SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : SermonIndex Announcements : Moderator Note: Change to Signatures on the discussion forums

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
mama27

Re:

I am a bit troubled by this discussion because I cannot use my first or last name on here. Those who know me personally will testify to the fact that I am a very transparent person, but I have included prayer requests here about family members that are private. For me to share my name would remove their privacy, and I cannot do that. I have personally emailed with a few here over the years when the email feature was available. If the nicknames are removed, I will have to no longer post. I don't mean to cause a problem for anyone. I hope you understand...

2014/10/31 22:02Profile
proudpapa

I am reminded of a discussion on child training in which I hold to the traditional view that is held by almost every preacher represented on SI that speaks on the subject. ((actually much less extreme than many of them))
But some where very offended by that view and one of the posters made many threats personaly to me.
They where intentionally written to ambiguously for anyone to understand what the posters true intents where.

All I know is that I was very thankful that I had not revealed more personal information than what I had.

Also I am reminded of an Incident in which a poster researched a sisters name digging up past writings of hers on other forums to harass her with.

2014/10/31 22:33Profile
hulsey

Missouri

Re:

Quote:
Question: Does this mean that I have to put my full name (first and last) on SermonIndex? No. If you put your name it is your choice, you can leave the first and last name blank and it will simply not show up. But we recommend saints edi their profile to at least put their first name.

If my understanding of the changes Greg is making is correct, the only thing that will change is the signature at the bottom of your posts. If you don't enter your name in your profile then it will never show up in your posts.

Instead of entering various quotes, websites, and email addresses, you will only be able to enter your name.

Blessings,

2014/10/31 22:41Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

It is not obligatory to do this as has been said. I understand if there may be some who are cautious about reavealing their true identity.
However I cannot see who putting for example Bob in New York State can reveal your identity. But it's up to you.

At least put a rough location such as state or Country if outside the USA and make your sign in name reveal your gender, like proudpapa and mama do.

I'm not looking to upset anyone, just saying I prefer it. There have been posters on here who want to give rebukes and counselling to others posters, but don't even reveal these basics. I find that a bit nieve and I can't take that seriously.

2014/10/31 23:34Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

I think that there is a legitimate risk when it comes to names and locations.

Case in point: My wife has a very unique name. In fact, we know of only one other person in the entire world who shares the same first and last (married) name as my wife (a girl from the U.K. who, along with her mother, actually found my wife's name and contact information and contacted her).

My wife used to use her first name in forums. She was also a school teacher at a public high school. One day, she began getting emails from a young man who apparently had a crush on her. He started sending strange letters from him -- more than a year after she transferred to a school in a different town more than a hundred miles away.

One day, the young man called our home. He had looked up her name online and found her information at her school's website. He emailed her at that email address, but my wife never checked that email address. So, this young man looked up her information in the online white pages (telephone directory). Sure enough, her number came up because it wasn't "unlisted." This young man continued to call even after we asked (and later told) him to stop.

That wasn't the end of it. He found my wife's name in an online sewing forum and continued to pursue her there. She had to speak with the administrator and ask to have her entire account closed.

While this may not be a big issue for "common" names (e.g., Peter, James, John, Michael, Chris, Greg, Dave, etc...), it can be a difficult thing for less common names. When coupled with a state or town (or, in some cases, a country), this might amount to too much information in terms of privacy -- especially for women.

Personally, I don't have a problem with a particular screen name. I can approach others by that screen name without feeling distracted. I am not responding to a name. I am responding to the person. After all, sometimes our names can change (Simon to Peter, Saul to Paul, etc...) to reflect the person -- rather than the other way around.

I don't have a problem with any requirement to list a gender. This might change (or challenge) the way that we approach others. After all, people might respect a woman or even an elder with more patience. However, the need to treat others with respect might be just as effective. Moreover, some names are (or sound) much more youthful than others. I read a list about certain "modern" names and how they can give away the age of a person.

I also am worried about those who live in countries that are closed to the Gospel (or countries that might become hostile to the Gospel). If someone lists their nation and name, it could make tracking that person down a bit easier. As more and more countries are targeting Christian teaching as "hate speech" (even in America -- as evidenced by those who targeted Chick-fil-A and Hobby Lobby and a Lesbian mayor's hostility toward pastors in Houston), such information can be a bit burdensome in certain circumstances.

As Brother hulsey stated, this thread is more about the signatures here at SermonIndex. I understand the issues and potential issues that can be associated with them. I don't have any problem with removing them and only showing a name or, if no name is given, a screen name or no name at all. However, I would urge much prayer and consideration before making changes that might compromise the privacy of members in this community.

2014/11/1 0:21Profile
Man0fG0d

Re:

I had notices that many posters had added their names on their signature. I hadnt read this or didn't know why. I will add mine as well.

2014/11/1 13:59Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

I am glad the moderators are placing people's real names on but do understand the reluctance of some like mama to not do so and hope the exceptions will be honored.

Yes, my name is Sandra Miller and if you were to google it you will find lots of us and have fun trying to find me! lol Seriously, I used to fear the persecution thing but have decided nothing will happen to me apart from the will of GOD. I am verbal regardless where I am; do not dress like a slut so I stick out like a sore thumb in the public because of my attire. I am depending on God's protection and what happens will be something that passed his approval. Might be hard to swallow if it gets real bad...well, one lives one day/moment at a time. God is good, no, he is perfect, no - that is inadequate - can't describe God...

Sandra

2014/11/1 19:39Profile
hulsey

Missouri

Re:

Having worked as an insurance adjuster and now a real estate agent I can say that it is unsettling how much information there is on public record that you can find out about someone. There are justifiable reasons to not want your name associated with your profile.

2014/11/1 21:08Profile
davidkeel

West Sussex, England

Re:

Greg said:
Question: Does this mean that I have to put my full name (first and last) on SermonIndex? No. If you put your name it is your choice, you can leave the first and last name blank and it will simply not show up. But we recommend saints edi their profile to at least put their first name.

2014/11/2 6:38Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy