SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Is My Faith In Vain?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
I am afraid to close my eyes or go sleep..whenever I do..unbelief starts to creep into my mind.

Brother those verse in Hebrews are there [b]not[/b] to condemn you but rather to encourage you and spurn you onward in your faith in Jesus Christ. The whole theme of Hebrews is maturity in Jesus Christ and entering into the Holiest of All in His presence. Those verses show the utter sadness of people that don't mature in Christ but rather would stay in their level or even try to perfect their faith in Christ by the old works of the Law. Its a pressing onward towards what is real and that is the revelation of Jesus Christ in our hearts. Jesus Christ is the [b]substance[/b] of all the [b]shadows[/b] of the old testament.

I highly also encourage you to go out and find a copy of "Grace abounding to the chief of sinners" by John Bunyan. It is a very small autobiography of that great man of God that went through 7 years of doubt, condemnation and trials before He accepts Christ work in Him. It will surely shed much light on how you feel brother do take heart... there have been many that have gone down the road you are! God is there with you and wanting to guide you, do take His hand.

2005/4/22 19:47Profile
eagleswings

Connecticut, USA

Re: Grace Abounding

[u]Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners[/u]

http://calvarychapel.com/library/Bunyan-John/GraceAbounding/0.htm

2005/4/22 21:10Profile
helpme

Re:

John Bunyan's Journey is Great.
But for my situation I feel hopeless.
I felt utter despair when I felt that I didn't believe anymore. I was trying to believe with all my heart...but it didn't suceed.

At night when I am in bed looking into darkness is when I feel all this unbelief and uncertainty.
But in the morning when the sun is shining my faith is at a high.

It feels like I have fallen from faith and have became an apostate or something...even though I didn't reject Jesus...
I just am finding this already very hard.
I feel suicidal almost....

I still believe, but I don't know how much longer my faith is going to continue to waver.

2005/4/22 23:25Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re:

Quote:
Thank You everybody for your replies. But Last Night I had a terrible night again, I could'nt get to sleep. I was plagued this time with unbelief....I kept on prayers of faith...but I couldn't feel anything....It felt like unbelief. I was trying to so hard to believe with the fullness of my heart...but I couldn't. It feels like I have no faith

I don't mean to belittle what you are going through but you have to get your eyes focused on the right things.

In the quote above you speak several times about your feelings. It seems you are focused on your feelings and happiness. If you look at this life with eternity in focus then your feelings won't mean anything. God may not take all your troubles away, but He will walk with you through those problems. You need to take stock of your life and decide whether you love God for what He has already done for you or if you love Him because of what you want Him to do for you. What He has already done is more important then anything He will ever do for you in the future. The man of faith is not looking to himself but away from himself and unto Jesus Christ.

God has promised to walk with you;
[i]Do not be afraid---I am with you! I am your God---let nothing terrify you! I will make you strong and help you; I will protect you and save you. "Those who are angry with you will know the shame of defeat. Those who fight against you will die and will disappear from the earth. I am the LORD your God; I strengthen you and tell you, 'Do not be afraid; I will help you.' "[/i] (Isa 41:10-13 GNB)

In Christ,

Ron

2005/4/23 0:03Profile
CJaKfOrEsT

Melbourne, Australia

Re:

Quote:

helpme wrote:
I still believe, but I don't know how much longer my faith is going to continue to waver.

Brother, I feel your pain. Have been through a few episodes of this in my walk. Actually, my introduction to thios site began with this very perplexity.

May I offer a piece of wisdom? If faith is about trust, then isn't it necessary of have a degree of doubt? Otherwise it would be faith.

Normally I wouldn't recommend this sermon to anyone but the mature, but I honestly believ that You, my friend, are on that road, so here goes:
[url="https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=3352"]The Lord Coming In The Clouds[/url] *Edit* By Art Katz *Edit*.

God be with you.

2005/4/23 3:37Profile

Re:

Hi

I have had terrible times where it has felt like an awful dark cloud has come over me and I can't see for looking if you know what I mean. I have had times when I have not been able to sleep for nights due to fear and doubt including fear that I have committed the unforgivable sin and lots of other fears. I love the scripture where the man is asking Jesus to heal his son and he says 'Lord I believe, help me in my unbelief'. It means that somewhere I believe but it is temporarily veiled and I can't lay my hands on it. It is like I am clinging on with my very fingertips but the amazing thing is that it is enough. It is enough to say that to God because no matter what, He is faithful in spite of you. He will reach out and carry you and all you have to do is let Him. Don't focus on trying so hard to work yourself into some kind of great faith just simply let go of it all and trust God to catch you. Tell him that you can't do it by yourself. He knows that and He is willing and ready to help you. Also remember that the devil 'prowls around like a roaring lion seeking who he may devour' But he can roar alot but that is all. It is all lies and they can sound and even feel very real and scary but no matter what you must hold on to Jesus as He is the truth and in Him is enough grace to withstand. You don't even have to fight just stand that's all and reach out to Him in whatever capacity you have even if you think it is tiny. He will not let go of you, keep going.

I will pray for you.

Liz :-)

2005/4/23 18:06
helpme

Re:

Thank You Very Much Liz.
I understand your problem with the "Unpardonable Sin" and all...because I went through that myself..becuase I had Obsesssive Compulsive Disorder which is a mental illness which put repetetive thought in my mind.

I have a Bible Verse here that gives me some hope, but I don't know how interpret it correctly.

Quote:
"If we believe not, he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself." -2 Timothy 2:13

That verse gives me comfort but then that further proves "Once Saved Always Saved" which I don't think is correct.

Also I took Holy Communion today which was very hard for me...I was almost in tears.
I felt confident with my faith, but I start to go into unbelief again because I fall into this weird state of shock.
I really honestly deperately want this unspiritual state of mind to come to an end.

Yesterday I didn't have Breakfast or Lunch..I did have a bit of dinner but I couldn't finish it all because I felt so depressed, it feels like hell on earth.

2005/4/24 4:55Profile

Re:

The verse that you are referring to in 2 timothy 13 is, I think put clearer in my life application bible. It says 'Even when we are too weak to have any faith left, He remains faithful to us and will help us, for He cannot disown us who are part of Himself, and he will always carry out His promises'

I really am no theologian and my mind needs things to be very simply put but I think it applies as long as you don't actually turn your back on Him and purposefully go your own way which, from what you say, you are not doing. You are still holding on to Him in whatever capacity you can which is what I reckon counts. Like it has been said before don't think about your lack of belief or whatever may go on in your mind or body because it does not have to determine who and what you are. All manner of thoughts go through my mind sometimes on a day to day basis and sometimes feelings but you can choose not to let them determine who you are or what you do. Sometimes I get scared and seriously unsettled by them but I am gradually learning to let go of even trying to make myself better or sort them out and just trying to trust God to bring me through.

Have you thought about asking the church you are in to stand with you and pray? You may have already but that is always a good idea.

Liz

2005/4/24 7:37
taco

Re:

Dear Helme,

My heart goes out to you, I imagine you probaby feel a little like Peter felt in the couple of days following his denial of Christ. The words of Jesus must have been going through his mind -"If you deny me before men, I will deny you before the Father". Peter had denied Christ, the result of such a denial was clearly foretold by Jesus- end of story.

But it wasn't the end of the story! You know the outcome! You are similarly being tormented by verses in Hebrews, your goal at the moment need not be to understand those particular verses -but rather to know the heart of God, the love and mercy of Christ. It's not that these verses are not true-but the fact is they do not stand in isolation to the fullness of God's truth. Don't make trying to figure out how they fit into the bigger picture your priority at the moment, just draw close to God, He will make things clear in his time.

2005/4/24 7:49Profile
helpme

Re:

Thank you very much for replying...

Quote:
Everyone whom my Father has given me shall come to me; and he who comes to me I will not cast out. (John 6:37).

Quote:
No man can come to me unless the Father who sent me draw him; and I will raise him up at the last day. (John 6:44)

These verses are comforting, but there are many other verses about standing firm in faith and persevering.
Also about if the unbelieving branch will be cut off and cast into the fire.

I remember reading somewhere...Doubt is Can't Believe but Unbelief is Won't Believe.

2005/4/24 19:33Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy