SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : What Is the Baptism of the Holy Spirit?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

What Is the Baptism of the Holy Spirit?

What is the baptism of the Holy Spirit? Is it a second experience in one`s walk with Christ?

Bear

2014/9/20 23:51
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re: What Is the Baptism of the Holy Spirit?

What is regeneration? Is it being baptised into Christ?

What does it mean to put on Christ? It the same as being baptised into Christ?

Is the putting on Christ the same as the receiving of the Gifts of the Spirit?

Is the Baptism of the Holy Spirit, a putting on of Christ, or is it receiving of the Gifts of the Spirit or is it regeneration?

Can we be regenerated, operate in the gifts of the Spirit and yet be carnal and ruled by earthly fleshy lusts?

I think the question should be is there 3 distinct works of the Spirit.

1. Regeneration - Born Again
2. Gifts of the Spirit
3. Holiness - the cleansing of the Heart - the putting on of Christ

Sorry for adding so much questions, but these are the questions that challenge my thinking....

2014/9/21 0:25Profile

Yes brother, I believe that the Baptism of the Holy Spirit as described in the book of Acts is the enduement with power from on high that is for all believers to receive after they are saved. This can happen at the same time as salvation but that is rare.

2014/9/21 1:26

Quote:
What is the baptism of the Holy Spirit? Is it a second experience in one`s walk with Christ?

If we stick to scripture rather than to our own imaginations which have come from experiences we have had, which may or not be from the Holy Spirit of God, we will see that there were three distinct phases in the lives of the disciples/apostles.

The first was when they were called and decided to follow Christ. However, although their spirits were willing their flesh was weak. Like Peter, I imagine they were enthusiastic at times, but they had a great weight on them which prevented them from being effective in the kingdom. They argued, and were not of one accord. They had problems understanding the things that Jesus told them and quickly lost their trust when things got really bad. Some further work was needed in them as persecution requires a man to be victor in the spiritual warfare and not lose his courage.

The second took place after the death of Jesus, after they had seen exactly what was inside of themselves and saw in stark clear light what they lacked (oh wretched man that I am!) and how they failed at the point of a true disciple who would never desert his leader. A soldier who acted like the disciples would have been severely punished had he left his post as they.

He appeared to them and we can imagine their thoughts and the guilt and sorrow which they felt. However, He was merciful and breathed on them the Holy Spirit which had an astounding effect - they lost their fear and became of one accord. This phase is known in traditional spirituality as Illumination. Suddenly all was made clear to them, and they now operated from the Spirit and not the flesh and they continued rejoicing in obedience to their Master gathering in a public place to wait for the promise, promised since the beginning of time, when God would unite them to Himself when the Holy Spirit was poured out on them.

If we have the Holy Spirit poured out onto us then we are made holy and are one with God, born again, regenerated and made into just and entirely sanctified men. We are given a pure heart and able to do the work of the apostles, having received the gifts of the Spirit and the fruit, and perform the miracle of bringing the conviction of sin from the Holy Spirit to believers who are still in the earlier stages and this is when revival arrives. There is no revival of the right sort, rather than enthusiasms without men like this and no true union with the Divine.

2014/9/21 3:40
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

1 Corinthians 12:3 Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.

Which comes first Jesus is Lord or the Holy Spirit revealing Jesus is Lord. Salvation is the whole bucket, The Spirit of Christ birthed in us of the incorruptible Seed of the Father, The Holy Spirit baptized in us by the Christ that is birthed in us, which John plainly stated, That He, Jesus Christ will baptize you with and in the Holy Spirit in the believer.

I cannot be saved unless I believe that Jesus is Lord, which takes the Holy Spirit, so I must get the whole bucket of salvation at the same time,being born again and become a new creation, an new creature, a new creation race of Gods children, sons of God, by the Son of God birthed in me. This was Gods
intention even before Adam was created. SONs of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

1 Peter 1:18-23 Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot: Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you, Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God. Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently: Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

Sealed In Christ: Phillip

2014/9/21 5:12Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

Quote: Which comes first Jesus is Lord or the Holy Spirit revealing Jesus is Lord.

You bring up a real good point.

Now we can believe that Jesus is Lord, but is that born out in your Life, is the Lordship of Christ evident to all you know, or do you gratify the desires of the flesh.

Quote: I cannot be saved unless I believe that Jesus is Lord, which takes the Holy Spirit, so I must get the whole bucket of salvation at the same time,being born again and become a new creation, an new creature, a new creation race of Gods children, sons of God, by the Son of God birthed in me.

Just about a week a go this thread was on the board, I was posting on it.. Now you'll get all these people who'll come on some will say what they believe and the tensions will rise and before long the flesh will take hold and the division will be on show for all to see...

It's like what Paul says: "I follow Apollos," or "I follow Paul,", simply put your going to see that the whole bucket theory, tipped out as this thread descends into carnality.. We all believe that Jesus is Lord, however we don't act like Jesus is Lord.. What that tells me is that the battle between the flesh and the Spirit rages on within, that we are not governed by the Spirit of God...

2014/9/21 8:16Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Yes brother, I believe that the Baptism of the Holy Spirit as described in the book of Acts is the enduement with power from on high that is for all believers to receive after they are saved. This can happen at the same time as salvation but that is rare.

Agreeing with brother Mark and taking it one step further I believe there are multiple experiences of a baptism of the Spirit in one's experience with Christ. I believe the book of Acts supports this. I would see "baptism" and "filling" as the same thing. "they were all filled" would assume that they were baptized ie submerged in the Spirit.

One second definite experience that lasts for a life-time was a doctrine that made second blessing holiness or certain pentecostal groups exclusive and at times divisive. I believe all the terminology in these groups is actually speaking of the same experience of the holy spirit baptism (filling).

2014/9/21 12:05Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

Quote: One second definite experience that lasts for a life-time was a doctrine that made second blessing holiness or certain pentecostal groups exclusive and at times divisive.

An expert from Wikipedia on the history that Greg mentions...

In 1910, William Howard Durham preached a sermon entitled "the Finished Work of Calvary" at a midwestern Pentecostal convention. His finished work teaching "sought to 'nullify' the understanding of sanctification as wholly realized in the believer by a crisis experience subsequent to and distinct from conversion". This teaching began the controversy that divided the Pentecostal movement into a three-stage and two-stage Pentecostalism. Three-stage Pentecostalism held the Wesleyan view that there are three distinct experiences of grace—conversion, sanctification, and baptism in the Holy Spirit. Two-stage Pentecostalism, which was the non-Wesleyan view held by Durham, held that sanctification was a lifelong process that began at conversion, thus this view only professed two stages—conversion and Spirit baptism.

The full article can be found here for anyone who is interested...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finished_Work

2014/9/21 15:46Profile
dfella

Canton, Michigan

Re:

Bear asked,

What is the baptism of the Holy Spirit? Is it a second experience in ones walk with Christ?

Answering the first question:

This is my own definition based on the scriptures and I do not claim it to be exhaustive.

The Baptism of the Holy Spirit is the prophesied subsequent promised gift of the Father and anointing of God that is freely given to indwell, teach, lead, and guide every believer whom has been obedient to the command to ask for seeking and knocking and then received by faith the infilling of the Holy Spirit and endued with power from on high to walk not after the flesh but the Spirit and be witnesses for Christ, confirming the preaching of His word from the rivers of living waters with signs following through the manifestation of the gifts of the Spirit to serve one another in and through the body of Christ.

In answer to the second question:

Yes, without question.

2014/9/21 21:39Profile
wijnand

What I see in scripture is that the baptism is what Jesus promised in John 7:28-29. Rivers overflowing, that is.. the Spirit working in us and through us continuesly.

What I experienced is this:

- Repentance and faith that led to regeneration.
- After a couple of years (6) victory of sin, that I really saw it was possible and experienced it in multiple sins and from that they on other sins as well.
- After a couple of years (5) a deeper surrender and the fullness of the Spirit (baptism of the Spirit), that is: I came to God and He showed me many sins I had never seen as sin and when I repented and yielded myself to Him completly the Lord filled me with a sence of His presence, love, joy, peace that I had never known before. Before that where many depressions, failures, lack of confidence/boldness, etc. After that it was changed and I saw that Jesus Himself is the fullness of the christian life. From that everytime I can walk with Him, and He works through me.

Only one thing is that I desire more and more, for the glory of Jesus Christ. That is the same what brother Greg said I think: there are multiple fillings, we must continue seeking and asking for more of God. Just like Psalm 42:1-3. That should be our heart, to know God, to receive from Him for His glory, to build up the Church and to win the lost for Christ.

2014/9/22 2:52Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy