SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The Lord's Supper/Communion.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
Man0fG0d

Re:

Evening to you brother, are you having a good day?

You said:

The Lord's Supper does nothing to cleanse me, just as baptism does not cleanse me. I must be clean prior to both of those things.

Indeed, an unsaved man that gets baptized Will go down a dry sinner and come up a wet one haha. You must be clean to take communion, that is why the Scripture says Examine yourself. That's not the point I was trying to make, but rather that after you have taken communion you know where you stand with God. You have examined your self, and repented of any sin. So you know that you are pure, you know that you have been cleansed, and you have honored the Father by Remembering Christ.

So that gives you boldness to ask God for anything you need, because you know that there is nothing in you unclean that would hinder your Prayers and that you are in perfect condition to receive.

As for the other Question. I haven't read any Scripture that says we should only take communion in church. Jesus did say this do in remembrance of me. I take communion often at home. Our church takes it every month, but if I'm going to be Preaching then I take communion because it causes me to examine myself.

-------------

Saying all that, let Me say it was good to hear from you. I've got to cut it short. Till I hear from you again, God bless.

2014/7/22 17:06Profile
havok20x

Re:

Man0fG0d,

I am having a fairly good day. Thanks for asking.

Your response makes sense to me. You're saying that if one partakes of communion correctly, then he would have already properly examined himself and not eating/drank condemnation to himself and repented of sin, etc. I can understand that.

I have never even considered the concept of taking communion at my house by myself. I am not sure if that is biblical, and I don't mean that against what you're saying, but it is just a new concept to me.

So, the question that I have is this: Should I teach other believers to take communion by themselves?

2014/7/22 17:58Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I don't think I would encourage people to take communion by themselves. However I do not think it is "wrong" to do so. The idea is to reflect and remember what Christ did and if I feel I need to do that and communion would help then I would do it.

I personally have not (yet) taken communion by myself.

2014/7/22 21:39Profile
Sidewalk

San Diego

Re: communion alone

There are so many individual ideas about the meaning of the Communion elements, but if you believe they symbolize taking in more of Christ to become more conformed to Him, you would have no reservations of taking it alone.

It is also very moving to take communion with just one other believer, a little like an exercise in personal accountability.

Communion is an under-utilized blessing for most believers, they are usually constrained by the practice in their churches, and often believe it must be served by state registered clergy people.

Groan...

2014/7/22 23:33Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

Quote: Havok wrote, """The Lord's Supper does nothing to cleanse me, just as baptism does not cleanse me. I must be clean prior to both of those things."""

How is this cleanliness accomplished for the believer?

In Christ: Phillip

2014/7/23 3:26Profile

Re:

Quote:
Communion is an under-utilized blessing for most believers, they are usually constrained by the practice in their churches, and often believe it must be served by state registered clergy people.

I wonder what others think about the early Quakers, who were just about the best example of a group of believers we have ever seen bar the early church.

They loved each other so much that persecution prison sentences for the weaker members were served by the stronger ones. They had such strong ethics of honesty especially in business, that they later became extremely successful, people having learnt to trust them. They were the first Christians to send out missionaries. The early books by them are an example of how spiritual they were.

They did not take partake in communion or practise water baptism (or have paid ministers or a pulpit)

2014/7/23 3:42
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Simple krautfrau.

The Friends were disobedient to the Lords commands.

One of the main reasons I left a Friends church I used to attend.

Just because they are awesome in some areas (like Catholics) does not mean they are correct in others.

2014/7/23 8:28Profile
havok20x

Re:

Philip,

Ezekiel 36:24-27

"For I will take you from the nations and gather you from all the countries, and will bring you into your own land. I will also sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean. I will cleanse you from all your impurities and all your idols. I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; I will remove your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. I will place My Spirit within you and cause you to follow My statutes and carefully observe My ordinances."

Titus 2:14

"He gave Himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to cleanse for Himself a people for His own possession, eager to do good works."

Hebrews 10:22

"...let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed in pure water."

So there is a sense in which we are clean because of the work of Jesus Christ. My soul is clean. I stand pure before the sight of God because I have been made righteous, having believed the Gospel of Jesus Christ and regenerated by the Holy Spirit.

There is also cleansing in regards to sanctification:

2 Corinthians 7:1

"Therefore, dear friends, since we have such promises, let us cleanse ourselves from every impurity of the flesh and spirit, completing our sanctification in the fear of God."

James 4:8

"Draw near to God, and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, sinners, and purify your hearts, double-minded people!"

There is also a sense in which we are pursuing holiness and sanctification and are constantly inventorying our lives in order to bring ourselves more and more into submission to Jesus Christ, cleansing ourselves. Although we all know that apart from Him, we can do nothing. So even that is not solely our prerogative.

2014/7/23 9:15Profile

Re:

Quote:
The Friends were disobedient to the Lords commands.

One of the main reasons I left a Friends church I used to attend.

TMK

The early Friends were absolutely not the same as the later ones. I think they started to go downhill before the death of Fox. Entire Sanctification which the early ones had, was increasingly seen as not important.

2014/7/23 9:45

Re:

cancelled duplicate post.

2014/7/23 10:08

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy