difference.

Lastly, spending eternity envying someone else's crown sounds more like Hell than heaven???

2014/10/28 17:34Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Agreed, Tom. This is why I wonder why Mr. Ravenhill said it.

2014/10/28 17:52Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

My impression has been that Leonard Ravenhill used a lot of hyperbole in his messages to make a strong point. Not neccesarily wrong, but you have to understand the point he is making rather than take it all as literal facts. He is exhorting, not teaching doctrine.

Edit: in fact Jesus used hyperbole quite a bit, such as "you strain out gnats and swallow camels" and "it's easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter heaven".

2014/10/28 18:45Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I agree Dave. I am not trying to nitpick. Like I said at first I like what he said and it appears to be rhetoric. I didn't mean to come off like I was bashing him because I would not do that.

It just got me thinking whether there might be some truth in what he said.

2014/10/28 20:24Profile
Sidewalk

San Diego

Re: Ravenhill

No one ever accused Len Ravenhill of being a happy camper. He spent his life chastising the church, never satisfied with whatever people were doing at their level for the kingdom. He wanted to see more prayer, deeper worship, less worldliness, holier lives. He would take an invitation to speak at a church and rip them up one aisle, down the other. He fascinated people, but there weren't a lot of second invitations!

My friend Dick Nelson, who met Len when he tore our church up, was one of the few people he met along the way who became good friends. I was always on the edge of that relationship but in 1986 as I was moving to California I stopped in Texas to visit with him at his home. It was a nice visit and a treasured memory for me, but not filled with any personal warmth.

Best he remain the honored preacher he is, glean his wisdom and enjoy his holy wit. But be sure to similarly gather seed from a lot of other personalities too, too much Len will fill you with...too much Len.

2014/10/28 22:47Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy