Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Renewing Your Mind

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
TMK

NC, USA

Renewing Your Mind

"Romans 12:2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God."

In this verse it seems that renewing our mind is something WE have to do.

Do we have to "free our mind" of stuff before we can renew it? I think of The Matrix movie where this was a main motif. The thread on Yoga makes it clear that there is a general Christian aversion to the idea of "freeing" ones mind.

But it would seem that in order for me to renew my mind I must first (or concomitantly) empty it of undesirable things as well.

In The Matrix movie the main character had to free his mind of everything he thought was real before he could go on with his mission. This is because what he thought was real was in fact a big fat lie.

So my question is: do we need to free our mind before it can be renewed? If so, how do we do this?

In essence, is not faith the freeing of our mind (I.e. Seeing God instead of our circumstances)?

2014/8/17 17:57Profile
ArthurRosh

Re: Renewing Your Mind

Psalm 119

2014/8/17 19:13Profile
davidkeel

West Sussex, England

Hi there TMK, I don't believe you have to clear your mind out first in order to be able to renew your mind.

by it saying "do not be conformed to this world" it is talking about us not doing things like the world does in the futility of their thinking.
I am also sure this verse isn't talking about renewing the mind over negative thinking or ideologies about ourselves as I have heard some people claim.

When we become transformed by renewing our minds we take our wrong thoughts captive and all other previous strongholds of the mind and habits that have been formed in the mind and also demonic strongholds have to bow the knee to a life of obedience to Christ in this way.

2014/8/17 20:07Profile
rufnrust

Indiana

Hey TMK. I love this section of the Word. The word renew here is to 'renovate', which means to restore to its original condition or intent. God is not just wanting to clean it up but to get it where he intended it to be.

The word of course is washing us as has been pointed to (PS 119 )

The weapons of our warfare are not carnal but they are mighty to the pulling down ( to dismantle ) of strongholds, which has also been mentioned.

I believe we are co-laborers with God on all things in His kingdom. So, yes it is something WE have to do but not apart from His gracing and enabling. When we read, meditate on , and declare His Word over our minds, the strongholds of lies and darkness are dismantled, and strongholds of truth, faith, and love etc... are established so that our mind begins to dwell on that which is lovely and of good report . etc...

I like to call it the operation of the Holy Ghost as He establishes the victory of the cross in our lives.

Just a few thoughts

Russell

2014/8/17 21:10Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy