SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Greek Help in James

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Delboy

Worthing UK

Re: surely not!

PORT VALE FOOTBALL CLUB AND ATKINS...? :-)

2005/4/21 4:18Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
PORT VALE FOOTBALL CLUB AND ATKINS...?

So what wrong with Port Vale Football Club? How long have you got...?

Still, its biblical! 1 Thess 5:14 (KJV) clearly instructs us to support Port Vale! :-D

2005/4/21 4:38Profile
Delboy

Worthing UK

Re:

VERY GOOD I'M LAUGHING STILL :lol:
Brother,have you struggled long with this affliction?
pete Elks suffers in a simular way with the rare Derby countyousus
maybe NCW can help?

2005/4/21 5:02Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

I think we ought to let our friends across the ocean into this little local joke. Port Vale Football Club is one of the worst football clubs in the UK, but their ground was a 10 minute walk from where I was born and raised.

There is an old joke about Port Vale that runs like this.

dring, dring (telephone.)
"Yes, Port Vale Football Club. How can I help you?"; Club Official

Caller: "What time is kick off tonight?"

Club Official: "What time can you get here?"

2005/4/21 14:22Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Thanks Philo... this is what I was looking for..either a correction or affirmation.. but what about Strongs, it says close to the same thing? I didnt know much about Thayer.. thanks..

2005/4/21 14:52Profile
ReceivedText

Seattle, Washington, USA

Re: Greek Help in James

Does someone need to know Greek to truly understand the Bible??? If that is true, then every church in the world should begin offering Greek lessons to all. Crazy, but this is what we gather from preachers who constantly get their kick off of saying, "in the ORIGINAL Greek it REALLY says..." If you really can't understand the Bible correctly without knowing Greek, then the preacher stands in between the people and God. We have Roman Catholicism back again.

The truth of the matter is that every time we "go to the Greek," we are RE-TRANSLATING the Bible. Let me ask you a question. Do you feel qualified to translate the Bible? The men who translated the KJV were eminent scholars who really knew Jesus Christ and had the fear of God that if they were to gravely err in their translation that their name would be blotted out of the book of Life.

New scholars believe the Bible should be translated like any other book. Check me out. They pick and choose and guess what they think is right because they entertain a corrupt textual stream.

For more info click here:
[url=http://www.bbconfire.com/articles/drdavidbrown/greatuncials.asp]http://www.bbconfire.com/articles/drdavidbrown/greatuncials.asp[/url]

You don't have to know Greek to understand the Bible, it has been accurately translated for you by a committee of many men who took the whole counsel of a whole country: England. Any man could send in suggestions to the committee. Private interpretation?? Nope. Not with the KJV.

Blessings,

TR

2005/4/23 16:40Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

So in other words your saying its a waste of time to want to look at the greek? and the KJV is infallible?

Quote:
Private interpretation?? Nope.

Thats why I started this thread.

2005/4/23 18:17Profile
ReceivedText

Seattle, Washington, USA

Re: All true Bibles are infallible

Of course it is not a waste of time to look at the Greek. It is just not necessary to understand the Bible and it's message. Greek words like "diakonos" were taken right across into English as "deacon." Here a simple knowledge of the Greek could help. But the Bible has a built in dictionary. If you look at the first, second, or third mention of the word in the Bible it will define itself. Take the word "cockatrice." Do you know what a cockatrice is? Go look at the first mentions of this word. You will find it is a fiery, flying, serpent. And that is just what a cockatrice is. God defined it in the Bible. This works throughout scripture.

The German Luther Bible is God's word in German, the Reina-Valera Spanish is God's word in Spanish, and so on. English is not the only pure vernacular translation. If translations can't be pure, we all need to learn Greek and Hebrew. How can you dispute this?

Can you really hold up your Bible and say it is infallable? I hope you can. Can you say, "Every promise in the book is mine, every promise, every verse, every line?"

2005/4/23 20:45Profile
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

Re:

Quote:
You don't have to know Greek to understand the Bible, it has been accurately translated for you by a committee of many men who took the whole counsel of a whole country: England. Any man could send in suggestions to the committee. Private interpretation?? Nope. Not with the KJV.

I'm no scholar of greek or the scriptures as brethren like Philologos, Eric or Robert and some others, but would it not have been wiser to consult the Holy spirit on this? If they did and that's the answer they got then it's all good. In scripture you mentioned at the end there, doesn't the private interpretation refer more to someone reading the scripture and coming up with using his mind with an interpretation? The verse also says that the men wrote as they were moved by the spirit so the words were given to them by the Spirit and therefore require the spirit to interpret. is this a correct assessment?

2005/4/24 1:51Profile
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

Re:

Quote:
Can you really hold up your Bible and say it is infallable? I hope you can. Can you say, "Every promise in the book is mine, every promise, every verse, every line?"

I can, even though I have a good news and n.i.v. I simply leave the interpretation part to the Holy Spirit and let Him teach me. What of those people for example in my country of Zimbabwe that read the shona bible or ndebele one which is translated from English versions which may or may not be textus receptus(?) Some words in English simply have no equal in shona or ndebele and can't really be translated accurately, while some other words in the shona and ndebele are actually better fitting in terms of context than the english. What of those people? Does not having the textus receptus diminish how God can use them or teach them through scripture? I don't think so, I could be wrong also.

2005/4/24 2:07Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy