SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Flower Power: A mediation about Power

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
roadsign

Flower Power: A mediation about Power

I post this meditation in view of the present discussion about using weapons for self defense.
------
Acts 1:8 “But you will receive POWER when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth. ” NIV
------
The yellow daffodils outside my window seemed to lure me with a strange pull as I gazed upon them. They possessed the power to transport me into a state of exhilarating joy. They cheered me up! Winter was over!

That was not merely the imagination at work! These spring blooms truly had power. It was the power of the sun from which they received life. I witnessed this power through their quiet innocent beauty. I call it flower power! Flower power is wonderful. It is never intrusive; but always inviting. It will affect you for the better.

But there’s a bad kind of flower power too - as in hogweed, a giant plant spreading at an uncontrollable rate in my area. Hogweed can grow up to 20 feet high with a stem 4 inches wide. Its floral head can stretch 3 feet wide. Hogweed has an insatiable lust for power and domination. It is invasive, destructive, and poisonous. Its power makes you want to flee from it.

Daffodils and hogweed illustrate two opposing forces: The POWER OF LOVE and the LOVE OF POWER. One feels safe and welcoming - like the daffodil; the other feels intrusive and overbearing - like the hogweed. One encourages you to be yourself; the other, to hide behind a self-protective façade. The one nurtures life; the other quenches life.

Love never attempts to control or dominate. It never craves power. It does not need to win an argument, to be noticed or esteemed. It never uses advantage to assert itself over another – be that the advantage of knowledge, flattery, cleverness, or our position in life.

We all struggle with the temptation to love power. It can easily take hold in our hearts and get out of control, like the hogweed. The power to love is quenched, and we cannot fulfill our calling. We cannot love both power and our neighbour. It’s impossible. No wonder Jesus taught his followers to surrender all desire for power or advantage. Yet, he did not call us to be passive or powerless. Quite the contrary! Jesus said, “You will receive POWER when the Holy Spirit comes on you...” What is this power? It is the power of the Son’s love within! This love at work in and through us will accomplish far more good than any human power ever can.

The power of love is not measured by the amount of time dedicated to a commitment, but by the power released through it. Our strongest influence is not what takes most time, but what exerts the most power – precisely, the power of love. Here is, in fact, the means by which we fulfill Christ’s promise to be his witnesses. Love is the very power of God, witnessed by those around us.

2014/8/8 20:31Profile
mama27

Re: Flower Power: A mediation about Power

Beautiful illustration, Diane...

Though not the main point I don't think, I was particularly struck by the sentence, "Love never seeks to control or dominate"....This is meaningful to me as I have 2 prodigals, and in fact most of my children are making choices in their young adult lives that to me seem worldly, carnal, against God, and certainly contrary to how they were raised. My flesh at times would like to tie them to a chair, or berate them with words in a futile attempt to keep them from harm and evil. But that is not love. And it could never bring about heart change... I so want to have the irresistible "power" of a spirit radiating Christ - a spirit that would draw them, rather than condemn them....I fail so often...But God....

Thanks for sharing...

2014/8/9 10:02Profile
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
I so want to have the irresistible "power" of a spirit radiating Christ - a spirit that would draw them, rather than condemn them...

May God grant you this power in ABUNDANCE.

Diane

2014/8/9 11:35Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy