SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Rick Warren Teams Up With New-Age Guru Ken Blanchard

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

Rick Warren Teams Up With New-Age Guru Ken Blanchard

Has anyone seen this? This is another sign of the times... things are waxing worse and worse...

Krispy

[b]Rick Warren Teams Up With New-Age Guru Ken Blanchard[/b]

[i]Lighthouse Trails Research Project

This is a Special Report.

Apr 19, 2005 While Rick Warren is gearing up to train a billion people, unbeknownst to many he has also been teamed up with New Age and contemplative promoter, Ken Blanchard, for some time now. According to a new biography on Rick Warren, A Life With Purpose written by George Mair, Rick Warren has solicited the services of Ken Blanchard to aid him in training leaders: "Rick taps the best and most famous to help train church leaders to be like Jesus. He has hired Ken Blanchard .... to come to Saddleback to help train people how to be effective leaders." p. 193

In light of knowing who Ken Blanchard is, this is shocking and devastating news for the church!

There is countless evidence to show that Blanchard sits on the New Age/mystical/contemplative bandwagon. Blanchard believes in the benefits and use of mantra meditation, yoga and has no trouble borrowing from Buddhism.

Here are just a few examples of Blanchard's devotion to mystical spirituality:

Wrote the foreword to Jim Ballard's Mind Like Water
Wrote the foreword to Jim Ballard's What Would Buddha Do At Work?
Is on the Front Cover of Corporate Mystic-(Listen)
Is on the Back Cover of Deepak Chopra's 7 Spiritual Laws of Success
Jim Ballard, a staunch New Ager, and a colleague of The Ken Blanchard Companies
Wrote the Foreword to Ellen Ladd's (clairvoyant) book, Death and Letting Go.

Blanchard makes no apology when he says much can be gained from Buddhism. He and his wife both encourage the practice of yoga (p.11) and mantra meditation.

For those who do not find the words of a biographer (Mair) linking Rick Warren with Blanchard convincing enough,Ken Blanchard, Rick Warren, and Bill Hybels (Willow Creek) have become team players at the Lead Like Jesus conferences, which take place across North America. The three also have an audio set they co-authored together.

Did Rick Warren know of Blanchard's sympathies when he brought him in to help at Saddleback? Of course he did. And do you think that Rick Warren and Ken Blanchard are going to train their "billion" soldiers for Christ how to practice New Age mysticism and learn how to go into altered states of consciousness? You bet. And that is definitely something to be concerned about.

"...they did not receive the love of the truth so as to be saved. And for this reason God will send upon them a deluding influence so that they might believe what is false ..." II Thessalonians 2: 10-11 [/i]

2005/4/22 9:46
Rahman

Re: Rick Warren Teams Up With New-Age Guru Ken Blanchard

Yo Krisp,

Holy Spirit just recently directed me to order this book:

Prophetic Untimeliness
by OS Guinness

Which pretty much says that the greatest idol in the Christian Church today is that of being/becoming "Relevant" ... So i'm not surprised by your post ...

God sees, and Hes raised/raising up folk to shine His light into the gloom ... Check this excerpt out ...

Denver Journal
Prophetic Untimeliness
by OS Guinness
http://www.denverseminary.edu/dj/articles2004/0400/0407.php

The book is divided into three sections, which take up the challenge of responding to Guinness's distressing thesis: (1) The Tool That Turned Into a Tyrant, (2) Shorn of Our Secret Strength, and (3) Restoring the Archimedean Point. The first section brings what typically remains in the cultural background into the foreground: our sense of time. The modern Western sense of time differs radically from that of earlier ages and from some other cultures even today. Time is quantified ever more precisely by the mechanical clock; it is rendered precise and makes the coordination of events easier. Yet it puts us under pressure to meet its exacting demands. "Time is the ultimate credit card; speed is the universal style of spending". But in our rush for relevance we often forfeit wisdom. Moreover, we falsely think that the new is probably the true and being "progressive" is obviously better than being "traditional." C.S. Lewis referred to this as "chronological snobbery." We thus become historically myopic (if not oblivious) and fail to learn from the past, Christian or otherwise. Yet without an anchor in the past, we become prey to the passing fads of the present and so become unfit to face the future faithfully. As Daniel Boorstin put it, "Homo up-to-datum is a dunce."

The gist of Guinness's second section, "Shorn of Our Secret Strength" is summarized by the lament that the faith-worlds of great Christian leaders such as Wesley, Edwards, Wilberforce, Spurgeon, Carl Henry, John Stott, and others is vanishing among contemporary evangelicals. "In its place a new evangelicalism is arriving in which therapeutic self-concern overshadows knowing God, spirituality displaces theology, end-times escapism crowds our day-to-day discipleship, marketing triumphs over mission, reference to opinion polls outweigh reliance on biblical exposition, concerns for power and relevance are more obvious than concern for piety and faithfulness, talk of reinventing the church has replaced prayer for revival, and the characteristic evangelical passion for missionary enterprise is overpowered by the all-consuming drive to sustain the multiple business empires of the booming evangelical subculture" (p.54). But what is the antidote?

The last third of the book charts the way of radical faithfulness and biblical fidelity. It gives no formulas, since formulas are part of the problem for a church in captivity to contemporary culture. The summons is daunting: "Thinking and acting Christianly in the blizzard of modern information and change requires the courage of a prophet, the wisdom of a sage, and the character of a saint--not to speak of the patience of Job and the longevity of Methuselah" (p. 56). We must hear and heed the call of a transcendent God, not culture. We must turn from "sola cultura"--the implicit if not explicit creed of most evangelicals today--back to "sola Scriptura." In so doing, we must be willing to embrace loneliness, as did the Hebrew prophets and to stand "against the world, for the world" before "the audience of One." We need courage, faithfulness, and the Cross of Christ, which "runs crosswise to all our human ways of thinking" (p. 100).

There is no better spokesman for this untimely but godly cause than Os Guinness. Ponder his words, however strange they may seem at first. Then lament over the worldliness and triviality of so much of evangelicalism. Then rise up and challenge the idols of relevance wherever they appear and counteract them by speaking the truth in love, come what may (Ephesians 4:15; 1 John 5:21).

Douglas Groothuis, Ph.D.
Professor of Philosophy
Denver Seminary
May 2004

i can't wait to see what He'll teach me out of this, but more importantly how He'll use me in it's message ... These are exciting times in the Christian faith to be living in!

2005/4/22 10:13Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Krispy quoted

Quote:
"Rick taps the best and most famous to help train church leaders to be like Jesus. He has hired Ken Blanchard .... to come to Saddleback to help train people how to be effective leaders." p. 193

Thankyou for this post. In my first few years as a believer I was introduced to the teachings of church growth phenomenon and church leadership programs. John Maxwell was a major contributor to the training I was participating in at the time. I soon left my first church because of the worldliness of these teachings.

In Christ
jeff

2005/4/22 11:02Profile

Re:

I was involved in some John Maxwell stuff too when I was first saved. I wont put a blanket condemnation on the whole thing... but there is some really bad stuff mixed in with the good. But... a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump.

Krispy

2005/4/22 14:17
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Ken Blanchard is far from a godly man. I just listened to a demo of one of his speaches and he used profanity....

2005/4/22 14:33Profile
Bomar

Re:

Quote:

PreachParsly wrote:
Ken Blanchard is far from a godly man. I just listened to a demo of one of his speaches and he used profanity....

Do you have a link to that speech?

2005/4/22 17:00Profile
Corneliu

I have read this article about megachurches and I have seen parts of the Joel Osteen interview (CNN, FOX News) and I am troubled by the these pastors happy-talk.
I posted just a small part of the article, here is the rest:

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=43946

A pioneer of Christian happy-talk

More than 30 years ago, Vance Havner, in his book "Playing Marbles with Diamonds," offered the following insightful:

"The devil is not fighting religion; he is too smart for that. He is producing a counterfeit Christianity so much like the real one that good Christians are afraid to speak out against it. … We are plainly told in the Scriptures that in the last days men will not endure sound doctrine and will depart from the truth and heap to themselves teachers to tickle their ears. We live in an epidemic of this itch, and popular preachers have developed ear-tickling to a fine art. Today, the angle is to avoid "negative" preaching and accentuate only the positive."

Havner wrote at a time when the work of one of America's most influential pioneers of Christian happy-talk was fomenting what is still a powerful factor in the happy-talk world. A follower of Norman Vincent Peale, Robert Schuller has become the face and voice of today's "Christian" self-esteem movement. Of course, there is nothing Christian or biblical about Schuller's self-idolatry message. It is clearly more akin to New Age thinking.

Nevertheless, Schuller is one of America's most well-known TV preachers and authors, and is pastor of arguably the most famous mega-church of all time. In fact, as pastor of The Crystal Cathedral, Schuller claims to be the father of the mega-church movement. In the April 10, 2002, issue of The Christian Century, Schuller claims, "I launched the mega-church movement through the Institute for Successful Church Leadership in 1970."

Many look to Schuller and his church as the model for achieving mega-church status. Rick Warren, Bill Hybels, Bruce Wilkinson and scores of America's best-selling authors and most well-known pastors have either spoken at Schuller's Institute for Successful Church Leadership or attended the conference. Perhaps this explains why so many of these authors avoid in-depth discussions of man's total depravity, the biblical doctrine of repentance, the moral law, or the need to die to self and reject the lie of self-love.

2005/4/25 11:25Profile
solabible

Re:

2Co 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

Lev 21:7 They shall not take a wife that is a whore, or profane; neither shall they take a woman put away from her husband: for he is holy unto his God.

Mar 7:16 If any man have ears to hear, let him hear.

2005/4/25 11:52Profile
Eli_Barnabas

Cache Valley, Utah

Re:

I ask: Where has wisdom gone?

2005/4/25 11:55Profile
solabible

Re:

Quote:
I ask: Where has wisdom gone?

Jer 4:22 For my people is foolish, they have not known me; they are sottish children, and they have none understanding: they are wise to do evil, but to do good they have no knowledge.

(Sottish: Foolish or stupid)

2005/4/25 11:58Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy