SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : What is a theology of martyrdom?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

What is a theology of martyrdom?

Saints I have never seen this topic addressed to the forum before. But what is a theology of martyrdom? Are we called to be martyrs? Is there such a thing as a martyr's crown awaiting those who have been slain for Christ? Did the early church really value martyrdom? Do martyrs really have a special place in heaven?

Blaine

2014/8/16 15:51
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re: What is a theology of martyrdom?

In answer to the question, "Are we all called to martyrdom?", I'd say yes and no. Yes in a spiritual sense and no in a physical sense. This passage came to mind,

"Let each one remain in the same calling in which he was called. 21 Were you called while a slave? Do not be concerned about it; but if you can be made free, rather use it. 22 For he who is called in the Lord while a slave is the Lord's freedman. Likewise he who is called while free is Christ's slave. 23 You were bought at a price; do not become slaves of men. 24 Brethren, let each one remain with God in that state in which he was called."-1Cor.7:20-24

Another question that came to mind is, is there such a thing as an unhealthy and unbiblical obsession with martyrdom as with other aspects of theology?

2014/8/16 17:00Profile

Re:

Oracio,

Brother good post with good insights. Also you pose a good question. I suppose as with anything in theology there can be an unhealthy obsession with martyrdom.

Moslems evidently have an unhealthy obsession with martyrdom. So I suppose Christians could have the same with it being considered a cult. Remember the Branch Davidians?

Any way good thoughts bro.

Blaine

2014/8/16 17:18
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Josef Tson preached a sermon on his experience of suffering for Christ in Romania and his understanding of the "theology of martyrdom". The sermon is available for download here on SI, highly recommended;

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=24156&commentView=itemComments

Mr. Tson also wrote a book that goes into systematic study of the topic of the theology of martyrdom; the book is titled "Suffering, Martyrdom and Rewards in Heaven."

In Christ,

Ron

2014/8/16 17:29Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

here are a few good short videos on the subject, I especially recommend the first one:

To Live Is Christ, To Die Is Gain (Martyrdom / Persecution)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsaINMpnvww

The Remnant And Martyrdom by Michael Howard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbIsCxJICVc

The Path of a Martyr (compilation)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyMV-vzbGkM

Are You Ready for Martyrdom by Frank McEleny
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j6tzuL5HAc

One thought is that though it is good to think of martyrdom in the true sense, do we at this point say "no" to our flesh in eating habits, over sleeping, guarding our eyes from lust, or wrong conversations, etc. The disciplines of what makes a martyr is found in the true disciplined walk of a disciple now in each day. Saying no to "ungodliness and worldly lusts."

2014/8/16 18:01Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

by bearmaster

Quote:
Oracio,

Brother good post with good insights. Also you pose a good question. I suppose as with anything in theology there can be an unhealthy obsession with martyrdom.

Moslems evidently have an unhealthy obsession with martyrdom. So I suppose Christians could have the same with it being considered a cult. Remember the Branch Davidians?

Any way good thoughts bro.

Blaine

Thanks bro. I agree it's a good study because the Word is filled with examples of brave martyrdom and there is special mention of those who die as martyrs.

2014/8/16 20:26Profile
havok20x

Pineville, LA

Re:

Hebrews 11:1-12:2 is an excellent example of true martyrdom and what it looks like.

The writer of Hebrews did not parade a group of men and women in front of us to make us feel inferior. They are our examples. And after exclaiming the faithfulness, passion, and devotion of these men and women it turns to us and says thus:

Quote:
Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Our eyes are moved from them to Christ who is our supreme example.

The reason why I chose this particular passage was because the word "witnesses" is μάρτυς (martoos) and is where we get the word "martyr".

We are all called to bear witness of Jesus Christ and die to this world. Like them, we look for a city not made with hands and a kingdom who's King is eternal. This is true martyrdom. And if physical death is threatened then it will be the natural reaction to not deny our blessed hope, because our hope is not placed in this world and it's temporary things..

2014/8/16 20:54Profile

Re:

Havok, Greg shared some thing similar in his post. That we are called to martyrdom on a daily basis to die to the flesh..

Blaine

2014/8/16 23:45
narrowpath

Germany NRW

When you look up the word for martyr in the Greek "μάρτυς" you will find that it means "witness" in most places and "martyr" in 3 other places"

Act 22:20
Rev 2:13
17:6

2014/8/17 13:14Profile

Re:

Is the same Greek word for martyr used on Acts 1:8?

Blaine

2014/8/17 13:30

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy