SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Update on our preparations for home meetings

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Update on our preparations for home meetings

First, I praise God. When I consider the wretchedness that I am, and the depths to which our Lord sank when He assumed human flesh and subjected that flesh to the Father and suffered that flesh for the salvation of men, I am ashamed of my own existence until I also yield to the fact that God has already commended His love toward me in the death of Jesus. His valuation of His beloved children excludes any hope we might place in our own works or ways. And, still, He affords us a measure of Himself in us, and stirs up in our spirits made alive in Him a desire to please Him and obey His word. How thankful I am! I am far richer than the wealthiest billionaire and far more ahead of the most ambitious power hungry man on earth whoever he may be.

We have finished the first part of making our home ready, physically. Our garage is painted, including the floor which now has two coats of epoxy paint on it. Thank God for YouTube with me, because I learned how to prepare the floor and apply this most ornery kind of paint by watching lots and lots of videos from different sources. My wife and I spent the past two nights painting, and the several nights and weekend days before that preparing the concrete.

Meanwhile, with every expenditure we have made, and if there is any exception to this it is small, but the Lord has kindly provided immediate money from sudden sources....raises and bonuses for my wife and unexpected short term, quick turn around work that I so happen to charge almost exactly what we are spending. We have laughed and marvelled several times in this already.

More importantly, we have re-connected with two old friends who we used to belong to the same church years ago but they moved away for school. He operates a small company that serves the handicapped, and she was a teacher. They have one daughter who is only days apart from our daughter in age, and the two girls have tightly bonded. We have shared our hearts with them, and they are committing of their own response to God to meet with us. They also now attend our local church. And, they "get it" about gathering under the headship of Christ, yielding to one another and committing to one another as family. It was amazing how, when we were catching up after meeting them again after so long, their expressions of desire for God and for meeting this way almost exactly mirrored our own.

We are going to purchase a portable AC and heat pump for the garage. We found one for $170 less than any near competitor after a close brother in the Lord called me three nights ago to tell me where one was, knowing what we are doing amd trying to help. The one I ordered was different from what he found, but was an even better deal.

We have ordered insulating garage door panels. And, this weekend we are furniture shopping.

In light of this, we have started politely inviting some unbelievers. Praying for who to invite and when. God has lead me to cross paths multiple times, with no effort from me at all, with two women I know but for whom I had already started praying for when this whole matter was just a thought.

We still ask for your continued prayer.

2014/8/28 15:05Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: Update on our preparations for home meetings

Praise the Lord!! I will be praying that all goes well and Christ is lifted up!

One other thing, do you have a neighbor association? How will the neighborhood reaction to cars always on the street or in your yard every week? I'm not trying to rain on your parade or anything!!

God bless you and your endeavors!
Lisa

2014/8/28 15:26Profile
dolfan

Re:

We have indeed considered it. We have no association, but we have good neighbors and covenants. We will be small. That is our plan for now. Good question though!

2014/8/28 22:00Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Praise God brother, wonderful idea and a blessing to have such a place for the meeting of saints.

One small recommendation is before inviting strangers maybe meet with them for coffee first in your main home or at a coffee shop before inviting them to the house church meeting room. That could avoind problems if you invited mostly only those who are spiritually hungry and seeking.

I really believe if MOST christians did what you were doing and set aside part of their home as a meeting place for saints, God would use this mightily to see much encouragement in the body of Christ and growth in new conversions.

Praying for you.

2014/8/29 12:04Profile
dolfan

Re:

That is good advice regarding strangers, and well taken.

2014/8/29 12:14Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

if you felt comfortable it might be a blessing to share a few photos brother to encourage saints in similar attempts in their homes as they are led of the Lord.

2014/8/29 12:17Profile
dolfan

Re:

I will.

Can I upload photos here?

2014/8/29 12:35Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

Dolfan,

I'm really encouraged to hear this. Since we first had contact to seeing the outworking of your desire is great. I pray the Lord will bless this endeavour for His glory.

Be prepared to stick with it even if things don't immediately or always go as first thought.

2014/8/29 12:51Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Here is one photo sharing service that gives you links to share: http://share.pho.to there are other ones also.

2014/8/29 12:51Profile
dolfan

Re:

Bro. Greg, thanks for that iinfo.

And Dave, thank YOU for the encouragement to hang in, and to sister Lysa, for your prayers and encouragement.

Guys, it is funny what has happened even today. I was at my office looking over some files, and my neck starts suddenly hurting really bad. It still does right this monent, but I put some Salonpas on it and we will see. But, here is the funny part...my good friend, an unbeliever with whom I have shared Christ with on more than one occasion, who I have expressly invited his wife and him to our church and now to our home for these meetings, walked in my office door less than 5 minutes after the onset of pain and he had a box of Salonpas pain patches to give to me. I started laughing and said, "This is crazy." Then we went to lunch and I updated him on our progress. He had loaned me a 12 foot ladder to do some electrical work in the ceiling of our garage. While we were eating lunch, his wife...also a good friend...texted him to say she was such and such distance away from her monthly sales quota to get a free iPad. He texted her that he was having good thoughts for her. I said, "Tell her I am praying for her." Y'all please do that too for her (Ann is her name). We intercede for them regularly and they are people I love very much. I hope she gets her goal and I get to give credit to God for it to her.

Then, I delivered some documents to one of my clients, and as I left, my phone rang. It was the local retailer where I had ordered the clearance priced portable AC/heat pump for the garage. It was not supposed to arrive until next week; her DM drove 100 miles to bring it today. I told her I wil see her tomorrow. THEN, after I nearly wrecked because I can now not turn my head to see the lanes on either side of me all of a sudden, I stopped by the local CVS to grab some topical analgesics and came home to see if I can relax my neck for a bit before our regular Friday night bible study. When I pulled into the driveway, on our front porch were two large boxes....the garage door insulation panels my wife ordered from Home Depot online and were not due for another week.

I will take some snapshots of the as yet empty but painted garage and upload and share here. I prayed on the way home recounting how God has been faithful to us in the face of great unfaithfulness and failure and undeservedness. He keeps us. He holds us in His hands. I have never in my life seen personally the kind of favor we are seeing right now. Oh, that our love for Christ Jesus will be ever more true, ever more of the Spirit, ever more yielding and submissive because we are still wretches who deserve hell but for the fact that Christ is our righteousness.

2014/8/29 16:26Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy