SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The millennial Kingdom

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
PosterThread
havok20x

Pineville, LA

Re:

So what was the purpose of the animal sacrifices in the OT then?

2014/8/27 7:14Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I would say as a temporary covering for sins and a preshadowing oh Christ's ultimate sacrifice.

2014/8/27 11:12Profile
havok20x

Pineville, LA

Re:

According to Romans, Galatians, Hebrews and other books, the sacrifices did not take away or cover sins. They were strictly shadows of Christ to come. Like the writer of Hebrews said, if they took away sin, then you could cease from offering them.

I was reading an article on GotQuestions.org and they said that if there are sacrifices during the millenium, that it would strictly be for pointing at Jesus (who would be physically present) as a memorial/reminder of the seriousness of sin and the sacrifice He made.

While I can certainly agree with that, it really doesn't explicitly say that, so I will have to do more digging to see if I am missing something or if there is a more viable understanding of what is going on in those passages.

I keep running into 2 issues:

1) A Literal interpretation that lacks in the ability to directly show how these things will come to pass or have come to pass, but includes an explanation on the level of details regarding to the meaning of everything in those chapters.

2) A spiritual interpretation that uses these passages to show how they apply to the church, but no explanation of the level of detail nor the meanings of the details for those chapters.

Both views are lacking in details connecting them to NT passages. At least as far as I can tell.

Meanwhile I am banging my head against the wall hoping I will understand...lol.

2014/8/27 12:22Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I agree that the OT sacrifices did not remit sins but were rather a "covering."

My wife has recently been reading through the Left Behind novels (again) and I suppose it would be nice if everything was laid out literally like that. When I first read them years ago I bought into and even taught those timelines and literal renderings. The Got Questions site approaches things from a dispensational mainstream viewpoint which is certainly their prerogative.

Then several years back I exposed myself to differing teachings regarding eschatology. As a result I am fairly agnostic on the issue, I.e. It doesn't really matter to me one way or the other.

Good luck understanding it all and don't bang your head too hard.

2014/8/27 12:33Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

Quote:
I was reading an article on GotQuestions.org and they said that if there are sacrifices during the millenium, that it would strictly be for pointing at Jesus (who would be physically present) as a memorial/reminder of the seriousness of sin and the sacrifice He made.

As the CRI article points out, there are verses that say the sacrifices are for atonement. I personally cannot reconcile such a thought of literal animal sacrifices in the future, with the NT teaching on Christ's ultimate sacrifice. But I know this is not an issue over which to divide.

2014/8/27 13:05Profile
havok20x

Pineville, LA

Re:

Right. That is what I am saying. It doesn't explicitly say that.

2014/8/27 15:41Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

One thing I noticed recently about this:

A literal interpretation of Ezekiel 40 et seq. would necessitate that it take place after the second coming of Christ.

Jesus said in Matthew that in the resurrection there would be no marriage.

Yet in Ezekiel 44:22 there is an instruction as to who the priests should and should not marry; in another passage there is mention of a blessing being on one's house, implying a family.

This would seem incompatible with the statement of Jesus in Matthew.

2015/5/22 9:25Profile

Re:

The millennial Kingdom, such an interesting topic. Many different perspectives, many mysteries. I took the time to reach all the posts, since this was an older thread resurrected. :)

Quote:
Anon/Noah stated: Premillennialism was replaced with Amillennialism in the third century.

I'm not certain of the historicity of Amillennialism. It's my current position though.

Quote:
TMK/Todd said:One problem that he (Matthew Henry) and other commentators note is that the size of the temple described by Ezekiel is larger than the entire city of Jerusalem and the size of the city he describes is problematic as well.

Interesting insight. I've never heard this before. Awesome.

Quote:
TMK/Todd said: I would say as a temporary covering for sins and a preshadowing oh Christ's ultimate sacrifice.

I wouldn't go as far as say it's even a 'covering' but I would agree with the later that OT sacrifices are 'foreshadowing of Christ's sacrifice'.

Quote:
Havok said: A spiritual interpretation that uses these passages to show how they apply to the church, but no explanation of the level of detail nor the meanings of the details for those chapters.

I agree with this too. I believe in a more spiritual interpretation of Ezekiel passages but it's application is difficult. Could be prayers of the saints, could be communion as Oracio seemed to hint. I'm not sure the actual application of Ezekiel.

This is a great discussion. I don't have much to add to it since there are many mysteries that I've embraced.

2015/5/22 13:30
budgie

Re: The third Temple

There is a good sermon to listen to by Steve Hickey at the following link

http://www.churchatthegate.com/messages.php

It is a free mp3 download and the title is regarding the 3rd Temple

Wes Hall also has some brilliant audio sermons on IHOP regarding Ezekiel and the Temple and sacrfices

2015/5/25 2:42Profile
budgie

Re: In reply to havok20x post

So what was the purpose of the animal sacrifices in the OT then?

There were many sacrifices that were made for the simple plan of worship to God, God was and is Holy and sacrifices were made way before the 10 commandments for the act of worship and fellowship with God.
God is Holy and the Sacrifices show this Truth.

Something to think about

2015/5/25 2:46Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy