SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Mountains and the age of the Earth

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
TMK

NC, USA

Mountains and the age of the Earth

The Rockies and the Himalayas are sharp jagged mountains. The Appalachians are rounded and smooth.

Traditional geology says this is because the Rockies are much younger than the Appalachians and are therefore not as eroded.

How is this explained from a young earth perspective? Did the Rockies and Himalayas form after the flood? If so when were Appalachians formed and why do they look different? We know there were mountains at the time of the flood. If the earth is only 6000 years old how could the mountains have been eroded? The Great Pyramid is 4500 years old and still pointy.

I checked ken hams site and creation.com and could not find a succinct answer to this question.

2014/9/30 15:00Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re: Mountains and the age of the Earth

I am told that the very same Appalachians mountains over here in Scotland, our mountains were eroded in the ice age under 3 miles of ice..

Something I see in Genesis is from Gen 1 to Gen 2-3 God creates the earth.

Then from Gen 2-5 he has to do some of it all over again...

Thats about as useful I can be on this subject...

2014/9/30 18:23Profile
staff

Re: Mountains and the age of the Earth

Hi TMK
I think if you email Grady MCMurtry of www.creationworldview.org that he would give you a precise answer on this individual point.I hear him on tv and he seems to find the time to answer the individual.
When I look at the debate myself the overiding issue is that Jesus could not be saviour if sin and death had entered the earth before Adam.
On a personal note I noticed by the Holy Spirit I believe was this
Adam was created on the sixth day but later on in Genesis it says' All the days of Adam were ......
All the days were counted by the writer of Genesis in terms of years,actual jewish years.From this I know that the writer
1.included day six and seven in the term "all"because in the bible all always means all.
2.if the sixth and seventh day of the week of creation are literal the 1 to 5 must be literal as well
Yours Staff

2014/9/30 19:17Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Staff-- why must it refer to physical death-- why can't it be just spiritual death.

2014/9/30 19:26Profile
hulsey

Missouri

Re:

you might find this video interesting:

http://youtu.be/cKsEPVDbymc

2014/9/30 23:48Profile
staff

Re:

Hi TMK
could you ask that question in a different way?Im a bit slow on the uptake Staff

2014/10/1 5:56Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Hi Staff-

Yes I was a tad terse in my comment. You said your big objection to an old earth is that you cannot see how sin and death had entered the earth before Adam.

My response is that it is spiritual death, and not physical, that Paul was talking about when he said that "death came through one man- Adam." After all, God warned Adam that on the day he ate from the wrong tree he would surely die; but he obviously did not die physically that very day- he died spiritually. Of course physical death was also a result- but not the pre-eminent result. If there were no humans prior to Adam (but just stuff like dinosaurs) there would have been no sinning therefore no spiritual death therefore no need for a savior-- yet.

I keep throwing out topics like this because I am trying to be more open to a "young earth" paradigm but it is very difficult. So I appreciate all your responses and they give food for thought.

But the thing about the Great Pyramid is mysterious to me, since it is almost as old as the earth (per young earthers) but is pretty remarkably preserved.

Maybe someone can answer this one off the top of their head-- per a young earth paradigm how long after Day 1 of creation was the great flood? I presume that the pyramid was built after the flood but it couldn't have been much after.

2014/10/1 6:22Profile
staff

Re:

Hi TMK,
I think it is not possible to say that it was not physical death because the moment he ate the fruit from the wrong tree his body began to decay and cells began to die.
It could be said that it not possible to die Spiritually even though we have to be born spiritually.
Also Man and animals were made on the same day.
If Adam didnt bring death and sin into the earth why do animals die?
Another question that is important is why do christians argue other than a literal 7 day creation week?
The answer must be in my opinion that they want to marry up evolution in some way with word of God.
Yours Staff

2014/10/1 17:41Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

No staff--

I absolutely do not believe in evolution- nor does Hugh Ross who is probably the most prominent Christian ancient earth proponent. I don't care if the earth is 20 billion years old- evolution is still not true. I do think, however that that is why some Christians are afraid to consider an ancient earth, because they feel it opens the door for evolution. Nothing could be further from the truth.

The reason that Christians (like me) have a hard time with a 6000 year old earth is because there is so much abundant evidence against it and I have a very hard time accepting that all that evidence is somehow biased for insidious reasons. I am not saying that there are not two sides to the issue. I obviously understand that.

I do believe that part of the curse (for humans) was physical death. But I also believe they died spiritually. Not sure what that means exactly but scripture seems to bear it out ("you were dead in your trespasses and sins").

Since at this point I do believe that animals lived and died prior to the fall, I don't think that aspect of the curse applied to animals. I do however believe they were subjected to the curse in other ways (like getting killed for clothing).

2014/10/1 18:16Profile
staff

Re:

Hi TMK,
How old do you think the earth is then?
Animals were made the same day as Man so how could they die before Man except if a day is not a day but later in Genesis we see that the writer is including day six and seven in the age of Adam.
Even if they died what was the purpose of their death? and also God saw that it was "good" which is hard to believe if they could die.
When you take out fossils as evidence there is not much else that cant be accounted for.
When asked Fossils are as old as the rocks and rocks are as old as fossils but no dating mechanism is anyway accurate.
Your position altough not believing in Evolution it is a stepping stone that allows others to take a step or two further towards evolution.Also if some Christians are not trying to marry up with Evolution they are trying to Marry up with what the people of the Earth currently believe so as not to look crazy.But our faith is crazy in the eyes of the world but its power is in how radical it is.Thats why we find it so hard to follow because it is so removed from what the world says.Yours Staff

2014/10/2 10:59Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy