SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Grace Rules by Gary Wilkerson

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
PosterThread
Sree

Re:

Quote:

I'm not sure which article you're referring to - I trust that it is not the book of Luke! As for the other articles which I shared, none of them make those claims either.

I was refering to the article by Gary Wilkerson.

2014/10/29 2:31Profile

Greasy Grace by Dustin Horstmann

Greasy Grace:

The main consequence for sin that was removed at the Cross was the eternal penalty for it.

But other consequences for our actions were not suspended or removed. This is an important distinction. E.g. Your wife should be hurt if you are mean to her.

A counterfeit grace actually replaces Christ with an *idea of grace* disconnected from Him, namely that there are no more consequences and it doesn't matter what I do, or even, that I have no real duty because "it's all grace!"

This is counterfeit grace because it latches onto the phrase "apart from works" and makes that *idea* the savior instead of Christ. "Having less rules saves me," is the false conclusion. Thus a philosophy becomes savior and Christ is pushed aside.

Reliance on our works (in order to be justified) keeps us from connecting to Christ. That is why that phrase is important.

But simply shunning works without the purpose of relying on Christ alone will result in death. Christ is grace. Reliance on works keeps us from Him. Those who rely on Him alone will work from love--gloriously so.

But just throwing out works haphazardly without an intent to rely on Christ is counterfeit grace.

2014/10/29 6:19
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Re: Greasy Grace by Dustin Horstmann

Grace is only grace to a believer when he knows he doesn't deserve it. Otherwise it does just remain an theological concept, a insurance policy against accident.

2014/10/29 8:52Profile
proudpapa

RE: ///I had no clue that even lust was a sin and I was convicted of that sin and realized I desperately needed God’s strength to overcome that addiction. ///

Yes, That is it.
It took the Grace of God for you to overcome that addiction.
It was not your will power that overcame but Grace that empowered you to overcome. (So God gets all the Glory)
That is the point that Brother yuehan was making.

Repentance is a gift from God not an offering that we give to God.

2014/10/29 9:03Profile
proudpapa

The area of concern

The area of concern with the artical might not be so much with the content in and of its self. But rather with an unbalanced propagation of the message.
The artical that I only read over quickly and did not study deeply seemed on the surface atleast, to be consistant with what many (If not most) Preachers on SI including what David Wilkerson taught as is "the key to understanding righteousness."
But D. Wilkerson, Spurgeon, Cymbala etc. properly balance the message with messages that properly plow up the fallow ground, so that the seeds are more likely to fall on proper soil.

"the key to understanding righteousness." by David Wilkerson https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=4531&commentView=itemComments

2014/10/29 9:04Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

Spurgeon on the preaching of repentance:

"Let every man understand that he will never have remission of sin while he is in love with sin; and that if he abides in sin he cannot obtain the pardon of sin. There must be a hatred of sin, a loathing of it, and a turning from it, or it is not blotted out. We are to preach repentance as a duty . "The times of this ignorance God winked at, but now commands all men everywhere to repent." "Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins." He that has sinned is bound to repent of having sinned: it is the least that he can do. How can any man ask God for mercy while he abides in his sin?

We are to preach the acceptableness of repentance. In itself considered there is nothing in repentance deserving of the favor of God; but, the Lord Jesus Christ having come, we read, "He that confesseth and forsaketh his sin shall find mercy." God accepts repentance for the sake of His dear Son. He smiles upon the penitent sinner, and puts away his iniquities. This we are to make known on all sides.

We are also to preach the motives of repentance — that men may not repent from mere fear of Hell, but they must repent of sin itself. Every thief is sorry when he has to go to prison: every murderer is sorry when the noose is about his neck: the sinner must repent, not because of the punishment of sin, but because his sin is sin against a pardoning God, sin against a bleeding Savior, sin against a holy Law, sin against a tender gospel. The true penitent repents of sin against God, and he would do so even if there were no punishment. When he is forgiven, he repents of sin more than ever; for he sees more clearly than ever the wickedness of offending so gracious a God.

We are to preach repentance in its perpetuity.
Repentance is not a grace which is only to be exercised by us for a week or so at the beginning of our Christian career: it is to attend us all the way to Heaven. Faith and repentance are to be inseparable companions throughout our pilgrimage to glory. Repenting of our sin, and trusting in the great Sinbearer, is to be the tenor of our lives; and we are to preach to men that it must be so.

We are to tell them of the source of repentance, namely, that the Lord Jesus Christ is exalted on high to give repentance and remission of sins. Repentance is a plant that never grows on nature’s dunghill: the nature must be changed, and repentance must be implanted by the Holy Spirit, or it will never flourish in our hearts. We preach repentance as a fruit of the Spirit, or else we greatly err."

2014/10/29 11:03Profile
Sidewalk

San Diego

Re:

--------------------------------------- quote. -------------------
We are to preach repentance in its perpetuity.
Repentance is not a grace which is only to be exercised by us for a week or so at the beginning of our Christian career: it is to attend us all the way to Heaven. Faith and repentance are to be inseparable companions throughout our pilgrimage to glory. Repenting of our sin, and trusting in the great Sinbearer, is to be the tenor of our lives; and we are to preach to men that it must be so.
---------------------------------------------------

Amen, and thank you Oracio!

Repentance is a character quality, I like that phrase that "faith and repentance are to be inseparable companions..."

Men of faith are repentant, aware of the lingering chains on their bodies of flesh, holding the promise of glory not yet apprehended. In short, they are willing to be confronted by both man and God, and to react with a humble spirit to trade in the marketplace of forgiveness and honor.

They are lovers of truth, and eager to root out from within themselves any traces of a wicked way.

2014/10/29 12:06Profile

More Spurgeon

I will try to show you how God brings sinners to repentance, for that will help you who are now seeking it. How, then, does the Lord lead men to repentance? According to this chapter, the first thing He does is, to change their nature—“I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you a heart of flesh.” This is regeneration—the change of nature. The heart of unimpressionable stone, naturally hard, is removed and a sensitive, impressionable heart is given—a fleshy heart, so that the man can feel. If you really want to repent, this is the message I have to deliver to you, “You must be born-again.” If I wish to grow olives, I must have an olive tree. “Can the fig tree bear olives?” “Do men gather grapes from thorns, or figs from thistles?” The thorn must be turned into a grapevine, and the thistle into a fig tree, if we are to get from them grapes and figs.

And, therefore, again I say to you that if you would bring forth repentance, you must be born-again. “Oh,” says one, “there is not much comfort in such teaching as that, for it drives us away from all hope.” That is exactly what I want to do with you! I want to convince you of the simple fact that there is no hope for you in and of yourselves! But that you must come and find all your hope, your regeneration and everything else in Jesus Christ, from whom alone it comes to all who trust Him. But how does God work repentance in the soul when He has renewed the nature? As we read the chapter, we noticed that He gave great mercy to the undeserving. So, then, if you wish to obtain repentance, the way to secure it, by the Grace of God, is through a consideration of the goodness of God to you. Think, dear Friends, of the many years that God has spared you and of the almost miraculous escapes which some of you have had. Think of how all the while you were provoking Him and going on from ill to ill and from one sin to another, yet, in His long-suffering, He bore with you and thus was leading you to repentance! Think of the fact that at this moment you are “not in torment, not in Hell,” but you are where the Gospel of God’s Grace is freely preached to you and where pardon may be bestowed upon you— where God is still dressed in the white robes of mercy and has not yet come in the scarlet robes of judgment! Oh, the goodness of God, to have spared a tree that has cumbered the ground so long—to have spared a rebel who has provoked Him so grievously! Such thoughts as these have a tendency to lead men to say, “I will sin no longer. I will love sin no longer because God has been so merciful to me.” But let me tell you that when God works repentance in the heart, He does more than this. He not only gives the man blessings, He also gives him forgiveness. And when the man sees that he is forgiven, he says, “What? Forgiven? Then how can I live any longer in sin? I hate my sin.” The Lord says to him, “You are My child. I will feed you, clothe you, and train you for My house above.” “Your child?” he exclaims, “a child of God after all that I have done?” And he begins to take vengeance on his sins and to drive them out of his heart, for how can we, who are the children of God, endure the presence of sin?

2014/10/29 17:09
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re: More Spurgeon

Quote:
I will try to show you how God brings sinners to repentance, for that will help you who are now seeking it. How, then, does the Lord lead men to repentance? According to this chapter, the first thing He does is, to change their nature—“I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you a heart of flesh.” This is regeneration—the change of nature. The heart of unimpressionable stone, naturally hard, is removed and a sensitive, impressionable heart is given—a fleshy heart, so that the man can feel. If you really want to repent, this is the message I have to deliver to you, “You must be born-again.” If I wish to grow olives, I must have an olive tree. “Can the fig tree bear olives?” “Do men gather grapes from thorns, or figs from thistles?” The thorn must be turned into a grapevine, and the thistle into a fig tree, if we are to get from them grapes and figs.

Thanks tuc! Overall I enjoyed your Spurgeon quote but had a minor disagreement with the portion I posted above. It has to do with certain finer points of theology and I don’t want to derail this thread onto another subject. But I feel I should mention that I believe repentance, faith, and regeneration all occur concurrently (not one before the other) when one is truly converted or saved. I felt I should mention that because I don’t want it to seem like there is a push of certain fine points of Calvinism on this thread because those kinds of side issues are not related to the OP. I believe repentance itself is related because the article shared in the OP seems to promote the kind of greasy grace message you hear from Joel Osteen and others like him.

2014/10/29 17:52Profile

Re: Joel Osteen

To be honest I do not listen or read any material from Joel Osteen or Joseph Prince at all and I even posted the article about greasy grace, but I thought that Gary's message had some very valuable points to consider.

2014/10/30 7:35

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy