Discussion Forum : General Topics : A New David Wilkerson Biography

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
Mangan

Sweden (Northern Europe)

Re:

Concerning Leonard Ravenhill; Gary Wilkerson writes the following:

Another figure relocated to Lindale who would serve as a great friend to my dad: Leonard Ravenhill. Since the early days of Teen Challange, Leonard had made immense contributions to the body of Christ, especially in his study of revival. In the next few years, he would become as close to a mentor as my father would ever have. Like my dad, Leonard became a respected elder statesman in the community. Young leaders paid him visits, thinking, "What a treasure to get a few minutes with this man." Three or four hours later, those guys would leave exhausted from the deepest, most intense spiritual challenge they'd ever had. Leonard was loving and respectful, but he could come across as hard. "You needed to have your ducks in a row pretty quickly," Craig Smith remembers with a grin, "because the sword could come and suddenly it's of with your head!"

"How much do you pray?" Leonard would ask some young mentee.
"Two hours a day," the guy would answer. "Then you must pray three." Yet the emphasis was never on something measurable; Leonard was always addressing a person's passion for Christ. He was a tremendous scholar on the cross and on the sufficiency of Christ, so the things he offered weren't legalistic; the were reverent. And there was an authority in what he said, because it came from his own passionate devotion. In that sense, he and my dad were cut from the same cloth.

Yet my father revered Leonard for another reason. In his friend, Dad saw what generations of his family had looked for but never found. Leonard embodied the holiness values that my dad's parents had held dear, only without the legalism. He had a sober seriousness about life in God that attracted my father, but he also laughed and had joy.

My father ended up seeking out Leonard the way young guys sought Dad. "I need to go ask Leonard about this," he would say, grabbing his car keys, or "I want to find out what Leonard's studying." It was a rare thing for my dad to be the mentee rather than the mentor, but he knew Leonard was a bit farther up the road in some important ways.

David Wilkerson: The Cross, The Switchblade, And The Man Who Believed pp 199-200.

2014/9/8 10:51Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy