SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Did Jesus rescue us from God?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
TMK

NC, USA

Did Jesus rescue us from God?

The other thread about the atonement got me to thinking about this.

It is not my intent to be flippant or disrespectful.

But, in a sense, can it be said that what Jesus did on the cross was to rescue us from God?

2014/9/17 15:28Profile
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Re: Did Jesus rescue us from God?

In a sense, you could say so. But, that image of Jesus pushing us from in front of the Father's oncoming bus always bothered me. We are the ones driving the bus at Jesus. We rejected God. We aim our hatred at Him. He allowed our rejection to come to full fruition by sending His Son to the vineyard that He dug, and we killed His Son. At the same time we esteemed Him stricken, God placed the chastisement for our peace upon Him through our own nails and our own wooden cross. He submitted to it.

Did Jesus thereby rescue us from God? He is the propitiation for our sins. Was God waiting to overrun us? Wrath is being stored up against the children of disobedience. Were we disobedient? Yes. Want to think of that as rescuing us from the wrath of God? Please do! :).

Does that make God a monster? Is He not thereby just? If he is viewed as unjust, it is by those who do not know Him and deny who He is.

2014/9/17 16:11Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
But, in a sense, can it be said that what Jesus did on the cross was to rescue us from God?

I believe you are right in saying this brother. We all know that God is Love. It is the mantra of the modern evangelical church. But God is also angry. Sinners in the hands of an angry God was a famous sermon preached by Jonathan Edwards. It is not God's fault we are under wrath but our fault. We are willful rebellious sinners. But its God's love that rescue's us from our sins and from His wrath.

Modern believers cannot stomach the idea that God is angry with sin and sinners. And that there is an eternal hell.

2014/9/17 16:45Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I did not intend to suggest by my comment that God is a "monster" from whom we must be rescued.

However, there are some theological systems that when taken to their logical conclusion do seem to suggest this.

2014/9/17 19:32Profile
MaryJane

Re:

GOD is not arbitrarily dealing out punishment...we deserve hell. We are all sinner and deserve hell. Its not as if there are people out in the world who don't deserve GOD'S wrath and judgement, every single one of us does.

I hope this one fact is on everyone's mind we are sinners, we deserve death, hell and torment...and yet GOD who is HOLY, JUST and full of LOVE, MERCY, and GRACE has given us HIS SON instead.

God bless
mj

2014/9/17 19:52Profile

Re:

"But, in a sense, can it be said that what Jesus did on the cross was to rescue us from God?"

We need to see the whole plan of Salvation!
1. "For God so loved the world that he gave His only begotten Son! "
2. Jesus "humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. 9For this reason also, God highly exalted Him, and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name,…Phil. 2:8

Paul wrote: "It is a trustworthy statement, deserving full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, among whom I am foremost of all. 16Yet for this reason I found mercy, so that in me as the foremost, Jesus Christ might demonstrate His perfect patience as an example for those who would believe in Him for eternal life.…1 Timothy 1:15

Blessings, Markus

2014/9/17 20:59
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

I believe this question is clearly answered in considering the meaning of the word propitiation mentioned in Rom.3:25 and 1John 2:2. That word means to appease or satisfy God's wrath; to satisfy His righteous demand for divine justice.

As Christ hung on that cross He became as a sponge who soaked up the full force of God's wrath in our stead; the just for the unjust, to bring us to God. What a glorious truth!

Yes, there is that side of God that expresses divine wrath against sin and sinners.

I was reminded of the issue that came up about a year ago with a Presbyterian denomination foolishly wanting to remove these words from this song:

"Till on that cross as Jesus died, The wrath of God was satisfied". Like Greg said, many modern Christians and churches don't like to hear about that side of God at all.

2014/9/17 21:22Profile
Elibeth

No Brother,...on the contrary,I would say.

What Jesus did on the cross,...was He made A Way to bring us to God.
We could not come in before a Holy God,but NOW through Jesus' shed
Blood an entrance has been made for all those that will (repent) and
turn to God,(as His Grace draws,and be willing to be washed by The Water of The Word.

To bring all His,into The Kingdom of 'God'.
And if it is God' kingdom,and it is,and if God is Word / Spirit,then He will rule..be Lord through His Word / Spirit in that kingdom....As we allow,...
To be led by The Spirit of God.

It is really a mystery,

At your feet Lord,
Elizabeth

2014/9/17 21:39Profile
Man0fG0d

Re:

Great question, hope everyone is having a blessed night tonight. When discussing things pertaining to God and the Word you need only one thing to answer with, that is the Word of God.

Did Jesus rescue us from God?

Let's see what the scripture says

Psalm 7:11 KJV
God judgeth the righteous, and God is angry with the wicked every day.

Psalm 5:4-5 KJV
For thou art not a God that hath pleasure in wickedness: neither shall evil dwell with thee. [5] The foolish shall not stand in thy sight: thou hatest all workers of iniquity.

John 3:36 KJV
He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

Romans 5:8-10 KJV
But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. [9] Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be SAVED FROM WRATH THROUGH HIM. [10] For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

1 Thessalonians 1:9-10 KJV
For they themselves shew of us what manner of entering in we had unto you, and how ye turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God; [10] And to wait for his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead, even Jesus, which delivered us from the wrath to come.

---------------

Did Moses intercede for the people so that God wouldn't destroy them in His wrath? The bible says Jesus made intercession for the transgressors. God is angry with the wicked every day. Everyone outside of Christ is under God's wrath. Only by repentance and trusting IN Christ is the wrath that God has on the sinner appeased.

The answer is yes. He made the way but until one accepts that way and follows in it, they are still under the wrath of God. Christ is our only hope once under Him we are new creatures in Christ.

Remember study to shew thyself approved unto God. Love you.

2014/9/17 22:14Profile
JB1968

Ohio USA

Jesus rescued us from the Devil, Hallelujah!

2014/9/17 22:22Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy