SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : I did not come to save the righteous...

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
TMK

NC, USA

I did not come to save the righteous...

A familiar passage is "that there is none who are righteous, no not one".

Then Jesus said he came to save sinners not the righteous.

So, who were the righteous?

2014/9/28 12:14Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: I did not come to save the righteous...

Those who don't think that they are sinners in need of a Savior.

In Christ,

Ron

2014/9/28 12:19Profile
onemite

Even Paul referred to himself as "chief of sinners."
None are righteous, but the humble sinner who acknowledges his need of a savior will be credited to him righteousness through faith in Christ (Phil 3:9).

2014/9/28 12:48Profile
Sidewalk

San Diego

Re:

Interesting words of Jesus, "if I had not come and done among them the works that no one else had done, they would not have sin. But now they have hated both Me and My Father." John 15:24

He holds out that the potential for righteousness is always there, that those who sin do so willingly. (My opinion, not everyone agrees!)

2014/9/28 16:01Profile
Elibeth

TMK,
We were all sinners before we came to The Lord.

But The Lord planted His Seed,..The Word,..within our heart,and it began to grow.Where before,we only had 'our word,...our will,...our old dirty,..raged,
garments.

An entrance has been made for us,through His precious Blood,
to cleanse us ,...to unclothe us, so that He might clothe upon us in his righteous, Way...

His Word,...Will,..through The Power of His Spirit.He gives us ears to hear what The Spirit (Draws) us to do away with in our old lives,in order that we might go in the Way of righteousness,...His leading.( Grace)

Lovingly,

elizabeth

1Jn.3:7,.."Little children,let no man deceive you;he that doeth righteousness,is righteous,even as He is righteous. "

2014/9/28 20:55Profile
Elibeth

Re:

Sidewalk,
That is a very interesting verse of Scripture that you have given.

"If I had not come and done among them the works,"....

Didn't Jesus say, It is The Father did the works in Him, by Jesus being willing to be led by The Spirit of The Father .The Father wants to do the works in us,..as we also are led.

Thoughts,
elizabeth

2014/9/28 21:10Profile
Sidewalk

San Diego

Re:

One of Jesus' often spoken phrases was, "He that hath an ear to hear let him hear." By this He implies that some will hear things and receive them inside, others will only hear the words but will not respond to it. It is in the same spirit that He says He comes to call on sinners, there will always be those who do not acknowledge their sin.

Professional counsellors see this all the time. "I don't need any help, the other person does!" Gracious Jesus does not force Himself on anyone who doesn't want Him, so His words are rooted in the choice of grace He offers, not in the presumption that some are floating around with no sin on their accounts.

All have sinned and come short of the glory of God, but not all are willing to follow the path of repentance that leads to the glory of God.

The words of the Savior are right, just, and completely free to be ignored... for a while. In the end, every knee will bow.

2014/9/29 0:32Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

so when Jesus said he came to save sinners, not the righteous, the righteous were simply sinners who were aware of their state?

I guess the verse would make more sense to me if it read "self-righteous" instead of just righteous.

I think a lot of people (most) think that the verse means that Jesus did not come to save those who are already saved (i.e., righteous) but it is not clear that anyone was actually "saved" as we use that term when Jesus spoke those words.

2014/9/29 6:19Profile
Lordoitagain

Monroe, LA - USA

Re:

The title of this thread is misleading: “ I did not come to save the righteous...”

If we discuss the issues as they really stand, we get a different discussion altogether. If we take what the Bible says and not a reconstructed version of it, we get a clear picture that leaves no room for any confusion:

Mat 9:13 But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

Mar 2:17 When Jesus heard it, he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

Luc 5:32 I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

He came to call sinners to repentance:
G3341
μετάνοια
metanoia
met-an'-oy-ah
From G3340; (subjectively) compunction (for guilt, including reformation); by implication reversal (of [another’s] decision): - repentance.

When true repentance happens, the rest of God’s promises open up to the person, and the state of wickedness is changed to this:

1Thes 5:23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
1Thes 5:24 Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it.

THANK GOD FOR HIS FAITHFUL PROMISES!!!

2Co 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Jesus calls sinners to repentance. There can be no salvation without repentance. When true repentance happens the very idea of offending God's love for us is such a repulsion that we automatically reject the temptation to be so brutal and ungrateful!!!

If a person is still a pig at heart, he keeps wallowing in in the filth of sin. If Jesus is living in a person's heart ... Jesus doesn't wallow!

2014/9/29 10:38Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I am not sure if it clears up the confusion.

It is still not clear who Jesus meant by "the righteous."

2014/9/29 12:18Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy