SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The Loud Door in the Sanctuary

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
havok20x

The Loud Door in the Sanctuary

So, I was in church yesterday and there was a discussion going on concerning a loud door in the sanctuary (the place where the preacher preaches). It was stated that we need to fix the door (which I don't oppose) because "if God is dealing with a person and the door slams, it may distract them." And of course, by proxy, that person might go to hell because someone got up to use the restroom or a person might be stuck in their sins because God couldn't get through to them because someone wanted a drink of water.

Do I have a right to be upset about this? I mean the door is annoying, but to say that God just can't work in my church because people use that door seems really silly to me. Is God a shy, benevolent fairy that requires people's undivided attention before He is capable of working in their hearts and will shy away at even the slightest noise or distraction?

If God were a hypnotist, maybe that loud door would be a problem, but we are talking about the One who tells a star to do this and it does it or to go here and it goes there!

I didn't say anything. I wanted to, but I didn't want to stir up an argument, but it has been weighing heavy on me.

2014/7/14 16:20Profile
dolfan

Alabama

Re: The Loud Door in the Sanctuary

Wow! I guess that's why the disciples tarried in an upper room for the Holy Spirit. : )

I'm teasing of course. You hear that kind of silliness about different things all the time. It is almost like, instead of blaming the door, they are blaming God for not being able to overcome it. I know they don't REALLY think that, but functionally that is where they are.

I had another similarly troublesome thing said in the room where I was today (my aunt's funeral). I think sometimes all you can do is shake your head and grit your teeth in silence, smile and decide to think they're charming.

2014/7/14 17:12Profile
roadsign

Re:

Thank you for sharing this - and inviting reflection from others. I share mine.

Quote:
... but it has been weighing heavy on me

This is the main point of concern for you: what's happening inside of YOU. You do not have control over what others say or do. There's no end of crazy notions "out there" - even in "God's house" and taking it in could drive you to insanity. In the end of the day, we are each responsible for our own inner tranquility. No one can rob that from us unless we let them. If you can listen to this crazy kind of stuff and retain your joy and peace, then it's fitting to stay and be who God wants you to be. If you can't, it's fitting to remove yourself and be who God wants you to be. If this teaching holds your attention hostage, you won't be free to be a hospitable presence for others in your life.

Frankly, I would go a step further. I would remove my children from this man-centered kind of religion. I would not expect to "convert" the preacher. He's got his convictions.

Diane
"Guard your heart, for it is the well-spring of life." Prov.

2014/7/14 17:47Profile

I personally think the sanctuary should be as quiet as possible if God is dealing with a person or persons. It is not that God is shy or has any failing obviously, it is we humans that are so prone to distraction, in a perfect world we would not be, but we are. Try preaching a message with a constantly screaming child :) Take the kid outta there, cmon , common sense should apply :) ........bro Frank

2014/7/14 17:48
savannah

"...we are talking about the One who tells a star to do this and it does it or to go here and it goes there!"

I can't comment with much stronger words than you've already written. It does not seem to me like they know the God I do.

Please read the quotes I have chosen to accompany each one of my posts, and you should understand what I mean by "It does not seem to me like they know the God I do."

Have you ever considered another assembly of God's saints?

2014/7/14 17:56Profile
roadsign

Re:

Of course it's possible to fix the door without making it a grand theological precipice.

2014/7/14 17:57Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I agree with Frank.

I believe the devil uses distractions-- just like that slammed door. We are in a battle. I am not saying that God can't overcome a slammed door but sometimes the devil wins the day. Sorry if that is offensive but it is true. If someone is under heavy conviction a slammed door may provide just the "out" they need to come to their senses so to speak.

Fixing a door so that it does not slam should not be that big of a deal and I am not sure why somebody just cant take care of it without having a meeting about it. Of course I couldn't because I am only marginally handy.

2014/7/14 19:08Profile
havok20x

Re:

Okay, so clearly there are some people here who think exactly what I think or who think totally differently.

What do the Scriptures say?

2014/7/15 9:40Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Unbelievers are in the power of the evil one (1jn 5:19), caught in the snare of the devil (2 Tim 2:26) and in bondage to Satan (Eph 2:2)

So the devil is doing everything in his power to keep people from coming to Christ because a believer is no longer under his rule.

I believe that satan uses deep things like false philosophies and humanism but he also uses simple things like distractions, including a slamming door.

I can think of times in my own life as a believer that I was under strong conviction during a message and got distracted by a crying baby or someone unwrapping a piece of candy. The conviction then lifts. I am not saying the enemy is always behind this but he might be in some cases.

2014/7/15 9:58Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy