Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Ray comfort / Humanism

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Be careful not to watch peoples words too closely and find fault in the way they have said it, but look deep into there motives. I have fell into the trap that if someone doesn't word the presentation of the Gospel "correctly" then it is error. This is not always so, you have to see their motives.. is it just to help humanity? or glorify God?

1Co 4:20 For the kingdom of God is not in word, but in power.

If the kingdom of God were in word then all of the gospels would be verbatim (exactly the same word for word). But they are not. They hold the same truth, same message, same Jesus, same Father, and same Holy Ghost. Just different words. What we (ME!) have to work on is using spiritual discernment instead of analyzing everything. I hope this doesnt come off as a reubuke, but this is what I have been dealing with in myself.

2005/4/23 11:44Profile

Re:

I think there is an attempt in the original post to say that Comfort offers and "easy-believism" salvation, if I am reading that right.

His approach is the exact [i]opposite[/i] of easy believism. I, for one, find his approach refreshing.

Humanism is what we see in most evangelism today... God has a wonderful plan for your life, He can help you with your problems... etc.

Comfort says look, you're going to hell and you dont even know it.

I think that the original poster needs to listen to the whole message and technique of Ray Comfort because I have never gotten that impression of his presentation at all.

Krispy

2005/4/23 18:17
coops

Re:

hey im gettig what you are all saying,

please understand i wasn't nit-picking etc, just honestly trying to understand it.

i have listened to/watched everything free from the livingwaters website and think his methods are great.

a few of you talked about the motives of the evangelist, i am sure they are good.

i wasn't talking about easy-believeism, but more enquiring into the motives of the sinner. they seem to be stirred by the fact hey are going to hell and want to know how to fix them problem. the script goes on:

Ray: does that concern you?
Sinner:Yes
Ray:What are you going to do about it?
Sinner: Get right (or something along those lines)

it almost looks like they are just going to do something to get their ticket out of heaven.

it seems it is half revealed: their sin is revealed, but where is the godly sorrow? doesn't it seem more like regret?
regret says: "I have sinned, and the big guy up there is now going to send me to hell for it, I had better make peace with Him"
godly sorrow says: "I have sinned agaisnt God, even with my small revelation of who He is I see how bad I am and how good He is. I deserve hell, but I want to serve Him and love Him by giving my whole life over to Him"

2005/4/23 20:20Profile
CJaKfOrEsT

Melbourne, Australia

Re:

Quote:

coops wrote:
i wasn't talking about easy-believeism, but more enquiring into the motives of the sinner. they seem to be stirred by the fact hey are going to hell and want to know how to fix them problem. the script goes on:

Ray: does that concern you?
Sinner:Yes
Ray:What are you going to do about it?
Sinner: Get right (or something along those lines)

The next line goes like this:
Ray: That's not good enough, because you can't do right to overcome evil. (Here insert Jesus paying $30,000 fine story)
Sinner: Oh wow, I see. He loves me so much.
Ray: Now you need to repent, which means to turn your back on your sin, and obey God, as the only condition of your salvation.

The point is, that he leads them into desparation over their condtion, before preaching the gospel, which is almost exactly Reidhead's model.

2005/4/24 0:28Profile
coops

Re:

Quote:
he leads them into desparation over their condtion, before preaching the gospel

*click*

i just got it. i misunderstood it and took the previous dialouge between comfort and the sinner as the attempted presentation of the gospel.

I now see that he doesnt even start with the gospel until after that, and its usually not the part that you see much of in the training videos, i guess because from that point on we should know how to present the truth!

thanks for all your help

2005/4/24 9:52Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy