SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : A Growing Sense of God

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

A Growing Sense of God

Richard Owen Roberts preached a message recently at the Family Research Council titled Something Must Be Done. If you haven't heard it yet I would encourage you to listen.

At the end of the sermon he did a question and answer session in which a man asked him how there can be a transition into preaching that changes the hearts of men such as great revival messages of the past.

Mr Roberts gave the answer that when your view of God is low, your view of self is high, your view of sin is warped and twisted, and your view of salvation is nonsense. The solution is to get back to the right view of God. He made a simple recommendation; call a halt personally to all misuse of the Bible. The Bible is first and foremost God’s revelation of Himself. Why not for a period of at least six months refuse to use the Bible to fortify self. But read the Bible and make a note of every place where God gives a revelation of Himself and where God is portraying His mind and His heart. Our biggest task in this world is to gain the heart of God, spend significant time in passages where God unfolds His heart and mind. Nothing will enlarge your heart more for revival more rapidly than a growing sense of God.

Mr Roberts suggestion really struck me and I have been taking his advice with a wonderful growing sense of God. Just as a simple example, I recently read Psalm 146 focusing and meditating on the revelation of God's character;

v.6: Which made heaven, and earth, the sea, and all that therein is - He is all powerful and wise

v.6: which keepeth truth for ever - He is ever faithful and true

v.7: which executes judgment for the oppressed - He is the great Advocate

v.7: which gives food to the hungry - He is the great supply and satisfaction of all creation

v.7: the Lord looseth the prisoners - He is the merciful deliverer, breaking all chains

v.8: The Lord openeth the eyes of the blind - He is light and shows the right way home

v.8: The Lord raiseth those who are bowed down - He is tender and compassionate

v.8: The Lord loveth the righteous - He is love

v.9: The Lord preserveth the strangers - He welcomes all

v.9: He relieveth the fatherless and the widow - He is a rock of refuge

v.9: but the way of the wicked He turneth upside down - He is the sovereign judge of all

If your view of God is low, let these thoughts lift your eyes to His glory!

In Christ,

Ron

2014/8/26 20:47Profile
mama27

Re: A Growing Sense of God

Beautiful verses to meditate on...thanks for sharing your personal experience....

Along these lines, I attended a conference last fall where Richard Owen Roberts and Paul Washer were speaking. They shared about a new video series which I have purchased, and I would like to highly recommend it - it is excellent. It is called "Behold Your God - Rethinking God Biblically" by John Snyder. There are 13 discs and a workbook that goes along with it. It might be a bit expensive for the individual, but excellent for a Sunday school class or home Bible study. The premise is what you have mentioned - our view of God is too small. Oh, that our eyes would be opened!!

2014/8/27 8:08Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re:

Thank you for the recommendation, I will check it out. I teach a 6th grade boys class at my church, do you think it would be something suitable for that grade level?

In Christ,

Ron

2014/8/27 14:36Profile
mama27

Re:

I am a bit removed from 6th grade boys as my youngest son is 22, so I am not sure I can judge. There is a website at http://www.beholdyourgod.org/ You can watch a couple minute excerpt, and I see that the first session covering Tozer is available online for free. Each session covers one of the Christian well-knowns such as Tozer, Spurgeon, Whitefield, etc. I think the series is very well done. Maybe you can judge by watching the free session online.

2014/8/27 14:49Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

Thanks Ron for your thoughts and experience. It is very encouraging.

Thanks also mamma27 for the link the 'Behold your God'. It looks interesting!

2014/8/28 4:59Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy