SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : SermonIndex Announcements : Moderator Note: Change to Signatures on the discussion forums

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
hulsey

Missouri

Re:

Question:

Greg, can you modify the code so that it can look how my signature below currently looks? (Very simple)

Sometime ago I just added a very simple word before my name: Blessings. I realized this word was going to appear EVERY time I posted on SI and it reminded me to make the content of my posts reflect my signature.

2014/10/8 16:44Profile
leftbehind

Re: Overdoing Suspicion?

True article: Suspicion is truly the death of fellowship. IT is truly a snare. Some people regard silence with suspicion and make silence a crime. PEOPLE ARE MORE OUT TO GET GOD NOT US.

THE BIBLE ILLUSTRATOR: The superstitious man, viewing God through the false perspectives of fear and suspicion, loses sight of His goodness, and sees only a dreadful spectre made up of anger and revenge. Hence religion becomes his torment.

We can't be naive either. This is a matter of overdoing these thoughts or overdoing suspicion. BIBLE ILLUSTRATOR: "Suspicion makes him doubt everything be hears and distrust every man he converses with. An extremity of suspicion in an inquirer after truth is like a raging jealousy in a husband or a friend ; it leads a man to turn all his thoughts towards the ill-natured side, and to put the worst construction upon everything.

Oh, I would not want to make you over-suspicious in the days of your success ; but I want you to understand right well there is a vast difference between the popularity of Timon the prosperous and Timon the unfortunate. I want you to know there is a vast difference in the number of people who admire a man when he is going up and the number of people who admire him when he is going down. (T. De Witt Talmage.)

There's holy suspicion of the devil and his devilish minions.Charles Spurgeon quotes Taylor: "3. Consider whether thou daily renewest thy purpose of not sinning against God, as thou renewest thy days, and whether thou watchest over thine own heart with an holy suspicion, and wilt for God’s will break thine own."

John Willison (1680-1750): A.6. Let us watch over our hearts and frames with much holy suspicion and jealousy lest Satan, the world, or our lusts should rob us of the spiritual treasure we have gotten. And especially let us watch against the first declining of the heart and beginning of deadness, and presently cry to the Lord for help and quickening. A.7. Let us be much in secret prayer, pleading with God for the constant supplies of His Spirit, which are the fire that alone only maintain warmness and liveliness of frame in our souls against all the cold blasts of the devil and the world.

THE BIBLICAL ILLUSTRATOR: Expect subtilty in those who would tempt you astray. Here the word takes its bad form, as crafty, designing, making good appearance in order to deceive ; keep-ing back part of the truth, and so leaving a designedly false impression. See temptation of Eve. There is a good "suspiciousness," which is a safeguard.

4. Those also who are strangers. Alas ! such is the moral condition of man that we must live in this world in a state of constant suspicion. It was by listening to a stranger that our first mother was deceived ; and in the same way was the man of God, who had been sent from Judah to denounce the wrath of Jehovah against Jeroboam and his idolatrous altar at Bethel, betrayed into an act of fatal disobedience, n. The nature of the enticements against which the tounq are here WARNED. 1. Sinners will entice them by their example. 2. Sinners will entice them by holding out false hopes and representations of enjoyment in the courses to which they allure them. 3. By misrepresenting or denying the truth of God. 4. By ridiculing their moral fears. 5. By appealing to the multitudes. We naturally hate singularity, and in nothing so much as in religion. 6. By flattering kindness and attention. 7. By pretensions to religion.

BIBLE ILLUSTRATOR
1. It is only with their own consent that the
young can be led astray. The guilt as well as the bitter consequences of their yielding to sin will rest with themselves. 2. To be ready to refuse their consent to the enticements of sinners, their hearts must be well established in regard to both the ways of sin and the ways of righteousness. 3. The young are to cherish in their minds a suspicion and terror of all who would entice them to sin. 4. Let them carry about with them habitually a fear of God and a sense of His presence.

BIBLE ILLUSTRATOR: So do all conditions, all actions, and all persons. Therefore we need to keep a constant watch, since we are not secure in any place, time, or condition. Then suspect all things with a holy suspicion.

BIBLE ILLUSTRATOR: " The simple." The simple man is he who is more or less unsophisticated in mind, and untainted by crime. One who is inexperienced, unsuspicious, too confiding, and impressible.

CHARLES SPURGEON: Observe, 4. The disciples sorrow uponn these words of Christ, and the effect of that sorrow. Their sorrow was (as well it might be) exceeding great; well might innocent disciples be overwhelmed with sorrow, to hear that their Master should die, that he should die by treason, that the traitor should be one of themselves. But though their sorrow was great, yet was the effect of their sorrow very good, it wrought in them an holy suspicion of themselves, and caused every one to search himself, and say, Master, Is it I?

PERSECUTION IS ABOUT JESUS (though being Christlike can incite hatred)

John 15:18 - If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before [it hated] you.

Matthew 5:44 - But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

1 Peter 3:16 - Having a good conscience; that, whereas they speak evil of you, as of evildoers, they may be ashamed that falsely accuse your good conversation in Christ.

1 Peter 3:17 - For [it is] better, if the will of God be so, that ye suffer for well doing, than for evil doing.

Philippians 1:12-14 - But I would ye should understand, brethren, that the things [which happened] unto me have fallen out rather unto the furtherance of the gospel; (Read More...)

Hebrews 12:3 - For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds.

1 John 3:13 - Marvel not, my brethren, if the world hate you.

Luke 6:22 - Blessed are ye, when men shall hate you, and when they shall separate you [from their company], and shall reproach [you], and cast out your name as evil, for the Son of man's sake.

1 Peter 3:14 - But and if ye suffer for righteousness' sake, happy [are ye]: and be not afraid of their terror, neither be troubled;

2 Timothy 3:12 - Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.

1 Peter 4:19 - Wherefore let them that suffer according to the will of God commit the keeping of their souls [to him] in well doing, as unto a faithful Creator.

1 Peter 4:12-14 - Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you: (Read More...)

Jeremiah 15:10 - Woe is me, my mother, that thou hast borne me a man of strife and a man of contention to the whole earth! I have neither lent on usury, nor men have lent to me on usury; [yet] every one of them doth curse me.

2 Timothy 3:10 - But thou hast fully known my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, charity, patience,

Romans 8:35-37 - Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? [shall] tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? (Read More...)

Matthew 23:35 - That upon you may come all the righteous blood shed upon the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel unto the blood of Zacharias son of Barachias, whom ye slew between the temple and the altar.

Revelation 20:4 - And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and [I saw] the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received [his] mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.

1 John 3:1 - Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.

Acts 8:1 - And Saul was consenting unto his death. And at that time there was a great persecution against the church which was at Jerusalem; and they were all scattered abroad throughout the regions of Judaea and Samaria, except the apostles.

Matthew 20:22 - But Jesus answered and said, Ye know not what ye ask. Are ye able to drink of the cup that I shall drink of, and to be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with? They say unto him, We are able.

Proverbs 29:27 - An unjust man [is] an abomination to the just: and [he that is] upright in the way [is] abomination to the wicked.

Revelation 6:9-11 - And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held: (Read More...)

Revelation 2:13 - I know thy works, and where thou dwellest, [even] where Satan's seat [is]: and thou holdest fast my name, and hast not denied my faith, even in those days wherein Antipas [was] my faithful martyr, who was slain among you, where Satan dwelleth.

Revelation 2:10 - Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast [some] of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life.

1 Peter 4:16 - Yet if [any man suffer] as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on this behalf.

1 Peter 4:4 - Wherein they think it strange that ye run not with [them] to the same excess of riot, speaking evil of [you]:

1 Peter 4:1 - Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin;

2 Timothy 3:2 - For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,

2 Corinthians 4:8-12 - [We are] troubled on every side, yet not distressed; [we are] perplexed, but not in despair; (Read More...)

Acts 8:4 - Therefore they that were scattered abroad went every where preaching the word.

Acts 7:52 - Which of the prophets have not your fathers persecuted? and they have slain them which shewed before of the coming of the Just One; of whom ye have been now the betrayers and murderers:

Revelation 7:13-17 - And one of the elders answered, saying unto me, What are these which are arrayed in white robes? and whence came they? (Read More...)

Hebrews 13:23 - Know ye that [our] brother Timothy is set at liberty; with whom, if he come shortly, I will see you.

Hebrews 11:25-27 - Choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God, than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season; (Read More...)

2 Timothy 4:17 - Notwithstanding the Lord stood with me, and strengthened me; that by me the preaching might be fully known, and [that] all the Gentiles might hear: and I was delivered out of the mouth of the lion.

1 Corinthians 13:3 - And though I bestow all my goods to feed [the poor], and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

Romans 8:17 - And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with [him], that we may be also glorified together.

John 8:52 - Then said the Jews unto him, Now we know that thou hast a devil. Abraham is dead, and the prophets; and thou sayest, If a man keep my saying, he shall never taste of death.

Matthew 26:59 - Now the chief priests, and elders, and all the council, sought false witness against Jesus, to put him to death;

Revelation 2:8-10 - And unto the angel of the church in Smyrna write; These things saith the first and the last, which was dead, and is alive; (Read More...)

Revelation 2:3 - And hast borne, and hast patience, and for my name's sake hast laboured, and hast not fainted.

Revelation 1:9 - I John, who also am your brother, and companion in tribulation, and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was in the isle that is called Patmos, for the word of God, and for the testimony of Jesus Christ.

James 5:10 - Take, my brethren, the prophets, who have spoken in the name of the Lord, for an example of suffering affliction, and of patience.

James 5:6 - Ye have condemned [and] killed the just; [and] he doth not resist you.

James 2:6 - But ye have despised the poor. Do not rich men oppress you, and draw you before the judgment seats?

Hebrews 13:13 - Let us go forth therefore unto him without the camp, bearing his reproach.

Hebrews 12:4 - Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin.

Hebrews 12:2 - Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of [our] faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Hebrews 11:33-38 - Who through faith subdued kingdoms, wrought righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions, (Read More...)

Hebrews 10:32-34 - But call to remembrance the former days, in which, after ye were illuminated, ye endured a great fight of afflictions; (Read More...)

2 Timothy 4:16 - At my first answer no man stood with me, but all [men] forsook me: [I pray God] that it may not be laid to their charge.

2 Timothy 3:3 - Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,

2 Timothy 2:9-12 - Wherein I suffer trouble, as an evil doer, [even] unto bonds; but the word of God is not bound. (Read More...)

2 Timothy 1:12 - For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.

2 Timothy 1:8 - Be not thou therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me his prisoner: but be thou partaker of the afflictions of the gospel according to the power of God;

2 Thessalonians 1:4 - So that we ourselves glory in you in the churches of God for your patience and faith in all your persecutions and tribulations that ye endure:

1 Thessalonians 2:15 - Who both killed the Lord Jesus, and their own prophets, and have persecuted us; and they please not God, and are contrary to all men:

1 Thessalonians 2:14 - For ye, brethren, became followers of the churches of God which in Judaea are in Christ Jesus: for ye also have suffered like things of your own countrymen, even as they [have] of the Jews:

1 Thessalonians 2:2 - But even after that we had suffered before, and were shamefully entreated, as ye know, at Philippi, we were bold in our God to speak unto you the gospel of God with much contention.

Colossians 1:24 - Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up that which is behind of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for his body's sake, which is the church:

Philippians 1:29 - For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake;

Philippians 1:28 - And in nothing terrified by your adversaries: which is to them an evident token of perdition, but to you of salvation, and that of God.

Galatians 4:29 - But as then he that was born after the flesh persecuted him [that was born] after the Spirit, even so [it is] now.

Galatians 1:13 - For ye have heard of my conversation in time past in the Jews' religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and wasted it:

2 Corinthians 12:10 - Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

2 Corinthians 11:23-27 - Are they ministers of Christ? (I speak as a fool) I [am] more; in labours more abundant, in stripes above measure, in prisons more frequent, in deaths oft. (Read More...)

2 Corinthians 6:8-10 - By honour and dishonour, by evil report and good report: as deceivers, and [yet] true; (Read More...)

2 Corinthians 6:5 - In stripes, in imprisonments, in tumults, in labours, in watchings, in fastings;

2 Corinthians 6:4 - But in all [things] approving ourselves as the ministers of God, in much patience, in afflictions, in necessities, in distresses,

Acts 28:22 - But we desire to hear of thee what thou thinkest: for as concerning this sect, we know that every where it is spoken against.

Acts 13:27-29 - For they that dwell at Jerusalem, and their rulers, because they knew him not, nor yet the voices of the prophets which are read every sabbath day, they have fulfilled [them] in condemning [him]. (Read More...)

Acts 12:2 - And he killed James the brother of John with the sword.

Acts 12:1-19 - Now about that time Herod the king stretched forth [his] hands to vex certain of the church. (Read More...)

Acts 11:19-21 - Now they which were scattered abroad upon the persecution that arose about Stephen travelled as far as Phenice, and Cyprus, and Antioch, preaching the word to none but unto the Jews only. (Read More...)

Acts 9:1-14 - And Saul, yet breathing out threatenings and slaughter against the disciples of the Lord, went unto the high priest, (Read More...)

Acts 6:9-15 - Then there arose certain of the synagogue, which is called [the synagogue] of the Libertines, and Cyrenians, and Alexandrians, and of them of Cilicia and of Asia, disputing with Stephen. (Read More...)

Acts 6:7 - And the word of God increased; and the number of the disciples multiplied in Jerusalem greatly; and a great company of the priests were obedient to the faith.

Acts 5:40-42 - And to him they agreed: and when they had called the apostles, and beaten [them], they commanded that they should not speak in the name of Jesus, and let them go. (Read More...)

Acts 5:29 - Then Peter and the [other] apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.

Acts 5:18-42 - And laid their hands on the apostles, and put them in the common prison. (Read More...)

Acts 4:27 - For of a truth against thy holy child Jesus, whom thou hast anointed, both Herod, and Pontius Pilate, with the Gentiles, and the people of Israel, were gathered together,

Acts 4:16-20 - Saying, What shall we do to these men? for that indeed a notable miracle hath been done by them [is] manifest to all them that dwell in Jerusalem; and we cannot deny [it]. (Read More...)

Acts 4:3-18 - And they laid hands on them, and put [them] in hold unto the next day: for it was now eventide. (Read More...)

Acts 3:13-15 - The God of Abraham, and of Isaac, and of Jacob, the God of our fathers, hath glorified his Son Jesus; whom ye delivered up, and denied him in the presence of Pilate, when he was determined to let [him] go. (Read More...)

Acts 2:23 - Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain:

John 20:19 - Then the same day at evening, being the first [day] of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst, and saith unto them, Peace [be] unto you.

John 19:15 - But they cried out, Away with [him], away with [him], crucify him. Pilate saith unto them, Shall I crucify your King? The chief priests answered, We have no king but Caesar.

John 19:6 - When the chief priests therefore and officers saw him, they cried out, saying, Crucify [him], crucify [him]. Pilate saith unto them, Take ye him, and crucify [him]: for I find no fault in him.

John 18:30 - They answered and said unto him, If he were not a malefactor, we would not have delivered him up unto thee.

John 18:29 - Pilate then went out unto them, and said, What accusation bring ye against this man?

John 18:23 - Jesus answered him, If I have spoken evil, bear witness of the evil: but if well, why smitest thou me?

John 18:22 - And when he had thus spoken, one of the officers which stood by struck Jesus with the palm of his hand, saying, Answerest thou the high priest so?

John 17:14 - I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.

John 16:2 - They shall put you out of the synagogues: yea, the time cometh, that whosoever killeth you will think that he doeth God service.

John 16:1 - These things have I spoken unto you, that ye should not be offended.

John 15:25 - But [this cometh to pass], that the word might be fulfilled that is written in their law, They hated me without a cause.

John 15:21 - But all these things will they do unto you for my name's sake, because they know not him that sent me.

John 15:20 - Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also.

John 15:19 - If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.

John 14:30 - Hereafter I will not talk much with you: for the prince of this world cometh, and hath nothing in me.

Interesting article overall :)

2014/10/8 17:59Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re: Moderator Note: Change to Signatures on the discussion forums

The OP feels like a gradual tightening grip of a forum that wants total control of everything of a poster in the name of God or in the name of decency somehow. If you are going to seemingly take things away from a profile why have a profile period? Name please and that is all..........how has a blog on a profile been abused?

What is the exact goal of all of this? You can use scripture to justify things but does that make this forum a holy thing as a result? NO, this forum is a group of people sharing, and discussing things around the topic of Christianity. It seems to me that if this forum is having behavior issues then it is attracting wrong crowds or it is becoming a cult of ultra fundamentalism.

Just my opinion
John, my real name.

2014/10/8 18:08Profile
MaryJane

Re:

Greetings

I am praying about this latest change honestly. As far as giving out my full name, no way not going to happen. I agree with Lisa two hundred percent. Females especially should not be giving out personal info on any public forum and it has nothing to do with fellowship, or faith, or trusting the LORD. Its just using good wisdom.

God Bless
mj

2014/10/8 18:30Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
The OP feels like a gradual tightening grip of a forum that wants total control of everything of a poster in the name of God or in the name of decency somehow. If you are going to seemingly take things away from a profile why have a profile period? Name please and that is all..........how has a blog on a profile been abused?

John, Thank you for your honest comments and reaction in regards to this change to the signatures in the forums. There have been many steps over the 12 years to take away features from the forums that we felt were not necessary to begin with and these were taken away also because of very good reasoning as usage of them increased. For instance:

Pictures - the ability to post direct pictures was taken away because it was very hard to protect against questionable images, including ONCE pornographic pictures where posted. By God's grace we were able to react very quickly and settle that issue.

Colours and formatting - we took away formatting for the simple reason it was not necessary, we would have done this very early on but we did not have the technical knowledge to do so easily. Some posts were very hard to read because of exaggerated bolding, italics and many colours being used.

Messaging - We felt for practical liability reasons primarily we took down the messaging system and felt people would be more accountable to their private messaging on their emails and there were also constant complaints of non-charitable private messages being sent so those who did not want to put an email on their profile avoided therefore this problem.

We have also added features such as url linking to ensure saints can share links easily in their posts.

Lastly, it is privilege to be able to post on a website with all the most godly preachers from the past century and beyond, it is amazing that we are added our words with theirs in a website that is a testimony of the Gospel to the world, angels and other believers. Moderators are continuing to do their best to ensure the discussions stay on track and rarely are strong opinions of moderators exhibited as the "rule" rather there is allowance for saints to charitably discuss and share.

Discussion forums where there is not moderation or good ones at that allow for anything and therefore the forums turn into quite a bad testimony for the Lord at times. I have seen other forums of this type. We trust in the Lord to allow the discussions here to be profitable for the gospel and His kingdom.

Quote:
I am praying about this latest change honestly. As far as giving out my full name, no way not going to happen. I agree with Lisa two hundred percent. Females especially should not be giving out personal info on any public forum and it has nothing to do with fellowship, or faith, or trusting the LORD. Its just using good wisdom.

As a sister it does sound wise to be more careful, though a first name should not be a major problem for some sisters. Many saints on SI use facebook and other social media accounts to discuss about and share the things of the Lord so it should not be a hard thing for some believers to do. Again, it is NOT required to add your name, this is simply a feature that has been requested by some.

2014/10/8 19:17Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

The forum is being whittled slowly down to what? Just a persons name so why not take everything in the profile, behind the scenes, off? I get the impression that this forum is going to implode because even the most basic 'right' will be taken away and this forum may close and be only open to just listening to sermons in the end. That is the track record I am slowly seeing.

Somehow I feel as if I am coming to an independent fundamentalist baptist church online. They are fun to watch, to a point, but pointless and joyless to engage in because those congregations only want to point the finger and make sure you are in line with them otherwise it is bye bye for you. God is on the sidelines and in their voices but often times the heart is far from anything to do with God.

Why choke the life out of this forum? Soon I may be standing at my computer with black flowers giving a eulogy to this forum and praying for a resurrection to life.

John

2014/10/8 21:11Profile
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Re:

I love y'all.

This reaction is a bit melodramatic is it not?

I mean this is not SI Anonymous. "i'm Tim and I am a pseudonym a holic." Really?

I understand the preference for screen names. I share it. But, this? Really?

Well. Ok. Have at it I suppose.

2014/10/8 22:24Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

This is making an option for saints to be able to still just have the username and not use a real name at all or have the username and use a real name either the first name or both first and last.

I am sorry you feel so strongly about this John, we trust the forums will still be useful to saints for encouragement and fellowship in our walks with the Lord.

2014/10/8 22:35Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

Totally understand the decision not to allow websites or blogs on signatures, and to encourage saints to at least reveal their first name. Good move imo.

Blessings,
Oracio

2014/10/8 22:46Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

I just wanted to say how positive I think this change has been for those who have added at least a basic name and location. It helps in relating to those who you are discussing with.
I would like to encourage those who do not have anything in their profile to at least add a general location and first name. It really helps to at least know what part of the world you are in and if yiu are male ot female.

2014/10/31 17:44Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy