SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Under Grace, Not Law

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

It seems that in Rom. 6:14 and Titus 2:11-12 that grace is more than a theological abstract. That it is an enabling power or dynamic by which one can live the Christian life.

Perhaps grace as used in the passages quoted in the OP is connected to the ministry of the Holy Spirit. The linked articles seemed to suggest this. In Heb.10:29 the Holy Spirit is referred to as the Spirit of Grace.

In Gal.5:18 Paul says if we are led by the Spirit we are not under the Law. This may be another way of stating Romans 6:14. Thus Paul may be implying we are not under Law but under the Spirit of grace who enables us to walk out our faith in Christ.

If I may carry this thought further. What we are speaking of is the indwelling presence of Christ living in us by His Spirit. I remember Dr. Charles Stanley saying the blood of Jesus cleanses us from the "penalty" of sin. But the Person of Jesus living inside of us helps us overcome the "power" of sin.

That my friends is rich and marvelous Grace !

From the Bearcave.

Blaine aka Bearmaster.

2014/8/19 9:43
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I agree bear!

2014/8/19 10:24Profile

Re: It is ALL GRACE

We are saved by Grace
We have been made righteous by grace
We have been made a new creation by grace
We have been justified by grace
We have been made one with God by Grace
We are now holy because of grace
We are God’s temple by grace
We have been seated in heavenly places by grace
We have been made a partaker of HIS divine nature
We have been reconciled to God by grace
We have been crucified with Christ by grace
We have been given a new heart by grace

But the best thing is that we have CHRIST Himself actually dwelling and living within us by grace.

The law can never even do one of these things

2014/8/19 10:32

Re:

That Tuc is sweet, marvelous grace. His grace.

Blaine

2014/8/19 11:01
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

Hi TMK,

I agree pretty much with what you wrote. I did not mean that 'grace' in itself is a power, but that it is the enabling power of God in giving us what we need and in particular this would be the Holy Spirit. I think the article Yuhan posted was quite good. What I was highlighting was the often wrong definition of grace to mean God just forgives us and saves us no matter what.

When the bible talks about grace it always seems to me to be talking about something that is given by God to us freely to live an overcoming life, so salvation is grace, receiving the Spirit is grace, ability to endure trials is grace, etc, etc.

If I was pushed to give one scripture that describes 'grace' in terms of it being the power of God for our needs it would be 2 Cor 12:9.....

"And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."

Here God says to Paul that His grace is His strength to Paul in his weakness, which Paul then tells us is the power of Christ on him.

I think grace and mercy get confused and used interchangeably in a wrong way. It has been said that mercy is not getting what we deserve and grace is getting what we don't deserve. I think there is truth in that, but even with this you have to consider there is more to grace than just that.

Consider James 4:6

"But He gives more grace. Therefore He says:
God resists the proud,
But gives grace to the humble.”

God give grace to the humble and not the proud. So grace cannot be something given arbitrarily.

2014/8/19 11:35Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Heydave wrote:

"Consider James 4:6

"But He gives more grace. Therefore He says:
God resists the proud,
But gives grace to the humble.”

God give grace to the humble and not the proud. So grace cannot be something given arbitrarily."

What's the difference between a proud heart and and humble heart?

2014/8/19 11:51Profile

Re:

Rookie has asked what is the difference between a proud heart and a tumble heart?

I think a proud heart is full of me. A humble heart is full of Jesus.

My simple answer.

Blaine

2014/8/19 12:03
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Brother Blaine writes...

"I think a proud heart is full of me. A humble heart is full of Jesus."

What does Scripture say the difference is?

2014/8/19 13:09Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Scripture seems to assume an understanding of what a proud heart is. Doesn't seen to be a deep concept.

2014/8/19 14:52Profile
davidkeel

West Sussex, England

Re:

Tuc, I was just wondering if when Paul said i have been crucified with Christ, was he just referring to himself ? Maybe it says it somewhere else in the new testament, I dont have a good memory at the moment so can't bring up any verses in my head.

Dave.

2014/8/19 15:07Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy