SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : And so what exactly is Jesus building?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

And so what exactly is Jesus building?

Mathew 16:18
And I say that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.

So what exactly does Jesus Mean here? What is He building? What does He mean by the church?

Blaine Scogin

2014/10/19 14:07
savannah

Re: And so what exactly is Jesus building?...the bride, the Lamb's wife.

Come hither, I will shew thee the bride,the Lamb's wife.

And he carried me away in the spirit to a great and high mountain, and shewed me that great city, the holy Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God, Having the glory of God: and her light was like unto a stone most precious, even like a jasper stone, clear as crystal;

And had a wall great and high, and had twelve gates, and at the gates twelve angels, and names written thereon, which are the names of the twelve tribes of the children of Israel. Rev. 21:9-12

1 Cor. 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

1 Cor. 3:16,17 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.

Heb. 11:10 For he looked for a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God.

Heb. 11:16 But now they desire a better country, that is, an heavenly: wherefore God is not ashamed to be called their God: for he hath prepared for them a city.

Heb. 12:22 But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels,

1 Peter 2:5,9 Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ. But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light.

Rev. 3:12 Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.

Come hither, I will shew thee the bride, the Lamb's wife.

And he carried me away in the spirit to a great and high mountain, and shewed me that great city, the holy Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God, Having the glory of God: and her light was like unto a stone most precious, even like a jasper stone, clear as crystal;

And had a wall great and high, and had twelve gates, and at the gates twelve angels, and names written thereon, which are the names of the twelve tribes of the children of Israel:

On the east three gates; on the north three gates; on the south three gates; and on the west three gates. And the wall of the city had twelve foundations, and in them the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb. And he that talked with me had a golden reed to measure the city, and the gates thereof, and the wall thereof. And the city lieth foursquare, and the length is as large as the breadth: and he measured the city with the reed, twelve thousand furlongs. The length and the breadth and the height of it are equal. And he measured the wall thereof, an hundred and forty and four cubits, according to the measure of a man, that is, of the angel.And the building of the wall of it was of jasper: and the city was pure gold, like unto clear glass.

And the foundations of the wall of the city were garnished with all manner of precious stones. The first foundation was jasper; the second, sapphire; the third, a chalcedony; the fourth, an emerald; The fifth, sardonyx; the sixth, sardius; the seventh, chrysolite; the eighth, beryl; the ninth, a topaz; the tenth, a chrysoprasus; the eleventh, a jacinth; the twelfth, an amethyst. And the twelve gates were twelve pearls; every several gate was of one pearl: and the street of the city was pure gold, as it were transparent glass. And I saw no temple therein: for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are the temple of it.

And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof. And the nations of them which are saved shall walk in the light of it: and the kings of the earth do bring their glory and honour into it. And the gates of it shall not be shut at all by day: for there shall be no night there. And they shall bring the glory and honour of the nations into it. And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life. Rev.21:9-27

This is what He means, this is what He is building!

A people...His bride!

A family; Eph 3:15 Of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named.

For the purpose of being conformed into the image of Christ,Who is Holy,"that ye[we]should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you[us]out of darkness into his marvellous light."

But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation,a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light.

Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. Matthew 5:14

Great is the LORD, and greatly to be praised in the city of our God, in the mountain of his holiness. Beautiful for situation, the joy of the whole earth, is mount Zion, on the sides of the north, the city of the great King. Psalms 48:1,2

Psalms 72:18,19 Blessed be the LORD God, the God of Israel, who only doeth wondrous things. And blessed be his glorious name for ever: and let the whole earth be filled with his glory; Amen, and Amen.

2014/10/19 14:57Profile

Re:

So is Paul describing the church, the bride of Christ in the following verses....

So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints, and are of God's household, having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus himself being the cornerstone, in home the whole building, being fitted together, is growing into a holy temple in the Lord, and whom you also are being built together into a dwelling of God in the Spirit.....Eph.2:19-22

Blaine Scogin

2014/10/19 15:19
savannah

Re: Eph. 2:19-22

"So is Paul describing the church, the bride of Christ in the following verses...."

Yes he is!

God and His Christ have but one bride. He is certainly no polygamist!

2014/10/19 15:30Profile
savannah

Re: the church in the wilderness

I am the God of thy fathers, the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob. Then Moses trembled, and durst not behold...This is that Moses, which said unto the children of Israel, A prophet shall the Lord your God raise up unto you of your brethren, like unto me; him shall ye hear.This is he, that was in the church in the wilderness with the angel which spake to him in the mount Sina, and with our fathers: who received the lively oracles to give unto us. Acts 7:32,37,38

2014/10/19 15:59Profile

Re:

Savannah the church in the wilderness conveys a pilgrim church. A group of pilgrims who are passing through this world. A company if believers who eventually will find their ultimate rest in the heavenly Jerusalem.

Blaine

2014/10/19 17:24

Re:

The church in the wilderness will also bear the reproach of Christ as those believers seek the heavenly city.....

So, let us go out to Him outside the camp, baring his reproach. For here we do not have a lasting city but we are seeking for the city that is to come....Heb. 13:13-14

Would this be correct.

Blaine

2014/10/19 17:31
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

It is a blessing to read all the scriptures brethren are sharing here about the Church, His called out ones in the world. Though there is not one specific institution that represents the Church, there are many groups of brethren and meetings in local areas that represent the called out ones. In the Epistles it is clear that there are qualifications and callings for Elders, Deacons and Apostles and other leaders in the body of Christ.

All believers are pilgrims, I agree with that. Yet all are encouraged to gather together with other brethren in larger gatherings where Shepherds, Overseers, Elders etc are able to help strengthen all members of the body. If brethren are in a situation where they are scattered and not able to find that place then they should pray for the Lord to send them 1-2 others they can fellowship with.

Bearing the reproach is not against denominations or institutions of christianity but rather a calling for all believers to not love the world or those who follow in the world's ways.

2014/10/19 22:23Profile
Sidewalk

San Diego

Re: Building the body

Ever notice how the spleen and the toenail have so little in common...?

We better let Him build it. By comparison we are drunk, blindfolded, and trying to assemble a puzzle in a 90 mph wind...

2014/10/19 22:52Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

Quote:
Bearing the reproach is not against denominations or institutions of christianity but rather a calling for all believers to not love the world or those who follow in the world's ways.

Amen and amen. Regardless of what local church we belong to we are all called to go outside the camp(outside the evil world system in all it's different shades) and to bear His reproach just like the saints throughout history have done by faith in the one true and living God. Has nothing to do with leaving a church simply because of a certain type of structure.

2014/10/19 23:03Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy