SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Email, Txtng reduces mental capability?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Email, Txtng reduces mental capability?

[img]https://www.sermonindex.net/images/forum/2004/may/featured_news.gif[/img]

CONSTANT text messaging and e-mailing causes a reduction in mental capability equivalent to the loss of ten IQ points, according to research.

Tapping away on a mobile phone or computer keypad or checking messages on a handheld gadget temporarily reduces the performance of the brain, according to the study into the effects of "infomania".

The psychologist behind the research has concluded that obsessive use of phones and e-mail devices could impair mental capability even more than smoking cannabis - and suggested the modern culture of information could cause a permanent drop in intelligence.

"It is obvious that full concentration is impossible when we have one eye on e-mails or text messages," said Dr Glenn Wilson, a psychologist at the University of London who conducted the study of 1,000 adults. "But we found that mental performance, the capability of the brain, was also reduced. Workers cannot think as well when they are worrying about e-mail or voicemails. It effectively reduces their IQ.

2005/4/22 18:30Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re: Email, Txtng reduces mental capability?

I would partly agree with that... I know I use to be alot better in grammar and spelling before I started getting online.. when you text message alot you use shorthand. I write completely different when I am writing a paper for school.

2005/4/22 19:04Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
I would partly agree with that... I know I use to be alot better in grammar and spelling before I started getting online.. when you text message alot you use shorthand. I write completely different when I am writing a paper for school.

I do believe that using the Discussion forums can be a tool that if used properly can help grammer and writing skills. But I have found that the way I use the english language on the forums is something of a backslidden english! I do appreciate when people take their time to express themselves in the forums and when that happens it can become a very important and useful tool in fellowshipping and communicating spiritual truth.

2005/4/22 19:11Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy