SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Did Jesus whilst on earth live and walk by faith?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Tomo07

Australia

Did Jesus whilst on earth live and walk by faith?

Did Jesus whilst on earth live and walk by faith? or being God did he not need faith? if the latter is true, then how could He be our example?

I would say he was fully man and fully God but relinquished the power unto the Father and lived and walked by faith in the one whom had sent Him

This question really intrigues me though.

2014/8/5 8:42Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Did Jesus whilst on earth live and walk by faith?

Might depend on how you define faith. Is it blind obedience? Just plain obedience? Or, how do you define it?

2014/8/5 11:20Profile
Tomo07

Australia

Well....

This is where it gets interesting, but also, important not to assume but stick to scripture. Hebrews defines faith as,

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen" ( Hebrews 11:1-2 ).

So my question remains, Jesus came to do the will of the father, with a plan to die and be our offering, the Lamb of God. However,
Did He carry this out in His own strength because He was God or, Did He need to exercise faith in the Father entrusting His life and all the miracles He done, in the father and by His power through faith rather that His own? I would not say blind faith as blind faith isn't faith, but rather as you said obedience, unto what? the fathers will not His. as was prayed in Gethsemane. " nonetheless, not mine but thine will be done".

2014/8/5 17:40Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

The end of the "hall of fame of faith" passage is not Hebrews 11, but us actually Hebrews 12, where in verse 2 Jesus Christ is held up as the supreme example of faith. So much so he is considered the "author and perfecter of faith." This statement makes The Lord a paradigm and model of faith for us all. His supreme example of faith was on the cross when he cried out "Into thy hands I commit my spirit."

On the cross he trusted God with his very life, giving himself over to death, in hope that God would raise him to life again after three days. He trusted that God would not let his holy one suffer decay, nor abandon his soul to hades. And all he has to hang his hopes on were these seemingly vague promises of the prophets, upon whom he had given a unique and never before given interpretation of Scripture.

Jesus operated by faith the whole of his life, and did so even to the point of death. For the joy set before him, he endured the cross, and despised the shame.

2014/8/6 5:58Profile
rookie

Re:

Many of the Psalms written by David are actually the testimony of Jesus's walk by faith. Here is just one example...

Psa 16:1
A Michtam of David.

Preserve me, O God, for in You I put my trust.

Psa 16:2
O my soul, you have said to the LORD,
“You are my Lord,
My goodness is nothing apart from You.”

Psa 16:3
As for the saints who are on the earth,
“They are the excellent ones, in whom is all my delight.”

Psa 16:4
Their sorrows shall be multiplied who hasten after another god;
Their drink offerings of blood I will not offer,
Nor take up their names on my lips.

Psa 16:5
O LORD, You are the portion of my inheritance and my cup;
You maintain my lot.

Psa 16:6
The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places;
Yes, I have a good inheritance.

Psa 16:7
I will bless the LORD who has given me counsel;
My heart also instructs me in the night seasons.

Psa 16:8
I have set the LORD always before me;
Because He is at my right hand I shall not be moved.

Psa 16:9
Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoices;
My flesh also will rest in hope.

Psa 16:10
For You will not leave my soul in Sheol,
Nor will You allow Your Holy One to see corruption.

Psa 16:11
You will show me the path of life;
In Your presence is fullness of joy;
At Your right hand are pleasures forevermore.

This is one of Jesus's prayers to the Father.

2014/8/6 6:57Profile
jujashan4

Re:

Without faith it is impossible to please God.
Jesus said he only said what He heard from the Father.
I think there are many verses that indicate that Jesus lived a life of faith daily depending on His Father.

By the way Tomo, where abouts in Australia are you?
I'm in Ipswich, QLD.

2014/8/7 22:47Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Php 2:-11 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Jesus did not think it taking what did not belong to Him to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation. A very literal translation says that he emptied Himself. Though He never surrendered His rightful place as God (recall that He plainly told the Pharisees that He was God) yet He surrendered His divine privilege to live and die as a man on this earth.

Heb 2:17 Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people.

He was made like us in ALL things.

In John 5, Jesus said that He could do nothing of Himself, but what He sees the Father do, that He does. In John 14 Jesus said that it was not Him that did the works, but rather the Father that dwelt in Him.

Jesus was called the Christ. This term means the anointed one. Jesus was anointed by God. He was filled with the Holy Spirit during John Baptist's ministry. After that infilling He was immediately tempted and began His ministry and miracles. It was the Father in Him, the Holy Spirit of God, that allowed Him to do the works that He did. Obviously that walk was one of faith, just as it is withy us. I think it is interesting to study how many times the New Testament refers to faith IN Christ and how many times it refers to the faith OF Christ.

There was one distinction that we can find between Jesus and ourselves. We are given the Holy Spirit by measure. This is why there is a limitation on our operation in the gifts of the Spirit, God dealing to every man severally as He wills. But in Joh 3:34-35 we read, "For he whom God hath sent speaketh the words of God: for God giveth not the Spirit by measure unto him. The Father loveth the Son, and hath given all things into his hand." Jesus was filled with the Spirit without measure. God gave ALL things into the hands of the Son. We are given SOME things by measure.

The bottom line is that Jesus did not do the miraculous works we find recorded in the NT because He was God. Although He was 100% God, His operation while on earth was as the son of man (100% man) and the source of His miraculous power was the same source that God will use to empower us as believers, the power of the Holy Spirit of God.

You know, it is interesting that Jesus knew that He was God and that He could, if he wished, operate in that divine privilege.

Mat 26:52-54 Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword. Thinkest thou that I cannot now pray to my Father, and he shall presently give me more than twelve legions of angels? But how then shall the scriptures be fulfilled, that thus it must be?

Yet Jesus did not operate in that privilege but humbled Himself and became obedient even to the cross. It is so wonderful to me to think that Jesus did this. Without His obedience I would be lost. Because of His obedience I can be right with God. This should make me want to be obedient to Him in all things.

2014/8/9 10:41Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy